Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arizona State Sun Devils 2016-17 -- Year Two!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Arizona State Sun Devils 2016-17 -- Year Two!

Originally posted by mmf View Post
    It seems like half of Alaska either relocates to, retires to, or annually vacations in Arizona. Even a regular season conference match up would be more than enough excuse to get out of dodge for those that can afford it or have air miles. If ASU joins the WCHA, it will be interesting to see how many UAA or UAF fans show up. We have fans that wear shorts to home games at -40F, I can’t imagine what will happen down there.
    I have seen a few UAA sweaters at our home games. I think there will be alums from many schools either living here or willing to make a road trip.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
      It seems like half of Alaska either relocates to, retires to, or annually vacations in Arizona. Even a regular season conference match up would be more than enough excuse to get out of dodge for those that can afford it or have air miles. If ASU joins the WCHA, it will be interesting to see how many UAA or UAF fans show up. We have fans that wear shorts to home games at -40F, I can’t imagine what will happen down there.
      Lots of Alaskans retire someplace warm. I have neighbors who live here in the summer, but live in Florida in the winter. They go to the Lightening games, and tell me that much of the stadium is full of fans from other NHL teams.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
        Lots of Alaskans retire someplace warm. I have neighbors who live here in the summer, but live in Florida in the winter. They go to the Lightening games, and tell me that much of the stadium is full of fans from other NHL teams.
        Snowbirds.
        Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

https://***********/flugempire/statu...src=email&s=11

Does anyone seen this guys tweets?
          Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
          Eric's Twitter
          The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
            I have seen them. Here is what I have heard. The school is talking with the WCHA. They are trying to satisfy the questions of travels stipends for teams visiting Phoenix and securing an agreement with the conference that is not multi-year in nature. With the odd numbered conferences, some there feel there will be another shift. If something is not done in the next few weeks, my guess is that means they have decided to stay independent. I personally hope they do go with the WCHA. It is a good fit for this program at this time and honestly, only option.

Comment

• Originally posted by Revs89.2 View Post
              I have seen them. Here is what I have heard. The school is talking with the WCHA. They are trying to satisfy the questions of travels stipends for teams visiting Phoenix and securing an agreement with the conference that is not multi-year in nature. With the odd numbered conferences, some there feel there will be another shift. If something is not done in the next few weeks, my guess is that means they have decided to stay independent. I personally hope they do go with the WCHA. It is a good fit for this program at this time and honestly, only option.
              Any new updates?
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                Any new updates?
                I'm going to stick with my original thought and since nothing has been agreed upon to date, that ASU will likely remain an independent. They have had great success in putting together a very good schedule featuring 14 home games, 16 away and 4 at tournaments in Vegas and Pittsburgh. The recruiting class was 12th in the nation by one site and next years is tracking to be even better. Maybe with the pending arena announcement they feel they can make another run at the NCHC? But it has been quiet on the conference front. I expect more info to come out as summer the goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89.2 View Post
                  I'm going to stick with my original thought and since nothing has been agreed upon to date, that ASU will likely remain an independent. They have had great success in putting together a very good schedule featuring 14 home games, 16 away and 4 at tournaments in Vegas and Pittsburgh. The recruiting class was 12th in the nation by one site and next years is tracking to be even better. Maybe with the pending arena announcement they feel they can make another run at the NCHC? But it has been quiet on the conference front. I expect more info to come out as summer the goes.
                  ASU makes it "official" that they are no longer in talks with the WCHA.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...draws-From.php

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89.2 View Post
                    ASU makes it "official" that they are no longer in talks with the WCHA.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...draws-From.php
                    Great - The B1G may want to get "even"

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                      Great - The B1G may want to get "even"
                      Barring another surprise pop up team (UNLV?), it's gotta be B1G or bust with the NCHC sticking up there nose and the WCHA wanting $$$$$.
                      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                        Barring another surprise pop up team (UNLV?), it's gotta be B1G or bust with the NCHC sticking up there nose and the WCHA wanting $$$$$.
                        I'm sure conversations will continue as the landscape of the sport evolves and as our program develops.

Comment

• Originally posted by Revs89.2 View Post
                          I'm sure conversations will continue as the landscape of the sport evolves and as our program develops.
                          UNLV is not happening. Title IX makes it incredibly difficult.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                            Another factor is that the WCHA likely wanted a minimum commitment from ASU with expensive exit fees.

I do think ASU would have been a strong draw for many teams in the league. The big name school vs small school is always a nice boost.

Comment

UNLV is not happening. Title IX makes it incredibly difficult.
                              From my understanding, which comes from a hockey reporter in Vegas, there is great interest on many levels to bring the program to Division 1. As for Title IX, it would look much ASU. They earmarked some of the gift for hockey to start women's sports to counter the ice hockey program numbers. I guess we will see over time what it looks like.

Comment

Another factor is that the WCHA likely wanted a minimum commitment from ASU with expensive exit fees.

I do think ASU would have been a strong draw for many teams in the league. The big name school vs small school is always a nice boost.
                                Haven't heard a word on exit fees, but more the travel subsidy that was an issue. I'm sure we will continue to schedule some non-conference games and I look forward to that. We didn't have any WCHA opponents last year but have a few series this year and in tournaments with a few others.

Comment

Working...
                                X