Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Eagles 2016-2017 Season Thread

Originally posted by Marshmont_63 View Post
    I talked with a BC hockey player last year at a BC baseball game, and he said that the assistant coaches are doing a lot of the work, and that Jerry relies much more heavily on them than he ever has before (basically that York is kind of losing it). As for the future of this program I'm slightly concerned. We have some good recruits in the pipeline, but we are clearly getting out-recruited by BU. When York retires BC should go after a guy like Bazin, but they won't because we won't hire someone who isn't an alum. I really hope we don't screw up York's replacement, but I have a feeling we will in some way. We don't exactly have a good track record on our commitment to athletics
    I don't really disagree with that because I have not seen anything from the other coaches who can coach like Bazin who has done a great job turning UML around. I do agree the new BC AD should be a BC guy as Bates and GDF have not done a good job. The football team and basketball teams have been horrible and show no sign of progress with their coach hirings or firings or lack of good decision making. I would not have extended Addazio's contract when he should have been let go with his horrible coaching and recruiting.

Greg is a nice guy but not necessarily a good head coach and recruiter. Losing all those underclassmen early from last year's team really left a void in talent and leadership.

Along that line, Leaman could be a good get too.
    Last edited by BCeagle; 03-08-2017, 02:51 PM.
    NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
      I don't really disagree with that because I have not seen anything from the other coaches who can coach like Bazin who has done a great job turning UML around. I do agree the new BC AD should be a BC guy as Bates and GDF have not done a good job..
      Completely irrelevant whether Bates and GDF were BC guys. They were bad ADs because they dumped reasonably decent/good coaches (OBrien - Decent. Inglese - Decent. Jags - Good. Skinner - interesting discussion but good coach at the end of the day) and replaced them with terrible coaches, then went and extended those coaches with no compelling reason to do so. Bates extended a coach that went 0-fer in league play. It's tough to even comprehend the stupidity that has happened in that place recently.

By limiting any search for a coach or AD to being a BC guy or not gets you into the same problem that it got Napoleon and Bates into. Never limit your options. Napoleon limited his post-Jags search to coaches that were cheap and that wouldn't leave. That limited him to Frank Spaziani, a guy so bad no one would ever dream of hiring him away and would never quit because cashing those checks was the last time he was going to put big money in the bank.

SAD.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        That limited him to Frank Spaziani, a guy so bad no one would ever dream of hiring him away and would never quit because cashing those checks was the last time he was going to put big money in the bank.

SAD.
        After reading this I went to his Wikipedia page to educate myself. This paragraph made me laugh out loud:

"Spaziani was fired on November 25, 2012, following a season in which Boston College went 2–10, the worst record since 1978.[9] Despite claims by former Athletic Director Gene DeFillipo that Spaziani was the best coach in his time at BC, "Spaz" has the worst record as Boston College football coach since 1980"

BC athletics definitely deserves better.

Comment

Anyone know which game NESN is televising Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
            Anyone know which game NESN is televising Saturday?
            BU-Northeastern

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              BU-Northeastern
              Bummer, but thanks.

Comment

The Eagles probably couldn't ask for a better matchup this weekend. Now if they can just put the puck in the net.

BC's PP is cruising along at a 14.3% clip, good for #47 in the country. Only 13 D-1 teams suck more at scoring PP goals than BC. Take a look at some of the teams with a better PP. Let that sink in for a few minutes.

Improvement in the PP department will go a long way in this teams success, or failure. Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, turnover and clear. . . has not worked too well up to now. Shots on goal might help... novel idea, I know, but shots on goal might lead to some PPG. Baby steps.
                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                  Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, turnover and clear
                  To be fair, by the time you get to the second pass, it usually is to the other team and becomes the turnover that helps the clear. The PP lately has been ghastly.
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Completely irrelevant whether Bates and GDF were BC guys. They were bad ADs because they dumped reasonably decent/good coaches (OBrien - Decent. Inglese - Decent. Jags - Good. Skinner - interesting discussion but good coach at the end of the day) and replaced them with terrible coaches, then went and extended those coaches with no compelling reason to do so. Bates extended a coach that went 0-fer in league play. It's tough to even comprehend the stupidity that has happened in that place recently.

By limiting any search for a coach or AD to being a BC guy or not gets you into the same problem that it got Napoleon and Bates into. Never limit your options. Napoleon limited his post-Jags search to coaches that were cheap and that wouldn't leave. That limited him to Frank Spaziani, a guy so bad no one would ever dream of hiring him away and would never quit because cashing those checks was the last time he was going to put big money in the bank.

SAD.
                    As far as BC Hockey, I'm open to the best coach available with a proven track record like Bazin and Leaman.

The AD, the last 2 have been horrible. Along that line, the trustees give me a feeling they don't care and partly at fault for the last 2 ADs hired and failures of BC athletics

Just my opinion, it would help if they went to BC and were athletes, they would care a lot more who they hire and not micro manage the coaches like GDF.

If the next AD is another failure and not a BC connected alum, then it gets me thinking.

Someone mentioned Hughes as an AD and I would like to see someone like that given a chance to put BC back on the map in varsity sports.

I don't disagree that Spaz and Daz are bad hires but the sooner we hire the right AD, BC will be better off in the other sports like BB, football, etc. again. BC is set back for a long time with these bad hirings at the top who make horrible coaching hires.

No good AD wants to come to BC if their hands are tied by the trustees.
                    NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

To be fair, by the time you get to the second pass, it usually is to the other team and becomes the turnover that helps the clear. The PP lately has been ghastly.
                      They've gone from a 21.4 scoring % on the PP last year which would have been good enough this year for 11th in D1 to 14.4 this year that puts them at 46th.
                      A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
                        As far as BC Hockey, I'm open to the best coach available with a proven track record like Bazin and Leaman.

The AD, the last 2 have been horrible. Along that line, the trustees give me a feeling they don't care and partly at fault for the last 2 ADs hired and failures of BC athletics

Just my opinion, it would help if they went to BC and were athletes, they would care a lot more who they hire and not micro manage the coaches like GDF.

If the next AD is another failure and not a BC connected alum, then it gets me thinking.

Someone mentioned Hughes as an AD and I would like to see someone like that given a chance to put BC back on the map in varsity sports.

I don't disagree that Spaz and Daz are bad hires but the sooner we hire the right AD, BC will be better off in the other sports like BB, football, etc. again. BC is set back for a long time with these bad hirings at the top who make horrible coaching hires.

No good AD wants to come to BC if their hands are tied by the trustees.
                        Read the Boston Globe article on BC athletics from March '16. Gives some pretty good insight.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...SGJ/story.html
                        Last edited by RENCEB; 03-10-2017, 12:34 PM.
                        Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                          Read the Boston Globe article on BC athletics from March '16.
                          Oh...I must have missed the Globe article on BU athletics...

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                            They've gone from a 21.4 scoring % on the PP last year which would have been good enough this year for 11th in D1 to 14.4 this year that puts them at 46th.
                            I'd have to do some research which I don't have time to do, but I wonder where this PP ranks in the Jerry York era. This could be the worst PP at least since the Gionta class came to BC in Fall of 97.

Comment

ASN closing down shop at the end of the month. I'm stunned!

Scary to think what next year's TV deal will look like

Comment

I agree that the recent AD's at BC have been horrible, but beyond that is this: BC went to the ACC in the same way that a welfare recipient waits on a porch for a check. In my view, BC wanted the money that came with being in the ACC while letting all the other schools do the 'heavy lifting.' It's an embarrassment now to count on ONE HAND the number of ACC wins BC football and basketball collect each year. Now, geography is such that BC is not going to snag the majority of good athletes being courted by ACC schools. So the talent is perpetually going to be mediocre compared to most of the other schools in the Conference.

With BC hockey on a clear ebb (getting past UVM will seem heroic, if they do), it exacerbates the mediocrity of football and basketball. There's nothing good to distract attention from those potholes.

The next AD ought to come in and say, "You know what? We're not ACC-caliber material. And it doesn't much matter what WE think because that's the perception everywhere you look. We're seen as paupers with a tin cup by the other ACC schools."

The new AD should insist that BC cut ties with the ACC. Those big dollars coming from the ACC are in no thanks to BC itself, which is a net taker rather than a maker.
                                Chris V
                                Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Working...
                                X