Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: WCHA 2016-17 Season

Re: WCHA 2016-17 Season

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    In other words fighting for how they want their season to end.
    Neither team can score. Vegas has the over-under at 0.5

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by bluffrinkrat View Post

8. Minnesota Duluth

Their team has gotten a lot better lately, but their hot chocolate has gotten a lot worse. I would still feel that way even if the Gophers had won those two games. It was a not very good tasting, syrupy, lukewarm chocolate drink. After the first game I thought maybe it just tasted that way because it was from the bottom of the dispenser. So I had a second cup the next day. Never again.
    OK, but who has better food?
    the only place I'd spend money on food if I had to eat
    note that I said if, and spend money
    if you were buying, maybe elsewhere
    if anybody knows any illegals needing a ride to Canada, lemme know
    ... once the migrants are in Canada they are released and can live freely while their claims for refugee status are processed, which can take years. Meanwhile, they are eligible for public assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    all pokechecker posts
    they look like they're in haiku
    but too many words

Quote Originally Posted by tonythetiger20 View Post
    all pokechecker posts
    they look like they're in haiku
    but too many words
    I see what you did...

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    We rarely eat food at the arenas other than popcorn at Mariucci where they make it fresh. Even the popcorn is expensive though. We had a really good pizza someplace in Hermantown once that Sam Downey recommended. Stay away from that bar in Proctor that's connected to the AmericInn unless you want really bad cheese curds. We had really good hamburgers and craft beers at a bar in either Bemidji or Grand Forks a few years ago. Sorry, not much help.

I may put together a list of good places to eat for away games, but it will probably take a few years.

We rarely eat food at the arenas other than popcorn at Mariucci where they make it fresh. Even the popcorn is expensive though. We had a really good pizza someplace in Hermantown once that Sam Downey recommended. Stay away from that bar in Proctor that's connected to the AmericInn unless you want really bad cheese curds. We had really good hamburgers and craft beers at a bar in either Bemidji or Grand Forks a few years ago. Sorry, not much help.

I may put together a list of good places to eat for away games, but it will probably take a few years.
    Should have asked the wife first. The great hamburgers and craft beer was at JL Beers in Grand Forks and we get the popcorn at Drew's in Mariucci. Left halfway through the 3rd, but the men looked very good in beating PSU tonight. Also, got updates from Mankato from a Gopher fan about the good news of Piazza, Schipper (scoring goals no less) and May playing.

Should have asked the wife first. The great hamburgers and craft beer was at JL Beers in Grand Forks and we get the popcorn at Drew's in Mariucci. Left halfway through the 3rd, but the men looked very good in beating PSU tonight. Also, got updates from Mankato from a Gopher fan about the good news of Piazza, Schipper (scoring goals no less) and May playing.
    Hadn't been to a men's game in a very long time but got the chance to go tonight. They did look very good as you said. Meanwhile, I was checking the phone for the stats update from Mankato and saw that both Schipper and Piazza got on the score sheet. Good news indeed.
    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 02-04-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Hey, I'm trying to add some drama, help me out here. The sue and rodents are vulnerable, right?
    No drama in the scores from yesterday, other than the OSU/St Cloud, but that was a toss-up anyway.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Final Score From Friday, February 3rd
    St. Cloud State 3
    Ohio State 1

Cloud Burst Rains on Buckeyes' Parade

OK, it was only a Minny Cloud Burst, lasting just 1:17. But the Huskies nimbly accumulated two goals early in the 3rd Period to provide the margin of the victory. The Buckeyes used a timeout to ride out the rest of the storm, but the damage was done.

For most of the season, Shots on Goal have been an issue for Ohio State. Yet the Buckeyes outshot the Huskies 34-26. Power Play Goals have also been hard to come by, yet the Bucks bagged one tonight. Still, the bigger picture is that credit must go to the Huskies, who weathered OSU surges in the first and third period to win the opener.

The 3 Stars of the Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Ohio State Honorable Mention: The Buckeye Power Play
    1 for 4 on the PP doesn't jump off the page, but it was a quality conversion. Smartly cycling around the right face-off circle, Julianna Iafallo fired a crisp diagonal pass to Maddy Field at the left post. The St. Cloud keeper somehow saved Maddy's point blank shot. But Lauren Spring pounced on the rebound and slammed it home. If third assists were awarded, this one would have gone to Jincy Dunne, who was quarterbacking the play from the right point.

St. Cloud State Honorable Mention: Janine Alder
    Janine stopped 33 of 34 shots, including a couple more uncontested, point blank attempts. In one dramatic sequence Katie Matheny ran down a Jincy Dunne lob pass in the slot, but Alder stood tall. As is often the case, the main story line focuses on the goal scorers. But without Janine's fine play in the nets, the Huskies don't win this game.

#3 Star: Christa Moody, St. Cloud State
    Christa held in a Buckeye clearing attempt at the right point. From there, Moody launched a shot that proved to be precision rocketry. OK, the Buckeye goalie was likely screened by traffic in the slot. And yes, the puck may have glanced off a Buckeye defender on its way into the net. But however it exactly happened, the skies opened for Christa's well placed shot and the Cloud Burst was on.

#2 Star:Kayla Friesen, St. Cloud State
    Next, the torrential Huskie forecheck culminated in a brilliant individual play by Friesen. Kayla singlehandedly stole the puck, drove to the net, and beat Kassidy Sauve one-on-one. No small feat.

#1 Star: (tie)Lauren Hespenheide, St. Cloud State and Kelsey Saelens, St. Cloud State
    The Cloud Burst may have won the contest, but the real game-changer was the Huskies first goal. After OSU had largely controlled the opening frame, St. Cloud struck like lightning for a late period goal. Lauren was strong along the left wing boards, directing the puck behind the net. Kelsey diligently dug out the puck and fired into the slot. Meanwhile, Hespenheide had moved into scoring position. Receiving the pass and shooting in fluid motion, Lauren instantly neutralized the first period advantage the Buckeyes had worked so hard to gain. In a sense, this first Huskie goal merely foreshadowed the forechecking heroics to come. Still, to my eye, in this game, the game-tying goal actually made the biggest difference. Call it the leading edge of Friday evening's storm.

Up Next: Another Saturday Rematch, Another 3:07PM Face-Off. The Forecast Calls For Sunny, Cloud-Free Skies!
    Last edited by pgb-ohio; 02-04-2017 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Up Next: Another Saturday Rematch, Another 3:07PM Face-Off. The Forecast Calls For Sunny, Cloud-Free Skies!
    They are playing inside, so despite the forecast the Buckeyes should be fine.
    https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/USMN0657:1:US
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Lara Stalder scored again yesterday, to tie Dani Cameranesi for the WCHA lead...

For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    They are playing inside, so despite the forecast the Buckeyes should be fine.
    https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/USMN0657:1:US
    May I gently point out that this weekend's games were in Columbus?

Though if it had actually mattered -- The weather here was quite similar to St. Cloud's weather anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    May I gently point out that this weekend's games were in Columbus?

Though if it had actually mattered -- The weather here was quite similar to St. Cloud's weather anyhow.
    Oops, thanks for being gentle on me. And nice comeback today after being down by 2 going into the 3rd.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Final Score From Saturday, February 4th
    Ohio State 2
    St. Cloud State 2
    (Ohio State Wins Shootout 1-0)

Big Comeback

I'd like to call it a Super Comeback, but a certain football league has hijacked that word. Sure, I'll watch the big telecast Sunday evening, and probably enjoy it. But college hockey is a bigger deal to me.

Whether big or super, Saturday's 3rd Period comeback provided a satisfying conclusion to what had been a mostly frustrating weekend. It must be conceded that by grabbing 4 of the 6 points, the Huskies really won this weekend's war. But by rising up in the 3rd Period, then grabbing the extra standings point in the shootout, the Buckeyes showed a lot of character.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: (tie) Dani Sadek, and Maddy Field
    Recognition goes to both players for sheer determination. Both players showed a take-charge attitude on the attack, simply refusing to give up the puck in the face of opponents' challenges. Maddy's efforts bore fruit when she picked up the primary assist on the tying goal. Dani somehow squeezed the puck through the St. Cloud keeper for the only goal of the shootout. But honestly this recognition is based on a full 65 minutes of effort, rather than just the scoresheet items.

St. Cloud State Honorable Mention: (tie) Julia Tylke, and Emma Turbyville
    Kudos to the SCSU goal scorers. Julia scored down low; Emma with a blistering slap shot from up high.

#3 Star: Rebecca Frieburger, Ohio State
    Rebecca's huge goal opened the door for the comeback. Along the way she was 11 of 16 in face-off circle, which certainly helped keep the Buckeyes in the game.

#2 Star:Hannah Potrykus, St. Cloud State
    This weekend marked the 2nd Annual Convention of the Hannah Potrykus Fan Club in Columbus. The Brighton, MI native played very well all weekend, to the delight of her many fans in the "Potrykus Section." Hannah found the scoresheet with the primary assist on 1st St. Cloud goal. We're already looking forward to 3rd Annual Convention. The positive, enthusiastic support Hannah receives adds a nice element to the OSU/SCSU games.

#1 Star: Jessica Dunne, Ohio State
    On the first Buckeye goal, Jessica created the turnover and directed to puck to Frieburger. A shift later, Dunne somehow poked the puck through everyone to tie the game. As she came off the ice, she had a "I can't believe I just did that" look on her face. Believe, Jessica, Believe. Everyone is happy for you and proud of you. It was a well-earned #1 Star.

Up Next: The 2016-17 Home Schedule Concludes With a Series Against Minnesota State.

Final Score From Friday, February 10th
    Minnesota State 1
    Ohio State 1
    (Minnesota State Wins 10 Round Shootout 4-3)

Crazy Busy Hockey Weekend in Columbus ...

... means you're only going to get a Cliff Notes version of Friday's game. Sorry.

#3 Star: Amanda Conway, Minnesota State
    Shoot-out Winning Goal.

#2 Star: (tie)Anna Keys, Minnesota State and Jordan Jackson, Minnesota State
    Mankato's Top 'D' Pair was quite effective. Also set up Maverick's 1st Period goal.

#1 Star: Maddie Field, Ohio State
    Maddie's tally capped a strong 3rd Period push by the home team. Field created the turnover along the boards, allowing Rebecca Frieberger to gain possession. Rebecca returned the favor, guiding the puck to Maddie in the slot, and Maddie drove it home. A True Power Forward's Goal, coming with 4:46 left in regulation time.

Up Next: Very Short Turnaround. Today's Game Starts at 1:07PM. Hope Everyone Got Some Decent Rest Last Night. Leaving For The Rink.

Final Score From Saturday, February 11th
    Ohio State 4
    Minnesota State 2

Senior Night Done Right

Stop The Presses! For The First Time In The History Of The Unofficial 3 Stars, Only 2 Stars Will Be Awarded!

It may also be the last time.

But on this occasion it's the right thing to do. The 2017 Senior Class was a bit on the small side: Two Members. One must Grant it's not hard to do the Math, eh?

Admittedly it would have been tempting to honor the Seniors no matter how they played. But Breanne & Katie completely eliminated any such dilemma. Cooperating with the story line beautifully, they both brought their 'A' Games to the Ice Rink for their special day.

The 2 Stars of the Game: Breanne Grant, Ohio State and Katie Matheny, Ohio State
    Grant & Matheny. Or is that Matheny & Grant? Well, if they start a business together, I suppose they'll have to decide. But for Senior Night, the name order doesn't matter. Both lit up the Ice Rink with their brilliance on Saturday. In celestial terms, call them the Gemini Twins.

Breanne gave us the GWG. Working the perimeter of the attack zone with Dani Sadek & Lauren Boyle, Grant pulled the trigger. Now it would fun to say that the puck Breezed by the Mankato Goalie. But it was so much more than that. The shot was a tremendous blast, launched with militaristic intentions. The Cannon Crew at Nationwide Arena would have been proud. Sometimes when a puck explodes off a stick with that much force, accuracy is lost. But not in this case. Breanne nailed an upper corner with laser-like precision.

Katie contributed the primary assist on the game's first goal. She also went 6-2 in the face-off circle. Both of those things were important contributions to the victory. But Matheny really matched Grant's magic on the Insurance Goal. Collecting the puck on a clean breakaway, Katie even left teammate Olivia Soares behind in her wake. Arriving at the net with an intimidating combination of dekes and determination, Matheny simply willed the puck into the net. The insurance goal turned out to be pretty important; it gave the Buckeyes an insurmountable lead in the face of a laudable Mankato comeback.

As time was winding down, we got a little greedy and tried to set up Matheny with an Empty Net Goal. As it happened, Katie came very close to making it happen. But quite honestly that would have been nothing more than a second coat of frosting on the cake. The way things actually played out made for a perfect Senior Night.

Up Next: Road Trip to Grand Forks to Complete the Regular Season.

Race for 5th, 6th and 7th on today. Finishing 5th gets UND, while tough, its the easiest of the playoff routes.

Predictions:
    5th - Bemiji, they win today and move up
    6th - Ohio, they lose today and drop 1 spot
    7th - St. Cloud, they lose and fall to 7th.

So, Ohio State gets the wonderful back to back trips to Grand Forks.

Nurse & Rooney are the WCHA Players of the Week:

http://www.wcha.com/women/pres1617/201703/mar7wpw.php

Bump

Thread Information