Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH.... 2016-17 season. The 96th season of Hockey.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MICHIGAN TECH.... 2016-17 season. The 96th season of Hockey.

I got tired of waiting for an in season thread so here it is. Proceed. Go Huskies!
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Re: MICHIGAN TECH.... 2016-17 season. The 96th season of Hockey.

Sigh. !

Very good MPS today.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the boys' trip to Houghton in two weeks to see if what we saw this past weekend was a flash in the pan or not. I'm burned with last season's hot start, but I have high hopes based on what I saw.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

I was at Sunday's game; thought Tech played pretty well for only the 2nd game of the season. Goaltending looked good, Tech had good scoring chances and I think they even played well defensively despite a few lapses. Not sure why Saturday was so bad.
        I would leave all the panic back on the off season thread. This team will be fine.
        I did think the refing was a bit inconsistent but you have to expect that out of conference on the road.
        I think we will see 2 real good games next weekend.

Regarding new guys, Rienke and Berretta looked good. Suprised Gould didn't get an opportunity.

Comment

It was a good Mel Pearson Show.

A few notes from me.

Thought it was cool Lou Angotti from the 61-62 championship team took tiem to text Mel and point out they lost their first two games. Need perspective.

For the 5 min major, the UMD player both times sold it and then got up and played on the ensuing PP, Mel has never liked that, if you're OK, get up and don't put refs in a tough position.

Didn't realize we only gave up 3 shots on goal in the 3rd yesterday, 8 attempted shots

Dressed 7 D Sunday, Leibinger up front - had a few guys banged up and we have 7 really good D, Chris looked good

Towards the end Mel had some notes on the east end of the rink project, could have some more info in Spring, have shared with some alums/donors
          Could have a couple suites, a restaurant, want to allow fans to walk all the way around
          Would have an updated weightroom for our players below
          It woudl be a project in phases

Comment

I'm sure that some of the officiating stuff was the usual "point of enforcement" crapola we see early on every year, and it's easier for refs to give the home team the benefit of the doubt on those calls in NC games. It'll disappear by Thanksgiving, like it always does. The bottom line is, they've got a lot of learning to do in a hurry.

I'll reserve the right to panic until this team has a steady starting goaltender.

Comment

Sub
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                It was a good Mel Pearson Show.

A few notes from me.

Thought it was cool Lou Angotti from the 61-62 championship team took tiem to text Mel and point out they lost their first two games. Need perspective.

For the 5 min major, the UMD player both times sold it and then got up and played on the ensuing PP, Mel has never liked that, if you're OK, get up and don't put refs in a tough position.

Didn't realize we only gave up 3 shots on goal in the 3rd yesterday, 8 attempted shots

Dressed 7 D Sunday, Leibinger up front - had a few guys banged up and we have 7 really good D, Chris looked good

Towards the end Mel had some notes on the east end of the rink project, could have some more info in Spring, have shared with some alums/donors
                Could have a couple suites, a restaurant, want to allow fans to walk all the way around
                Would have an updated weightroom for our players below
                It woudl be a project in phases
                That would be cool to see, there has been talk about the east end since I was there and probably since way before that. Even if they just made it a mirror image of the west end by adding suites and a walkway so you could easily walk a full lap of the arena it would be a very nice addition.
                2005-2006: 7-25-6
                2006-2007: 18-17-5
                2007-2008: 14-20-5
                2008-2009: 6-25-7
                2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Not sure if this was reported in the last thread, but new recruit with a fun last name . Will be several years before his potential arrival though. Currently plays for Little Caesars' U16, and it looks like he also attended the USNDTP camp this past summer.

Evan Orr - LD - 9/30/2016 - Detroit Little Caesars - 5'10 / 165 - 1/9/2001

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...gueid=&season=

EDIT: Found this on Heisenberg's site, but couldn't find any confirmations.

EDIT 2: One of his former hockey schools is confirming, via Facebook. You'll need to scroll down slightly:

https://www.facebook.com/2SPsports/
                  Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 10-03-2016, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    Not sure if this was reported in the last thread, but new recruit with a fun last name . Will be several years before his potential arrival though. Currently plays for Little Caesars' U16, and it looks like he also attended the USNDTP camp this past summer.

Evan Orr - LD - 9/30/2016 - Detroit Little Caesars - 5'10 / 165 - 1/9/2001

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...gueid=&season=

EDIT: Found this on Heisenberg's site, but couldn't find any confirmations.

EDIT 2: One of his former hockey schools is confirming, via Facebook. You'll need to scroll down slightly:

https://www.facebook.com/2SPsports/
                    Nice confirmed on Twitter in a couple places.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Things I'm concerned about for next week. The power play, turnovers, the breakout.
                      Things I'm not concerned about. The new guys being ok, the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        This might be the youngest verbal we've ever had at 15 years of age. I get that teams like Tech need to stockpile to some extent, but we've not had much luck with players committed that young. Our biggest recruitment successes in recent years have all been late bloomers who committed at 18 or 19. I'm not sure how a recruiter can spot a future D1 college prospect at 15 with any degree of confidence and I don't think it's particularly good for the kids. I wish there was a 16 y/o rule for verbals. At least then you're dealing with midget majors and junior As who are significantly more mature.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                          This might be the youngest verbal we've ever had at 15 years of age. I get that teams like Tech need to stockpile to some extent, but we've not had much luck with players committed that young. Our biggest recruitment successes in recent years have all been late bloomers who committed at 18 or 19. I'm not sure how a recruiter can spot a future D1 college prospect at 15 with any degree of confidence and I don't think it's particularly good for the kids. I wish there was a 16 y/o rule for verbals. At least then you're dealing with midget majors and junior As who are significantly more mature.
                          Tristan Rostagno (should join the Huskies blueline next year) is the only other 15 yo at time of commitment that I can see.

Tanner Kero, Joel L'Esperance, and Jujhar Khaira are the only guys that committed at 16...if Mel & Company liked those 3 at 16, I think thats a pretty good track record.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            Tanner Kero, Joel L'Esperance, and Jujhar Khaira are the only guys that committed at 16...if Mel & Company liked those 3 at 16, I think thats a pretty good track record.
                            Well, Tanner and Jujhar weren't Mel's recruits. Also in the committed-at-16 group are Gabe Temple, Jagger Williamson, Blake Pietila (the goalie), Logan Pietila, Travis Brown (is he still committed here?), Jake Gingell, Jake Kauppila (went elsewhere), and Keaton Pehrson. I'd have to say the jury's still out.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                              Well, Tanner and Jujhar weren't Mel's recruits. Also in the committed-at-16 group are Gabe Temple, Jagger Williamson, Blake Pietila (the goalie), Logan Pietila, Travis Brown (is he still committed here?), Jake Gingell, Jake Kauppila (went elsewhere), and Keaton Pehrson. I'd have to say the jury's still out.
                              You are correct about Tanner and Jujhar. There is long list of 16yos committed that have not come to Houghton yet...quite a few very recently, but to say we've done way better with late bloomers is reaching in my eyes, we've done good early and we've done good late.

sidenote: I really don't know what the deal is with Travis Brown.

Comment

Working...
                              X