Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Eagles 2016-2017 Season Thread

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    Yeah, maybe. York is the most accomplished coach ever, no two ways about that. I just don't think he is a great coach. He has done a good job managing the program or whatever you want to call it(hiring Cavanaugh was probably the best decision he ever made in his life) but I view that differently to actually coaching the team.
    Still dumb.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
      Well, they're done. Cooked. This team just doesn't have it. Looks like the only way they can make the NCAAs is to win the Hockey East tournament, and I see zero indication that this team is capable of that.

In past years that BC has missed the tournament (2002, 2009), the turnaround has been very quick. Does anyone want to bet on that this time? As of now, it appears that they have NO incoming freshman defensemen next year. And two of the returnees are McInnis and Moore. Grim.

I think we've now reached the point where we have to start asking what the future of this program is. It's now been five years since the last national title or even the last time they were in the championship game. Talent level is down. No senior class next year. They're consistently losing head to head recruiting battles with BU. It's a problem.
      There's a lot of red flags. Some have been there a while that no one wanted to see.
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        It's not a little ironic to see this posted a couple days after you and others jumped all over me for saying York was overrated.
        He is overrated. He has made no adjustments defensively. Keeps putting the same people out there even though they are consistently making mistakes. That is not coaching , that is called wishful thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          There's a lot of red flags. Some have been there a while that no one wanted to see.
          I agree. It may be a bit early to say this, and I really don't want to say it, but are we looking at or on the verge of looking at a Bobby Bowden/Joe Paterno type situation here, with a coach who stays after he's lost his fastball but administration can't/won't push out the door on the basis of huge and longstanding past accomplishments?
          The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
          BC - 12
          BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

And I would further add, whenever the time does come for Jerry to step away, BC had BETTER get that decision right. I think any of us who have been longtime fans remember the last time BC replaced a longstanding head coach. Disaster.
            The ORIGINAL Cross Check

BC - 12
            BU - 2

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
              Well, they're done. Cooked. This team just doesn't have it. Looks like the only way they can make the NCAAs is to win the Hockey East tournament, and I see zero indication that this team is capable of that.

In past years that BC has missed the tournament (2002, 2009), the turnaround has been very quick. Does anyone want to bet on that this time? As of now, it appears that they have NO incoming freshman defensemen next year. And two of the returnees are McInnis and Moore. Grim.

I think we've now reached the point where we have to start asking what the future of this program is. It's now been five years since the last national title or even the last time they were in the championship game. Talent level is down. No senior class next year. They're consistently losing head to head recruiting battles with BU. It's a problem.
              I believe that BC does have a freshman defenceman coming in next year - Michael Karow from USHL Youngstowm Phantoms. Coincidentilly, the same team that McInnis and Moore played on last year.

Looking at Chris Heisenberg's commitment site, it says 2018. Not sure if that is correct. Not sure how accurate that site is with starting dates. Does anybody know if the kid has appplied for admission to the school for the fall semester?

Comment

Originally posted by recruited View Post
                He is overrated. He has made no adjustments defensively. Keeps putting the same people out there even though they are consistently making mistakes. That is not coaching , that is called wishful thinking.
                I'd hesitate to call York 'overrated'. The Program was in much worse shape when he took it over than it is in today. The team has lost a lot of talent that should still be at BC. Don't discount the loss of Cavanagh and Logue, either. As for rolling the same people out there that are making mistakes, yes, it seems strange that Campoli hasn't been given a chance while McInnis/Moore/Mattila struggle. But dressing Campoli is not going to save this team.

Comment

You should have been around when they used Danny Linell on defense with NHL drafted defensemen in the stands. It must have been one of those "just for fun" things.

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
                    But dressing Campoli is not going to save this team.
                    Agreed. It will lower my blood pressure though.

Comment

recruited seems like a bit of a troll. doesn't like Luke McInnis, maybe has some relation to Campoli.

There shouldn't even be hesitation. Calling York overrated is one of the dumbest takes I have ever seen on here. In league play, the team has performed above what was expected of them this year and somehow there are people calling York overrated. It's truly stupid.

Comment

You should have been around when they used Danny Linell on defense with NHL drafted defensemen in the stands. It must have been one of those "just for fun" things.
                        Thanks Nick, I think you just raised my blood pressure at least 10 points by bringing that up.
                        The ORIGINAL Cross Check

BC - 12
                        BU - 2

Comment

I believe that BC does have a freshman defenceman coming in next year - Michael Karow from USHL Youngstowm Phantoms. Coincidentilly, the same team that McInnis and Moore played on last year.

Looking at Chris Heisenberg's commitment site, it says 2018. Not sure if that is correct. Not sure how accurate that site is with starting dates. Does anybody know if the kid has appplied for admission to the school for the fall semester?
                          RE: Karow, 2018 would mean Sept of 2018, not next season but the season after. From what I've seen, it looks like BC has seven Forwards arriving next year and no Defensemen. BC loses Cangelosi, Ryan Fitz, Gaudreau, Calnan and likely White up front. Savage is gone on D. That's six leaving and seven coming in. Of course there is the possibility of a player transferring or being 'cut'.

Comment

And for the record, anyone referring to the man who is the all time NCAA wins leader with 5 National Championships at two different schools, and led a BC program in utter disarray to 4 National Championships is [I]per se[I] ridiculous.
                            The ORIGINAL Cross Check

BC - 12
                            BU - 2

Comment

Agreed. It will lower my blood pressure though.
                              Nick, at some point, will you be able to post about the 'red flags' you mentioned?

Comment

Looking back at the history of BC hockey, they always get talent. And they always underachieved. Len Ceglarski won a lot of games but not many big ones. He is overrated historically. York took a bridesmaid and turned it into a machine. Not just by recruiting talent. But by coaching. Xs and Os, motivation, getting guys to buy into team when it's not always easy...those are all aspects of coaching. With some people it's like you can only be considered good at xs and os if you employ the trap. He went the opposite way...a relentless attack. That is instilled from the coach down to the players. Getting his players into an attack mindset and striking fear into the opponent/putting them on their heels, and also his positive reinforcement. Being able to turn seasons around that looked grim (2008 and 2012) or even being able to turn huge games around (2008 HE semi against UNH, NCAA game that year against Miami in which he called a timeout during OT as Miami was all over BC). Players responded to his upbeat approach. Every coach has a different style. But to say he is overrated because he got a lot of talent, wow. Talk about a lazy, short sighted stance.

Comment

Working...
                                X