Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH.... 2016-17 season. The 96th season of Hockey.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH.... 2016-17 season. The 96th season of Hockey.

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    You know when they are calling 2 minutes for a face-off violation where, if you didn't see it, at the face-off the puck jumped way up in the air. it came straight down and Neville batted it with his hand back towards the defense, he got initially called for a hand pass and then they upgraded it after reviewing the tape to a 2 minute penalty. IMHO this was the most unbelievable call in a bunch of unbelievable calls. It's a ygbfkm call.
    The person taking the faceoff cannot use their hand to advance or cover the puck. I have seen BSU get a couple of two minute penalties in the past due to the faceoff man getting knocked down and then using his hand to advance the puck.
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      I believe, without looking, that we are now the most penalized team in NCAA D1 hockey.
      I looked. Some of these stats come from College Hockey News.

The Huskies do indeed lead in penalty minutes assessed so far with 316, but they've also played more games than any other team in D1 to this point. So let's look at per-game stats.

In number of penalties whistled per game, they don't appear in the top 10. Providence leads with 8.2 per game
      In minutes assessed per game, they're 9th at 17.29. Arizona State leads with 20.05 per game.

With 91 power plays against, Tech ranks 5th in the nation overall (Quinnipiac is 1st with 106). But per game that's only 5.05, not ranking in the top ten. WMU surrenders 7.15 per game to rank #1.

Incidentally, Matt Roy was leading the nation with 50 penalty minutes total going into Saturday night. He did pick up a 2 minute minor, but Nolan Gluchowski of St. Lawrence was called for 7 minutes (plus a game misconduct) and pushed his season total to 54 to take the lead. Roy averages 2.88 PIM/game, well behind Quinnipiac's Nolan Mick who averages a whopping 9.5 PIM/game to pace the pack.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
        The person taking the faceoff cannot use their hand to advance or cover the puck. I have seen BSU get a couple of two minute penalties in the past due to the faceoff man getting knocked down and then using his hand to advance the puck.
        The problem isn't the rule, the problem is that they used replay for some reason to assess a penalty for breaking that rule...never heard of replay being used in that way. I'm guessing they used replay to verify that the the player who knocked the puck was in fact the center on a faceoff? idk, I was listening, not watching.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          The rotation isn't every 4 years...it's H, H/A, A, H/A.
          Even if MTU is on a different rotation with UAA than UA_, it still lines up that MTU travels to each WCHA city (except Marquette) 3 of every 4 years.
          Since MTU plays UAA 4 times this year and only goes to Fairbanks, it's likely that MTU only goes to Anchorage next year and definitely plays Fairbanks 4 times...
          If I stated before that the double only occurs every four years, I was mistaken. It's actually 2 of every 4 years it things are staggered correctly can can happen in back to back years.

Year 1: H vs UAA, H/A vs UA_
          Year 2: H/A vs UAA, H vs UA_
          Year 3: A vs UAA, H/A vs UA_ *
          Year 4: H/A vs UAA, A vs UA_ *
          *-play at both UAA & UA_

It could actually happen 3 times in 4 years if you were on the same cycle with both alaska school, you wouldn't go to Alaska at all in the 4th year.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

On the today's Mel Pearson Show there was no questions from listeners and no mention of the emergency that brought Mel home early. Interesting

climbed a little in the polls. Not back in the top twenty yet, but slowly getting there.

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
              On the today's Mel Pearson Show there was no questions from listeners and no mention of the emergency that brought Mel home early. Interesting

climbed a little in the polls. Not back in the top twenty yet, but slowly getting there.
              To be fair, even it if was asked by a listener, that question may have been ignored...I honestly wasn't sure there would be a show this morning. Happy to hear Mel on the radio though.

Comment

I had to laugh at the "We can drink more" chant on Saturday. Mostly because you were doing it on the dry side of the arena.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

To those of you complaining about the camera work...it is admittedly hit or miss depending on who's doing the work on any given night and their experience level.

But...

The Carlson Center is absolutely terrible to try to film any sports event from. The camera has to be either really low, resulting in constant movement, or really high, which makes the players look like ants. Keep in mind that he building was:

A. Built 26 years ago
                  B. Not designed for sports in the first place

Until we figure out a way to renovate the Patty Center on campus into a D-1 level facility it just is what it is.
                  “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

To be fair, even it if was asked by a listener, that question may have been ignored...I honestly wasn't sure there would be a show this morning. Happy to hear Mel on the radio though.
                    I agree with you in that I doubt that any questions on the subject from listeners most likely would have been ignored. I'm slightly surprised that the topic wasn't addressed during the show, like the proverbial elephant in the closet. That being said, nice that he was able to do the show and I hope that whatever the emergency was is taken care of for the best.

Nicest part of the Saturday night game was Dirk's interview with Mean Girl..

And how is the GLi jersey order coming along?

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                      I agree with you in that I doubt that any questions on the subject from listeners most likely would have been ignored. I'm slightly surprised that the topic wasn't addressed during the show, like the proverbial elephant in the closet. That being said, nice that he was able to do the show and I hope that whatever the emergency was is taken care of for the best.

Nicest part of the Saturday night game was Dirk's interview with Mean Girl..

And how is the GLi jersey order coming along?
                      I just contacted MTU today to confirm prices haven't increased and will start requesting money once I confirm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                        To those of you complaining about the camera work...it is admittedly hit or miss depending on who's doing the work on any given night and their experience level.

But...

The Carlson Center is absolutely terrible to try to film any sports event from. The camera has to be either really low, resulting in constant movement, or really high, which makes the players look like ants. Keep in mind that he building was:

A. Built 26 years ago
                        JMSIA was built 40 plus years ago so that's hardly an excuse. Friday night was actually pretty decent except it looked like there was fog on the ice? Saturday was mainly a combination of really bad camera people and someone in the "truck" switching cameras way too fast and often.
                        Have the Friday crew train the Saturday crew and I think you will be all set.
                        Also had no buffering Friday, one long stretch Saturday. Sounded like that was also an onsite issue.

Comment

I did a little work on the flights, just fyi. Airlines don't like the multi city deals, they much prefer you to go and come back from the same city.

so if you are willing to do that, which I would not be, on alaska, you leave from fairbanks, given this years scenario, at 115 am sunday morning and arrive in Minny at 2 30 the next day. a 9 hour 56 minute trip. plus whatever time it takes to drive up from there.
                          you could go on united also.Or on alsaka. its 496 dollars with 10 days notice on them, and on united all the way to houghton from and to fairbanks, it's 414.
                          Delta has similar fare, 459.
                          now there are some differences. on alaska you fly fairbanks to seattle on a 737 900, fairly good size. on delta it's an RJ .EMB 170. both flights leave and arrive within 2 minutes of each other. About 3.5 hours. and a 2 hour layover in seattle.
                          on united you have to go thru denver. so it would be cmx to ORD to DEN to and or fai. And you get to land in houghton directly. I believe the time of travel would be similar due to the wait for the flight out of ORD being pretty long.
                          so to me the best deal would be buy an anchorage round trip, on anybody, and an ANC/ fairbanks round trip on alaska. the flights in and out of ANC are cheaper than fairbanks.
                          Northwest used to have a direct Minny to Fairbanks all year on a 757, but that's gone now.
                          Delta does operate a direct Minny to Anc flight that leaves in the afternoon and is a 6 30 minute ride. non stop.
                          I'm sure Alaska does also. it's about 480 dollars with 10 days notice.
                          Out of Detroit you have to go thru seattle and it costs about 580.
                          Last edited by manurespreader; 11-28-2016, 10:20 PM.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

For what I've heard it is reversed, UA_ before thanksgiving, UAA is after...
                            This is what we heard up in Alaska as well.
                            MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                              JMSIA was built 40 plus years ago so that's hardly an excuse. Friday night was actually pretty decent except it looked like there was fog on the ice? Saturday was mainly a combination of really bad camera people and someone in the "truck" switching cameras way too fast and often.
                              Have the Friday crew train the Saturday crew and I think you will be all set.
                              Also had no buffering Friday, one long stretch Saturday. Sounded like that was also an onsite issue.
                              The way the Carlson is multi level Squarebanks is right on, in Houghton the camera is at the top of the single tier and works well. The place they film from in Fairbanks is the front of the upper deck. It's fantastic to watch a game from there in person, but makes the camera angle pretty tight.
                              MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                                I had to laugh at the "We can drink more" chant on Saturday. Mostly because you were doing it on the dry side of the arena.
                                hahaha, They were harassing me and another for not being back yet from the wet side We were still on our way back from getting beers between periods

I do love watching games there, wish it didn't require the massive effort to visit. It's a great rink for the fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X