Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arizona State Sun Devils 2016-17 -- Year Two!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona State Sun Devils 2016-17 -- Year Two!

I figured I would start a new thread for the Arizona State hockey fans out there.

Attached is the link to the original post that was created.

Year two for Arizona State and lots of questions and in some areas, not enough answers.

The schedule this season is a great improvement. ASU will face seven of the Top 15 teams that were in the recently released USCHO poll. They could end up playing eight of those teams if they play St. Cloud State in the Classic. ASU will play every conference, with the exception of the WCHA. They are playing five Hockey East programs (possibility of six depending on Classic results) and five from the ECAC. ASU has a few non-D1 games, as they host a weekend with Southern New Hampshire, Simon Fraser and travel to the USA U-18s. The home schedule features Air Force, Harvard, Michigan, RPI and Colgate. A huge upgrade from last year in terms of quantity of D1 opponents. Additionally, St. Cloud St, Brown and UConn will be in the Classic, held outside of the Phoenix metro area.

Which brings us to the most asked question – what about the arena situation? I have been riding the roller coaster on this one and today there is very little public information out there. There were initial talks of joining forces with the Arizona Coyotes in their new rink. However, the Coyotes have gone silent, leading many to believe they are having their own problems. There were internal discussions of an on campus midsized arena to be shared by hockey, wrestling and gymnastics. But there has been little to go on for this and the media in this market are not covering this side at all and did very little in Powers’ press conference last week to seek answers. As everyone knows, the long term future of this team will be determined by the arena. For this season, the team will play four home games at Gila River Arena (Coyotes home) arena, two in Prescott Valley in their beautiful hockey venue (used to be a minor league hockey team there) and the rest at makeshift Oceanside Arena. While it is fun to watch a game at Oceanside, it is not close to an acceptable D1 facility. It holds 750 max and still surprises me we get teams in, but thankful teams are willing to come out. I’m sure a break from the weather, etc. make sit a nice trip.

The next big question will be the conference. We have been told no from the Big Ten and NCHC, for now, so it will be interesting to see where that goes. While the current landscape of college hockey and possible changes may be impacting this, the arena situation has to be the real issue.

The on-ice product looks to be greatly improved. ASU had a handful of guys that redshirted last season that should contribute right away. Last year’s roster was a hybrid type of club and NCAA guys. There is some talent in goal and last season’s early mainstay, Ryland Pashovitz, will not even be making the trip. I have to imagine freshman Joey Daccord gets the nod at Notre Dame. Daccord was a seventh round pick in the 2015 draft.

Offensively the team was miserable last season against D1 opponents, but there should be an upgrade this season. The Maroon and Gold game last week was very entertaining with a lot of offense.

Looking forward to year two and being a part of this great sport! Go Devils!

Re: Arizona State Sun Devils 2016-17 -- Year Two!

I sort of feel like they're in a catch-22 with the Arena and Conference issues. I feel like the school is hesitant to invest in an expensive on-campus arena without a spot in a major conference and a guaranteed future, and the conferences are hesitant to offer ASU a spot without an arena and a guaranteed commitment to the program from the school. That's not to mention the travel concerns and the uncertainty right now in college hockey (everyone seems convinced another shakeup is coming). Sooner or later one side or the other is going to have to take a leap of faith or ASU hockey could be in trouble.

Anyways, I'll be really interested to see how you guys do on the ice this year. Definitely a better team, but a much tougher schedule to go along with it. I'm excited to see you guys come up to Columbus next semester. OSU fans (the students at least) aren't the most knowledgeable when it comes to college hockey outside the Big 10. They generally have very little idea of who the traditional powers are. I think there will be a lot of excitement to see a national big-name football/basketball school come to town.
    Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
    University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
      I sort of feel like they're in a catch-22 with the Arena and Conference issues. I feel like the school is hesitant to invest in an expensive on-campus arena without a spot in a major conference and a guaranteed future, and the conferences are hesitant to offer ASU a spot without an arena and a guaranteed commitment to the program from the school. That's not to mention the travel concerns and the uncertainty right now in college hockey (everyone seems convinced another shakeup is coming). Sooner or later one side or the other is going to have to take a leap of faith or ASU hockey could be in trouble.

Anyways, I'll be really interested to see how you guys do on the ice this year. Definitely a better team, but a much tougher schedule to go along with it. I'm excited to see you guys come up to Columbus next semester. OSU fans (the students at least) aren't the most knowledgeable when it comes to college hockey outside the Big 10. They generally have very little idea of who the traditional powers are. I think there will be a lot of excitement to see a national big-name football/basketball school come to town.
      You may be right about it being a catch-22. My personal feeling is since we made the commitment it is our responsibility to build the arena first and prove our worth. Many folks are building nice mid-sized arenas for 50-60 million. Not cheap, but doable. Not to mention hockey in the youth levels has really taken off here in Phoenix, so you could get a lot of people interested in renting the facility. Now if they are waiting on the Coyotes to share with them, than all bets are off. Hopefully we get something during the season.

Travel costs are a concern I'm sure, but they had to know all this going in. They have stated publicly they believe the sport can break even or maybe make a little revenue. More words I know, but I will remain an optimist.

I saw our game with you all on Jan.14 will be on ESPNU. That is great for us! But as with you and probably more so with us, we do not have many fans that know college hockey. We have a lot of work to build a foundation.

Comment

I was under the impression the B1G wanted ASU to bail on the PAC and become a full member in the B1G? We know that wasn't because that would be overall beneficial to ASU but because the B1G wanted to extend their sphere of influence from coast to coast for TV revenue and recruiting.
        Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-05-2016, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Based on their strength coupled with being a young club, they should move into the WCHA. They would be competitive in that conference and it's the
          best fit for them.

Comment

Greg Powers was on thepipelineshow.com and had a nice interview with Guy Flaming. You can listen here.

Also freshman goalie Joey Daccord was listed 55 on The Hockey News Top-75 Players to watch. You can read that one here.

Go Devils!
            Last edited by Revs89; 10-06-2016, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bar Down View Post
              Based on their strength coupled with being a young club, they should move into the WCHA. They would be competitive in that conference and it's the
              best fit for them.
              I know the WCHA wanted ASU initially. I haven't heard if that is still the case. In the interview I just posted, the head coach says they will remain playing an independent schedule again next season and possibly two more years.

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89 View Post
                You may be right about it being a catch-22. My personal feeling is since we made the commitment it is our responsibility to build the arena first and prove our worth. Many folks are building nice mid-sized arenas for 50-60 million. Not cheap, but doable. Not to mention hockey in the youth levels has really taken off here in Phoenix, so you could get a lot of people interested in renting the facility. Now if they are waiting on the Coyotes to share with them, than all bets are off. Hopefully we get something during the season.
                I was under the impression that they were waiting for the Coyotes to partner and build an arena in Tempe.
                RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                  I was under the impression that they were waiting for the Coyotes to partner and build an arena in Tempe.
                  That was the talk initially. Then it turned towards an on campus arena. Powers said in his interview with Guy Flaming that there are two options (guessing those are the two) that are being reviewed. I personally want the midsized on campus arena, but time will tell.

Comment

I get the sense that the WCHA is not prestigious enough or perhaps below their level. It's too bad because that's where they really belong until the PAC 10 has a hockey conference.

Comment

I get the sense that the WCHA is not prestigious enough or perhaps below their level. It's too bad because that's where they really belong until the PAC 10 has a hockey conference.
                      I certainly don't view the WCHA as less and sure hope nobody on the admin side does either. It could still be our conference home. As for a Pac-12 hockey conference, that is our hope, but so far the other P12 schools are not entertaining that in their immediate future and I don't expect it.

Comment

Scheduling must be a nightmare, that will have to get old pretty soon. Winning will be easier in the WCHA.
                        Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Do you really feel the PAC will have a hockey conference in this lifetime?
                          NCAA rules are there must be a minimum of 6 conference teams to achieve NCAA status. Who else would there be and what facilities do they have?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                            Do you really feel the PAC will have a hockey conference in this lifetime?
                            NCAA rules are there must be a minimum of 6 conference teams to achieve NCAA status. Who else would there be and what facilities do they have?
                            The conference schools mentioned are Arizona, UCLA and Oregon. But the Arizona AD is on record as saying it isn't on the radar. So it is a moot point as it is not happening anytime (if at all) soon. UNLV would be the most likely out west to do something. I'm not sure how close they are on it, but the new NHL team can only help.

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89 View Post
                              The conference schools mentioned are Arizona, UCLA and Oregon. But the Arizona AD is on record as saying it isn't on the radar. So it is a moot point as it is not happening anytime (if at all) soon. UNLV would be the most likely out west to do something. I'm not sure how close they are on it, but the new NHL team can only help.
                              And then you get the GWHC
                              ASU
                              UNLV
                              CC
                              USAFA
                              DU
                              Alaska survivor
                              toss in Simon Fraser and you're 1 away from the perfect 8 team conference
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X