Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH.... 2016-17 season. The 96th season of Hockey.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH.... 2016-17 season. The 96th season of Hockey.

Here is Reitmeier's highlights package through December of this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-dMND2-iAI

Comment

Speaking of Reitmeier...I put together what I call a "Mixed Bag" article covering Reitmeier (with that video now embedded), Phillips' ECHL All-Star starting nod and the Recruit of a Fornight: Mixed Bag: A new Recruit, ECHL All-Star and more
      Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 01-06-2017, 03:22 PM.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Taylor Heinonen, Mitch Redmond, Agnes Redmond...I don't know half these Huskies.

Comment

Score a **** goal already.
          Beat em' Beat em' MTU!!!
          Northern Sucks

Comment

Power play suckling again!!!!!!

Quit calling penalties on them, Techs better 5 on 5
            Last edited by rustedblades; 01-06-2017, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Looks like the season is going to hell again, not saying it will come off the rails or anything, but looking more like early season where we can't even buy a goal.
              Last edited by bose301s; 01-06-2017, 10:16 PM.
              2005-2006: 7-25-6
              2006-2007: 18-17-5
              2007-2008: 14-20-5
              2008-2009: 6-25-7
              2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Maybe we're just not quite as good as the ND and Westerns this year.

Mel's post game with Dirk, took a long time to get their
                Good PK, tough 5x3s
                We're pressing, a few poor reads to give them opportunities
                We got away from our game at 2-1, good up to tomato point
                We've got to compete harder to get to get scoring chances
                A lot of guys playing well, but have to play together.
                We're in these games Western and ND, stick with it, goals will come
                Miss Reinke back there, hope he's back soon
                We fought the puck tonight, trouble making play, out of sync

Comment

I thought ND carried the play for most of the 1st and 2nd periods other than the first few minutes of the game. ND was able to come out of their D zone with speed and with seeming ease for most of the first two periods. And yet in spite of all that we were still in the game after 2. Inexplicably, I thought Tech found another gear to open the third period and started to carry the play. However that was when Tech gave up the two goals and never got it back. The lack of scoring is really the only concern for this team. It's like only the second or third time Beef even gave up three goals since he went in net. No reason Tech should be able to score 3+ to support him. First PP of the second period also looked much better but relapsed after that one and it got ugly again with no sustained pressure or control of the puck.
                  Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

This team will never get to the next level until this coaching staff rides the living crap out of the best guys at crunch time!
                    Every successful team I watch have guys that are constantly on the ice; in every situation, often every other shift and even double shifting at crunch time. Continuing to just roll four lines will net good results but never great results.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                      This team will never get to the next level until this coaching staff rides the living crap out of the best guys at crunch time!
                      Every successful team I watch have guys that are constantly on the ice; in every situation, often every other shift and even double shifting at crunch time. Continuing to just roll four lines will net good results but never great results.
                      And tell me who those guys should be right now? It's not like anyone is really producing that any group really deserves to be the horses double shifting. This team doesn't have a Kero, Pietila, or Petan type deserving of that right now.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        And tell me who those guys should be right now? It's not like anyone is really producing that any group really deserves to be the horses double shifting. This team doesn't have a Kero, Pietila, or Petan type deserving of that right now.
                        Is it possible that the stars aren't producing because they're not playing with the right guys? Mel constantly toyed with the lines last year. Very little this year? I can tell you Lucchini and Lesperance should have played a lot more with Heinonen on there left wing. That is the combo that scored.
                        I think the leaders might vary every night. Pick the guys that are playing the best that game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          I'll never claim to be a hockey expert.

I'm with rustedblades, even though the play has been very even line to line, I'd love to see at least small attempts at line shuffling to get some increased offense. Maybe in upcoming weeks with lesser opponents? Let's face it, at this point we need to find the offense to win the WCHA tournament if we want to get in the national. For that reason, I'm in the "go for broke" camp and experiment.

I do think we're being hurt recently with Reinke out, as I think Leibinger is more of an offensive spark than most give him credit for. That and Norte Dame and Western are certainly sound teams.

In this league, in this position, with this team and coaching staff, I'll never be in panic mode. I just hope they look closely at the recent games and see that something on the O side needs to happen. BSU is showing signs of tailing off, the MacNaughton is still possible, but , as stated earlier, we need to start looking at tournament solutions if we have designs on the national tournament. Scoring. By any means necessary.
                          In Mel We Trust(ed)

Comment

I don't know why you guys are so worried about winning the WCHA...to be perfectly honest, ND and WMU are just better than the conference...have you guys noticed that most of our low points and struggling to score overall tend to line up with playing better opponents? Obviously this team isn't going to score 3 every night but the only times they didn't score 3 at least one night were the GLI, playing BSU & Bitzer, and at Mankato...that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              I don't know why you guys are so worried about winning the WCHA...to be perfectly honest, ND and WMU are just better than the conference...have you guys noticed that most of our low points and struggling to score overall tend to line up with playing better opponents? Obviously this team isn't going to score 3 every night but the only times they didn't score 3 at least one night were the GLI, playing BSU & Bitzer, and at Mankato...that's it.
                              I know losing really sucks and losing on national TV when you might get some descent recruiting help from winning, sucks even more, but I think the coach is doing the right thing. I don't think we played our best game last night and I think we have played better in earlier games this year.
                              I think playing games on big stages like this will bring dividends though . Our forwards have got to get better at making space for themselves in a defensive environment. The puck has to move quicker imho.

My question is, how was the crowd, was it as supportive to Tech as we thought it might be?

One more thing. We are so fortunate our coach is like he is. There's a lot of other teams out there who's coach throws them under the bus when they lose. Coach Pearson is not that guy. He is very positive and after watching what other coaches say and do, I'll take coach Pearson 8 ways from sunday.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                This year, it turns out there are more teams than we expected that are better than Tech. MacNaughton for a better shot at the Broadmoor, then they can lose to a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament – that's all I can hope for at this point.

The recent commitments of three 20-year-old forwards suggests to me that Mel doesn't think Jackson Cates and Tommy Parrottino are good enough to come in next year. I wonder how many guys won't consider Tech because Red Berenson hasn't retired yet...?

Comment

Working...
                                X