Boston College Eagles 2016-2017 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Eagles 2016-2017 Season Thread

Reading these recent posts is like going into a time machine and gaping back 5-8 years for BU fans. Like Parker, York has had an amazing career. Historical success, viewed as a legend. York has had more "recent" success than Parker's 1 FF in 16 year FF drought, but the concerns are similar. Recruiting battles are being lost to your cross-town rival.

The reality is that eventually, age becomes an issue. The ability of a coach in his 70's (or whatever) to relate to what is going on in the lives of these kids, versus a mid-40s coach is significant. The Quinn/Cavanaugh era of coaches either have kids or are around kids that are similar in age to these players. Parker, York, may have grandkids of that age, but it isn't the same. Parker even admitted that he couldn't relate to these kids. Maybe the same is happening with York.

I have always had a tremendous respect for York. The way he turned BC around after the scholarship mess and the lack of talent was pretty remarkable. But I do think it would be better for the program if he retired. I know Cavanaugh is supposedly committed to UConn, but getting him in would have an immediate impact in recruiting, IMHO, just as Quinn did at BU.

That all being said, York should stay for 10 more years.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      As for losing the recruiting battles, that is the one area where I say ok, York's age is working against him. I do think the age difference between Quinn and York is a huge reason why BU is winning those battles. It's why I am curious what they are telling recruits. Are they telling them that Greg Brown is the coach in waiting? Because that would certainly help. If they aren't doing that and Greg Brown is not necessarily the coach in waiting, then you can run into recruiting losses.
      I get the feeling from the BU thread that Quinn may be making big promises of playing time. I wonder if York has had to do that in the past/is comfortable making those kinds of promises to one/two and dones as opposed to the 3-4 year players he has usually be able to pull in
      BS UMass Lowell 2015
      PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

The unknown is if Greg Brown is the next guy (with the current AD resigning, who knows what will happen) or if they will open it up to guys like Cav etc. If they can determine Brown is the next guy, that SHOULD work in recruiting. I just don't know if that's what's happening.

Comment

The unknown is if Greg Brown is the next guy (with the current AD resigning, who knows what will happen) or if they will open it up to guys like Cav etc. If they can determine Brown is the next guy, that SHOULD work in recruiting. I just don't know if that's what's happening.
          If they were telling recruits about Brown being a de facto HC-in-waiting, you can bet that info would be out there, especially to kids they lose out on.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            If they were telling recruits about Brown being a de facto HC-in-waiting, you can bet that info would be out there, especially to kids they lose out on.
            Right. Well do you mean that we as fans would have heard that by now thru twitter or whatever?

Comment

Also, I really think people underestimate the impact of the coaching change over at BU. Much like the change at BC turned around the two programs in the mid-1990s, I think bringing Quinn in turned the tides completely again and has made it difficult for BC to win recruiting battles. When you're going head-to-head like this in the recruiting game, think of the implications of a few losses on this front, you take the hit twice, one on each side of the line effectively.
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                Reading these recent posts is like going into a time machine and gaping back 5-8 years for BU fans
                Nothing lasts forever. Trite but true.

Comment

Right. Well do you mean that we as fans would have heard that by now thru twitter or whatever?
                  In this internet age it would be everywhere. They do a good job of keeping things in-house as we all know but if you're pitching Brown to a recruit that is not even committed yet (and more so one that commits elsewhere later on), it would be well-known in the hockey world. Those kids would have no reason after committing to another school not to mention that.

Comment

York to AD. Let him find and groom a replacement. I'd have more confidence in York leading a coaching search even in other sports than Brad Bates or whatever stooge they end up hiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      Also, I really think people underestimate the impact of the coaching change over at BU. Much like the change at BC turned around the two programs in the mid-1990s, I think bringing Quinn in turned the tides completely again and has made it difficult for BC to win recruiting battles. When you're going head-to-head like this in the recruiting game, think of the implications of a few losses on this front, you take the hit twice, one on each side of the line effectively.
                      I agree. I thought BU would get better but I did not expect them to turn into a recruiting machine so fast without on ice results to back it up. I don't even think BU fans expected the recruiting machine they have now.

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                        I get the feeling from the BU thread that Quinn may be making big promises of playing time.
                        I would be careful with that - one poster brings it up constantly, but personally I'm not so sure. It goes against what I consider Quinn's approach to be based on hearing him speak.

I would think blue-chippers (Keller, McAvoy, Fabbro) wouldn't need any promises, they are good enough and know that they will be getting plenty of ice time. The next rung down, players like Carpenter, Harper, etc. I think Quinn may tell them where he sees them likely slotting in, but promising is a whole different level, where the implication is that they don't have to earn it. Bellows has ridden the pine and spent plenty of time in the bottom six.

Comment

I would be careful with that - one poster brings it up constantly, but personally I'm not so sure. It goes against what I consider Quinn's approach to be based on hearing him speak.

I would think blue-chippers (Keller, McAvoy, Fabbro) wouldn't need any promises, they are good enough and know that they will be getting plenty of ice time. The next rung down, players like Carpenter, Harper, etc. I think Quinn may tell them where he sees them likely slotting in, but promising is a whole different level, where the implication is that they don't have to earn it. Bellows has ridden the pine and spent plenty of time in the bottom six.
                          Fair enough. You're probably right I am getting stuck in the chickod BUTogether echo chamber
                          BS UMass Lowell 2015
                          PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

York to AD. Let him find and groom a replacement. I'd have more confidence in York leading a coaching search even in other sports than Brad Bates or whatever stooge they end up hiring.
                            I like this idea.

Comment

Would he want that job? Other than for the purposes of finding his replacement, I would think he would rather retire than have to take on a whole new role. Let's be honest, officially or not, he will have a say in his replacement, no?

Comment

Would he want that job? Other than for the purposes of finding his replacement, I would think he would rather retire than have to take on a whole new role. Let's be honest, officially or not, he will have a say in his replacement, no?

Most probably yes. He built it, he would want the best person to keep the program going to his high standards.

Comment

Working...
                                X