Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quinnipiac Bobcats 2016-17 - It's 873 miles to Chicago...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats 2016-17 - It's 873 miles to Chicago...

Every year you get so excited to watch a little hockey, then October comes and you have to sit through these early-season ref shows. Every single season, the NCAA decides the refs need to be super strict with everything in October, making these games borderline unwatchable. And it always gets better once we've had a few games under our belt. Give it a few weeks, and we'll finally be able to watch hockey, not whatever version of hockey the refs are trying to call in October. Just awful.

As for the hockey we did see in the middle of the ref show, QU looked better tonight. Truehl was terrific again -- he's the starter until he proves he shouldn't be, at this point. I thought they were better defensively -- Rafferty was a lot quieter, but defensively he was solid.

PP needs some serious work, there just isn't nearly enough creativity right now. You have to think that will turn around at some point.

Three points against a really good Northeastern team, not a bad way to start the season.

Comment

Truehl is the real deal.

Power play needs a lot of work.

PK was fantastic tonight.

Defense, which I thought would be our strength, needs some work but did play a little better tonight.

Much better energy tonight. They skated with the Huskies all night.

Back to Truehl... none of the 4 goals he gave up this weekend were his fault and the 2nd goal tonight should have been called back because of the high stick. He is solid and shows confidence along with great post-to-post movement. I noticed tonight that even when he goes down he still covers a lot of net due to his size. Very impressive start for him, and the team. I'll take the 3 points as we head to an unbeaten Maine for 2 next weekend.
      Quinnipiac Bobcats
      2023 National Champions
      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
      Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
        Truehl is the real deal.

Power play needs a lot of work.

PK was fantastic tonight.

Defense, which I thought would be our strength, needs some work but did play a little better tonight.

Much better energy tonight. They skated with the Huskies all night.

Back to Truehl... none of the 4 goals he gave up this weekend were his fault and the 2nd goal tonight should have been called back because of the high stick. He is solid and shows confidence along with great post-to-post movement. I noticed tonight that even when he goes down he still covers a lot of net due to his size. Very impressive start for him, and the team. I'll take the 3 points as we head to an unbeaten Maine for 2 next weekend.
        He's also very positionally-sound. As big as he is, he makes himself even bigger thanks to his positioning. Very strong goaltender.

And yes, I almost forgot about the PK -- excellent performance, especially that 5-on-3.

Comment

well played. gluck rest of the season.
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Very Happy leaving TD last night. I think we'll be hearing a lot of TRUUUUUUEHL chants this year up on the hill. I guess the move of Shiplo to F is as much about not enough F's as it is too much D. I'd like to see Duane be a bit more physical. In my opinion he seems to shy away from contact. He's a big body, he should be more than a screen out there.

Comment

Originally posted by QUFan View Post
              Very Happy leaving TD last night. I think we'll be hearing a lot of TRUUUUUUEHL chants this year up on the hill. I guess the move of Shiplo to F is as much about not enough F's as it is too much D. I'd like to see Duane be a bit more physical. In my opinion he seems to shy away from contact. He's a big body, he should be more than a screen out there.
              Rand is scratching 3 forwards a night so far in Nick Jermain, Alex Whelan and Logan Mick. They have forwards they just trust Shiplo to create offense more. Jermian should still be in juniors and was only brought in early when Sam Anas left. Logan Mick has had trouble in the past staying healthy and Alex Whelan is coming from Tier III junior hockey.
              QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
              2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
              2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
              2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
              https://***********/QHockeyBlog
              https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
              https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Aldworth has a ton of potential but is a bit too selfish for me. If he can find the back of the net I'll be ok with that but until then...
                I'm going to disagree with you slightly on this one Mark. I think we need to find different linemates for him to match some of his speed. It's hard to be unselfish if your teammates are still on the opposite blue line and you've blown past the D into the zone.

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                  Rand is scratching 3 forwards a night so far in Nick Jermain, Alex Whelan and Logan Mick. They have forwards they just trust Shiplo to create offense more. Jermian should still be in juniors and was only brought in early when Sam Anas left. Logan Mick has had trouble in the past staying healthy and Alex Whelan is coming from Tier III junior hockey.
                  Very good points, I probably should have said shortage of seasoned, ready to go forwards. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by IsThereADog View Post
                    I'm going to disagree with you slightly on this one Mark. I think we need to find different linemates for him to match some of his speed. It's hard to be unselfish if your teammates are still on the opposite blue line and you've blown past the D into the zone.
                    The problem is there's nobody on the team that can keep up with him. He blows by everyone coming up ice and then ends up down near the net with no support. Several times this weekend he could have gone behind the net and sent the puck out to the point but instead tried to get fancy off to the side of the net. That's what makes me use the term "selfish"... pass the puck, set up down low, and make something happen.
                    Quinnipiac Bobcats
                    2023 National Champions
                    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                    Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by QUFan View Post
                      Shiplo is most likely because he showed lots of promise when called on at the end of last season. Also, the freshmen need to acclimate to the D1 game and maybe Rand felt this wasn't the right circumstance.

Duane needs to use that big body a whole bunch more. He needs to park it in front of the goalie and take away his vision. Several times on the PP last night he was off to the side of the crease and Ruck had a clear view of the action out in front. I really thought he was going to be a power forward but I saw nothing this weekend that even comes close. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt being week 1... there were several others not skating up to their potential either.

Again it's only week one and things will get better. The biggest problem is the PP... Rand needs to find the right combination to put out there. I'm sure that will be a large part of practice this week.
                      Quinnipiac Bobcats
                      2023 National Champions
                      Northeast Regional:

Comment

The problem is there's nobody on the team that can keep up with him. He blows by everyone coming up ice and then ends up down near the net with no support. Several times this weekend he could have gone behind the net and sent the puck out to the point but instead tried to get fancy off to the side of the net. That's what makes me use the term "selfish"... pass the puck, set up down low, and make something happen.
                        Fair enough - he's certainly got the skill; hopefully he/the coaches can figure out a way to make him a consistent threat
                        Last edited by IsThereADog; 10-09-2016, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I see that no one is talking about my new favorite player, Karlis Cukste. This kid, though young and inexperienced, might fit into a VanBrabant style of play. I loved how he moved up in between the circles for his goal. He is going to put on more size, get stronger, and more confident. I think he is going to surprise a lot of people this season... FEAR THE BALTICS!!!!
                          "I would like to allocate more time to dating, though. I need to find a girlfriend. That’s why I need to carve out just a little more time. I think maybe even another five to 10 — how much time does a woman want a week? Maybe 10 hours? That’s kind of the minimum? I don’t know.”
                          - Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by DownOnTheFarm View Post
                            I see that no one is talking about my new favorite player, Karlis Cukste. This kid, though young and inexperienced, might fit into a VanBrabant style of play. I loved how he moved up in between the circles for his goal. He is going to put on more size, get stronger, and more confident. I think he is going to surprise a lot of people this season... FEAR THE BALTICS!!!!
                            I'm hoping that landing him will lead to a trend of landing more talented European players to Quinnipiac in the future.

2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Tournament

NCAA Frozen Four
                            2013, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                              I'm hoping that landing him will lead to a trend of landing more talented European players to Quinnipiac in the future.
                              As a journalist, I really want to know how they recruited him. Why did he decide to go to the US for hockey, how did Quinnipiac hear about him, etc. I think that would be a fascinating story -- I hope the Chronicle or Chip does a piece on it. Feel like that would be a really interesting article.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
                                As a journalist, I really want to know how they recruited him. Why did he decide to go to the US for hockey, how did Quinnipiac hear about him, etc. I think that would be a fascinating story -- I hope the Chronicle or Chip does a piece on it. Feel like that would be a really interesting article.
                                He was definitely a late added recruit by the program. He previously players for the Chicago Steel in the USHL for the past year but prior to that played in Latvia and was good enough to be drafted out of Europe by the San Jose sharks in 2015. I'm amazed he still was available when he committed April 19th. I bet the only reason he was added was the early loss of Devon Toews.

2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Tournament

NCAA Frozen Four
                                2013, 2016