Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arizona State Sun Devils 2016-17 -- Year Two!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Arizona State Sun Devils 2016-17 -- Year Two!

Originally posted by Revs89.2 View Post
    ASU makes it "official" that they are no longer in talks with the WCHA...
    Count your blessings. The WCHA would have been a bad fit for you guys on so many levels beyond money. At best, a marriage of convenience that would have lasted a few years until something better came along. (Think Notre Dame and Hockey East.)

While Title IX is the poster child for well-intentioned but flawed legislation, its mandates can always be overcome with $$$$, and that's something Las Vegas has in abundance. So I'm not ready to dismiss UNLV just yet.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Are there any indications where your home games will be played this year? More specifically I'm interested in the two with BU as I'm considering flying out for them but it'd suck to have to rent a car just to go out to Glendale for the games.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
        Are there any indications where your home games will be played this year? More specifically I'm interested in the two with BU as I'm considering flying out for them but it'd suck to have to rent a car just to go out to Glendale for the games.
        They were waiting for the NHL schedule to be released, which happened yesterday. The Coyotes are out of town that weekend, so likely to be at Gila River Arena unless they have a concert or something booked there. Plus to playing there is bigger venue and Westgate (complex in which arena is located) is a great place for pregame and postgame. Tons of great food places. Draw back is it is huge and looks empty. We had just under 4k for the Michigan game and it looked terrible. Oceanside is a band box with some brutal site lines, but is usually full and has more atmosphere. But my guess would be Gila River or at worst a split between the two like we did for Harvard. We should know very soon now.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          Count your blessings. The WCHA would have been a bad fit for you guys on so many levels beyond money. At best, a marriage of convenience that would have lasted a few years until something better came along. (Think Notre Dame and Hockey East.)

While Title IX is the poster child for well-intentioned but flawed legislation, its mandates can always be overcome with $$$$, and that's something Las Vegas has in abundance. So I'm not ready to dismiss UNLV just yet.
          Good point on Notre Dame and I agree with you on UNLV. I actually am on the side of it will happen in the next 3-4 years.

Comment

Pairings for the Vegas Invitational have been announced.

Fri., Jan. 5
            Michigan Tech vs. Boston College 5 p.m.
            ASU vs. Northern Michigan 8:30 p.m.

Sat., Jan. 6
            Consolation 5 p.m.
            Championship 8:30 p.m.

Comment

They were waiting for the NHL schedule to be released, which happened yesterday. The Coyotes are out of town that weekend, so likely to be at Gila River Arena unless they have a concert or something booked there. Plus to playing there is bigger venue and Westgate (complex in which arena is located) is a great place for pregame and postgame. Tons of great food places. Draw back is it is huge and looks empty. We had just under 4k for the Michigan game and it looked terrible. Oceanside is a band box with some brutal site lines, but is usually full and has more atmosphere. But my guess would be Gila River or at worst a split between the two like we did for Harvard. We should know very soon now.
              Is there any way to get from the Phoenix area (where we'd much rather stay for the trip) to Glendale for the games that doesn't require renting a car or paying a crap load for an Uber?
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                Is there any way to get from the Phoenix area (where we'd much rather stay for the trip) to Glendale for the games that doesn't require renting a car or paying a crap load for an Uber?
                Unfortunately not. That has always been the problem the Coyotes have had with the place. Nice building, nice surrounding area, but horrible location. Light rail doesn't extend to there. It is even worse for ASU. Students can't get there and most alums are located on the other side of town. It can take 1.5 hours in weekday commute to get there from the east valley. Brutal. In the interim, while we wait for the on campus arena to be built, it would have made more sense to play at the Suns' building downtown. Easier location to get too and our downtown campus with over 5k students is a short walk away. Oh well.

Comment

Pairings for the Vegas Invitational have been announced.

Fri., Jan. 5
                  Michigan Tech vs. Boston College 5 p.m.
                  ASU vs. Northern Michigan 8:30 p.m.

Sat., Jan. 6
                  Consolation 5 p.m.
                  Championship 8:30 p.m.
                  Those Friday games are some intriguing match-ups.
                  Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Good point on Notre Dame and I agree with you on UNLV. I actually am on the side of it will happen in the next 3-4 years.
                    The hockey scene in Las Vegas among the kids is growing as well, makes sense to entice the future talent to stay home.
                    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Here is a lengthy interview HC Powers (starts at 14:25). He talks about schedule, arena, players, etc. Interesting to note the optimism on an impending announcement for a new on campus arena soon. Also confirmed the Penn State series will be at Gila River Arena and not Oceanside and the return of the Desert Classic in 2018-19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mEnBNghAAU

Comment

Patrick Kudla may no longer be attending ASU:
                        https://***********/SchlossmanGF/sta...70530219036673

Comment

University President Micheal Crow mentioned a 4000 Capacity multipurpose arena to include hockey at a media brunch a few days back. Likely to start construction within 2 years.

Comment

At the BU Summer Roundtable last weekend Coach Quinn said that the Terriers would be playing both games at Oceanside.

Sean
                            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                            BU Hockey highlights and extras
                            NCAA Hockey Financials
                            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                              At the BU Summer Roundtable last weekend Coach Quinn said that the Terriers would be playing both games at Oceanside.

Sean
                              Hockey game capacity – 747 seats.

That does not bode well for those of us flying out to Arizona......

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
                                Hockey game capacity – 747 seats.

That does not bode well for those of us flying out to Arizona......
                                I had not heard this. There were rumors about the UML series being at Oceanside as well. Oceanside, while it is "home" for now, is far from ideal to host you guys from a fan perspective. The seats (bleachers) have some very tough sight lines. Not sure how they will be able to fit everyone in. I wonder if there were some issues getting into Gila. Still excited to have you and hope it can be a decent experience for those traveling.

As for Bob's comment -- I have been hearing this as well for awhile. Hoping something more concrete is announced soon and shovels can get in the ground.

Comment

Working...
                                X