Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH.... 2016-17 season. The 96th season of Hockey.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH.... 2016-17 season. The 96th season of Hockey.

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
    On yesterday's Mel Pearson Show, Mel lamented that the home fans haven't had much opportunity to see their Huskies in the first half. But not counting playoffs, we have the same number of home games remaining this season (seven) as have already been played. Hmm. Well... go get 'em, Traveling Husky Dogs!
    Well lack of NC home games might have something to do with that...

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    From today's TMQ column on USCHO:
    Jim Connelly: "Since a 4-1 loss to Michigan State on October 21, the Huskies haven’t allowed more than three goals a game, that after allowing four or more goals in four of its first seven."
    That's somewhat similar to the team's press releases this season. Their favorite phrase is some variation of "undefeated in their last..." I am waiting for the press release to come out which states "Michigan Tech is undefeated in all games this season other than those which resulted in a loss or a tie..."
    Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

New recruit today, another defensemen, this one is from the NAHL, and he played HS hockey in Minnesota for St Thomas Academy: Seamus Donohue.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
        From today's TMQ column on USCHO:

Jim Connelly: "Since a 4-1 loss to Michigan State on October 21, the Huskies haven’t allowed more than three goals a game, that after allowing four or more goals in four of its first seven."

The Huskies played Michigan on October 21, and lost 4-3. Let's not even talk about incorrect pronoun use for a guy who's listed as "senior writer".
        You know I listen to the USCHO podcast every week as well as a couple of other ones and mostly they are good but their grasp of the smaller facts like the score of the MSU game where we lost 3-2 in OT, well those things elude these guys quite often.

Unless it's the big name teams or a few of the others they don't follow them and maybe haven't done the homework they should.
        Brad Schlossmann, are you listening.?

oh and icymi, Coach Pearson will be on the USCHO podcast tonight.

Also while i'm on my high horse here. I watched the BC vs UND game the other night and buccigros is a nice guy and I applaud his passion for college hockey but I'll take Gary Thorne as an announcer over him all day. IMHO, Dirk is better than both of them.
        Last edited by manurespreader; 12-06-2016, 03:26 PM.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

There's that Finnish recruit that Mel promised, and probably the last forward for next year's class: Aleksi Poikola, a 20-year-old forward playing for Wichita Falls (NAHL).

I'm mildly concerned that we don't seem to be having much success with USHL forwards lately.

Comment

There's that Finnish recruit that Mel promised, and probably the last forward for next year's class: Aleksi Poikola, a 20-year-old forward playing for Wichita Falls (NAHL).

I'm mildly concerned that we don't seem to be having much success with USHL forwards lately.
            We have never been that good at recruiting USHL forwards already in the league, most of them were recruited earlier and end up in the USHL.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              We have never been that good at recruiting USHL forwards already in the league, most of them were recruited earlier and end up in the USHL.
              Well, that's certainly true. It appears if you want a late bloomer forward, the USHL is not the place to look. I counted six uncommitted 20-year-old forwards among the top 200 league scorers.

Comment

Well, that's certainly true. It appears if you want a late bloomer forward, the USHL is not the place to look. I counted six uncommitted 20-year-old forwards among the top 200 league scorers.
                I'm actually pretty happy to see 6 guys currently playing in the USHL. I wish they were doing a little better overall but to have six is good, plus some are doing pretty well like Beydoun and Parrottino.

Comment

It's been two weeks so its time for another Recruiting Grounds. This week, I focused on the World Junior A Challenge Tournament which starts up Sunday. Michigan Tech has had a recruit participate in all but a couple years of the tournament since it started in 2006. Learn more about the event and MTU's connection here: Recruiting Grounds: WJAC
                  Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 12-07-2016, 01:47 PM.

Comment

So this is for you guys who know this stuff way better than I do, if Baltus is out for the rest of the season is there any chance of him being able to get a medical redshirt? I know Malcolm Gwilliam had 2 medical redshirts in his career but not sure if Baltus had played too many games this year to be eligible.
                    2005-2006: 7-25-6
                    2006-2007: 18-17-5
                    2007-2008: 14-20-5
                    2008-2009: 6-25-7
                    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                      So this is for you guys who know this stuff way better than I do, if Baltus is out for the rest of the season is there any chance of him being able to get a medical redshirt? I know Malcolm Gwilliam had 2 medical redshirts in his career but not sure if Baltus had played too many games this year to be eligible.
                      It's possible but its also possible that if this keeps him out for the season, he might be done playing hockey...which is really sad.

Comment

It's possible but its also possible that if this keeps him out for the season, he might be done playing hockey...which is really sad.
                        Absolutely, and obviously his health is by far the most important thing, I just don't know how the medical redshirt works.
                        2005-2006: 7-25-6
                        2006-2007: 18-17-5
                        2007-2008: 14-20-5
                        2008-2009: 6-25-7
                        2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/...l-redshirt.htm

Looks like a medical redshirt can be requested if he has played less than 30% of the season (or three games, whichever is greater). There are other "ins and outs" too all of this, but this is the major factor.
                          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                            http://www.athleticscholarships.net/...l-redshirt.htm

Looks like a medical redshirt can be requested if he has played less than 30% of the season (or three games, whichever is greater). There are other "ins and outs" too all of this, but this is the major factor.
                            I didn't click on your link yet but I think one of them is also that those games all happen in the first half of the season. Looks like by the letter of the rule, its unlikely he could get a medical redshirt after playing in 14 games. But as far as anything goes with the NCAA, who knows.

Comment

I didn't click on your link yet but I think one of them is also that those games all happen in the first half of the season. Looks like by the letter of the rule, its unlikely he could get a medical redshirt after playing in 14 games. But as far as anything goes with the NCAA, who knows.
                              Correct, they have to be in the first half of the season.
                              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I was playing around with the PWR predictor on the
                                THG site and even with a Tech sweep this week, I could not get us to move up. Still at 23.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X