Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: Boston College Eagles 2016-2017 Season Thread

Re: Boston College Eagles 2016-2017 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmont_63 View Post
    I talked with a BC hockey player last year at a BC baseball game, and he said that the assistant coaches are doing a lot of the work, and that Jerry relies much more heavily on them than he ever has before (basically that York is kind of losing it).
    I was told the same by a player back in 2006... that the assistant coaches do most of the work. Appears Jerry places a lot of trust in his staff. They went on to win titles in 2008, 2010 and 2012.

The system hasn't changed. The coaches implementing the system and the players executing the system have changed.
    Last edited by FiveHole12; 03-05-2017 at 04:55 AM.
    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

At this point, Greg Brown really should be leading the team. He's been here long enough. The question i have is...is he a leader? Or just a very well respected #2?

Holding court

I talked with a BC hockey player last year at a BC baseball game, and he said that the assistant coaches are doing a lot of the work, and that Jerry relies much more heavily on them than he ever has before (basically that York is kind of losing it).
    Interestingly I was told something very similar to this last spring from someone on the inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Jesper Mattila has mono. Will not play this weekend. Apparently he has had mono for a few weeks now.
    Last edited by recruited; 03-06-2017 at 12:10 PM.

there's a good buck in that racket.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHole12 View Post
    I was told the same by a player back in 2006... that the assistant coaches do most of the work. Appears Jerry places a lot of trust in his staff. They went on to win titles in 2008, 2010 and 2012.

The system hasn't changed. The coaches implementing the system and the players executing the system have changed.
    so the recent asst coaches that marshie spoke with last year are lazy whiney beee-acthes. while the old guys grabbed the bull by the horns and loved the challenge to actually BE coaches.

problem solved
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Holding court

Quote Originally Posted by recruited View Post
    Jesper Mattila has mono. Will not play this weekend. Apparently he has had mono for a few weeks now.
    In comes Campoli!
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    In comes Campoli!
    That's what you think. What forward will be playing defense?

Sure would like to see Campoli on the ice but it may come down to something in between, an extra forward not playing defense at all, and just 5 Defensemen rotating. Just wanted to present Option 3.

Vermont. Again. Wonderful.
    "No matter where you go, there you are"

Holding court

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    *stabs eyes out*

Wouldn't surprise me. Since Cavanaugh left and York's had eye issues, he has been making a lot of oddball calls. Linell on DEFENSE? That worked well.

By now we know +/- isn't necessarily a great stat but I was curious. Your leaders:

Cangelosi +19 (add that to his dominance on faceoffs and leading team in goals...slam dunk MVP of the team. hope for player development after all. many, including myself thought this kid might be a bust after his sophomore year. he really turned it around)

Brown +17
    Kim +17
    Moore +16

Kim has been playing with Moore. I haven't been to any games recently due to a young one at home but given the comments about Moore...Kim must be carrying that pair. Jeff Cox had some praise for Kim as well. Seems like they found a good one there.

Holding court

Kim was a brilliant find.

Moore looked great early. He has had some moments in the past few months but seems to be able to recover from them or they haven't led to goals by happenstance like others perhaps? He seems to be have a lot of upside to be developed so I think you look to him as a good potential shut down guy with some offensive touch, which he does seem to have.

I wish we could have Cangelosi for a few more years, or forever.

Kim is a real hockey player. The sequence he put together at the end of the game at NU this year was hockey at its best. The step up and clean hit on Gaudette followed by the GWG was outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    York said in teleconference today that Campoli would be seeing a lot of ice time this weekend. (paraphrasing)

The Original Dope Detector theprofromdover's Avatar

Bump

I talked with a BC hockey player last year at a BC baseball game, and he said that the assistant coaches are doing a lot of the work, and that Jerry relies much more heavily on them than he ever has before (basically that York is kind of losing it). As for the future of this program I'm slightly concerned. We have some good recruits in the pipeline, but we are clearly getting out-recruited by BU. When York retires BC should go after a guy like Bazin, but they won't because we won't hire someone who isn't an alum. I really hope we don't screw up York's replacement, but I have a feeling we will in some way. We don't exactly have a good track record on our commitment to athletics
    I don't really disagree with that because I have not seen anything from the other coaches who can coach like Bazin who has done a great job turning UML around. I do agree the new BC AD should be a BC guy as Bates and GDF have not done a good job. The football team and basketball teams have been horrible and show no sign of progress with their coach hirings or firings or lack of good decision making. I would not have extended Addazio's contract when he should have been let go with his horrible coaching and recruiting.

Greg is a nice guy but not necessarily a good head coach and recruiter. Losing all those underclassmen early from last year's team really left a void in talent and leadership.

Along that line, Leaman could be a good get too.
    Last edited by BCeagle; 03-08-2017 at 02:51 PM.
    NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Holding court

Quote Originally Posted by BCeagle View Post
    I don't really disagree with that because I have not seen anything from the other coaches who can coach like Bazin who has done a great job turning UML around. I do agree the new BC AD should be a BC guy as Bates and GDF have not done a good job..
    Completely irrelevant whether Bates and GDF were BC guys. They were bad ADs because they dumped reasonably decent/good coaches (OBrien - Decent. Inglese - Decent. Jags - Good. Skinner - interesting discussion but good coach at the end of the day) and replaced them with terrible coaches, then went and extended those coaches with no compelling reason to do so. Bates extended a coach that went 0-fer in league play. It's tough to even comprehend the stupidity that has happened in that place recently.

By limiting any search for a coach or AD to being a BC guy or not gets you into the same problem that it got Napoleon and Bates into. Never limit your options. Napoleon limited his post-Jags search to coaches that were cheap and that wouldn't leave. That limited him to Frank Spaziani, a guy so bad no one would ever dream of hiring him away and would never quit because cashing those checks was the last time he was going to put big money in the bank.

SAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    That limited him to Frank Spaziani, a guy so bad no one would ever dream of hiring him away and would never quit because cashing those checks was the last time he was going to put big money in the bank.

SAD.
    After reading this I went to his Wikipedia page to educate myself. This paragraph made me laugh out loud:

"Spaziani was fired on November 25, 2012, following a season in which Boston College went 2–10, the worst record since 1978.[9] Despite claims by former Athletic Director Gene DeFillipo that Spaziani was the best coach in his time at BC, "Spaz" has the worst record as Boston College football coach since 1980"

BC athletics definitely deserves better.

Now UVM Cat in Georgia

Anyone know which game NESN is televising Saturday?

Opposite Girl

Quote Originally Posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
    Anyone know which game NESN is televising Saturday?
    BU-Northeastern

Thread Information