Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH.... 2016-17 season. The 96th season of Hockey.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MICHIGAN TECH.... 2016-17 season. The 96th season of Hockey.

9 minutes into the 3rd period and we haven't gotten a shot on goal yet. I don't even know what to say.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Yes why not Redmond on Friday.

I stopped watching, not sure I've done that in the Mel P era.

Have we had a Grade A scoring chance, maybe 1?

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
        Yes why not Redmond on Friday.

I stopped watching, not sure I've done that in the Mel P era.

Have we had a Grade A scoring chance, maybe 1?
        Maybe 1, but not sure of that. Not sure why I am still watching to be honest.

Comment

0-4, 4 total goals on the season and shutout in 2 games, I have not seen a worse start to a season since I've been watching Tech. Pathetic is an understatement, this is some of the worst hockey I have ever seen Tech play. Again I knew we might be down this year but I didn't think we'd be in the basement. Anyone saying they're not worried must be watching different games, if we continue to play this way we'll be lucky to get to 10 wins on the season, we really look that bad.

Comment

I think it's an okay time to panic, this is not good. I now we played two tough teams on the road, but we just didn't look in the same class for 3 of 4 games.

Mel's postgame with Dirk:
            Not sure where to start with penalties, frustrating, it's beond rediculous, hard to understand what they're calling
            Nice to get home, we've seen some home cooking the last few weekends, been a big factor in the games
            They D and Goalie are their strength, saw that, but their PP drove the weekend, gave up 5 PP goals, have to get better
            Bounces on first two goals were breaks they earned
            Kero was good, probably want one maybe back, but we didn't score any goals
            Have to buckle down on D and PK, have a lot of returning guys, a little disappointing at this point
            It'll be good to get home, we're trying to play clean, our guys are getting frustrated, have to stick together
            Still bullish on this group, went into two tough building, for most part 5x5 we're fine, special teams have let us down
            Working on goaltending, need to steal a game every now and then, looking for that
            Mankato 0-4 at start of last year, we'll run into adversity, need to respond

Comment

I really think they have to re evaluate the pk and the pp. We can't simply stand back and let the other team move the puck at will around the perimeter. Eventually they get a shot and a deflection. What we are doing is just not working, it's way too predictable. I say we go to a pressure type pk like Mankato and BG use. .
              Also, I do not think the refs were biased against us. I thought they called the game very evenly.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

JJ, JJ, wherefore art thou JJ?
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  I really think they have to re evaluate the pk and the pp. We can't simply stand back and let the other team move the puck at will around the perimeter. Eventually they get a shot and a deflection. What we are doing is just not working, it's way too predictable. I say we go to a pressure type pk like Mankato and BG use. .
                  Also, I do not think the refs were biased against us. I thought they called the game very evenly.
                  Absolutely right on all counts. Mel saying we had to fight against the PK annoys me, big time right now, since Mankato had to as well, but they were successful on their PK and PP where we just flat out sucked on both. Yes it's early and we're still working out kinks, but Mankato is too, we've played 2 more real games than they have and we look terrible out there. Very frustrating start.

Comment

It's ok to be concerned now but don't forget who we played. I certainly expected more out of the huskies through 4 and there is a lot of reason to be concerned by special teams, penalties and the fact that our strength has been virtually non-existent (defense). Hopefully a return to home will go along way to building confidence and get them headed in the right direction.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
                      when the refs call everything too close, it takes away all the flow of the game. They do this every year at the start of the season. Put the whistles away for a change.
                      If they do that, the league's head of officials gets upset. Not the refs fault. Coaches pushed for the enforcement. NCAA makes it happen.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH.... 2016-17 season. The 96th season of Hockey.

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        the fact that our strength has been virtually non-existent (defense)
                        This is my biggest concern by far. Where has our vaunted, "experienced" D-core gone? They should not have changed that much, from our perspective. Perhaps they really were leaning on Phillips these past two years, and now we're getting exposed?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          This is my biggest concern by far. Where has our vaunted, "experienced" D-core gone? They should not have changed that much, from our perspective. Perhaps they really were leaning on Phillips these past two years, and now we're getting exposed?
                          I don't think so. 9 of the goals they have given up have been on the PK.

Two things all good teams have are decent goaltending and a threatening PP. Right now Tech has neither.
                          1-for-25 on the PP and a team sv% of just over 85%

You aren't going to win many games with that combination, no matter how well your defense plays. Especially this year when penalties are flowing like water.

I didn't see either game in Duluth, but this Friday Tech were the better team 5x5, and they didn't look bad tonight either.
                          If I'm Pearson I'm spending half of every practice on special teams. There's not much you can do about goaltending other than keep playing them and hope someone emerges, but the special teams can and need to be worked on and improved.
                          Last edited by Stauber1; 10-09-2016, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Not a great week for the Huskies, NHL cuts for Kero, Copley, Pietila, and it looks like Petan was released from the Wild.

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                              0-4, 4 total goals on the season and shutout in 2 games, I have not seen a worse start to a season since I've been watching Tech. Pathetic is an understatement, this is some of the worst hockey I have ever seen Tech play. Again I knew we might be down this year but I didn't think we'd be in the basement. Anyone saying they're not worried must be watching different games, if we continue to play this way we'll be lucky to get to 10 wins on the season, we really look that bad.

Does this mean Mel is no longer a shoo-in to replace Red Berenson?
                              CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                JJ, JJ, wherefore art thou JJ?
                                I've refrained from commenting as I haven't seen Tech play yet this season. I didn't attend the Duluth weekend and this weekend I was in Boston so I didn't get to watch either of the MSU games. I find it very hard to believe this team could be anywhere near as bad as those single digit win teams. We didn't lose 3/4 of last year's roster that lost only single digit total games. Too much talent on this Tech team not to turn it around. If Tech gets swept at home by UAH, then we'll start to question things.
                                Ryan J
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X