Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA 2016-17 Season

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Interestingly UW averages slightly more goals per game than the rodents, so will UW's scoring depth overcome the rodent top line?
    I realized the scoring depth aspect of UW the other day after checking out the scoring leaders and goals leaders lists.

Nurse "only" weighs in tied with several other non UW players at #17...then you have to scroll down close to the bottom of the list before you find any other UW players, including Pankowski. (The 'Dogs helped her out there in the second game).

And Nurse is the lone UW player on the leading goal scorer's list!

So the goal production has obviously been spread around.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/overall/d...men/2016-2017/

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      We don't know; we've never seen Peters in that situation. Maybe she's the type of goalie who is better when she gets a lot of shots. I have no idea. We knew Leveille was going to be a keeper the first time she faced UW and all of her teammates disappeared, and she rose to the occasion. Peters hasn't had a similar defining moment yet. The best team she's ever played against as a Gopher was UMD, and they don't exactly fire a barrage of shots.

I think if everyone is healthy, it is advantage Wisconsin. The Badgers are more experienced in net, even though both goalies are four years into their careers. UW is likely to sweep and take the WCHA season title and get a higher seed. But with the injuries and youth on both rosters, that's about all that rides on this series. Both teams will look a lot different come March.
      While I agree the best team she's played is UMD I'm going to say her biggest challenge was this past weekend, and she rose to the occasion. It was also a good tuneup for the team, BSU played differently than in the past perhaps realizing they have to do something different to generate scoring and did a pretty good job of applying forechecking pressure in the Gopher zone which did generate some scoring opportunities, but as I mentioned, Peters was up to the task, they will likely see even more pressure this weekend.

Comment

I think if everyone is healthy, it is advantage Wisconsin. The Badgers are more experienced in net, even though both goalies are four years into their careers. UW is likely to sweep and take the WCHA season title and get a higher seed. But with the injuries and youth on both rosters, that's about all that rides on this series. Both teams will look a lot different come March.
        Agreed 100%. But it might be interesting to note who won the WCHA & tourney the last couple of times & how that worked out for them. I seriously thought last year was the Badgers year but the good gals prevailed on the big stage. I'm OK if this year is a repeat of that. Winning in December (particularly if MN is shorthanded up front) is nice but winning in March soothes a lot of Decembers hurts.

Comment

We don't know; we've never seen Peters in that situation. Maybe she's the type of goalie who is better when she gets a lot of shots. I have no idea. We knew Leveille was going to be a keeper the first time she faced UW and all of her teammates disappeared, and she rose to the occasion. Peters hasn't had a similar defining moment yet. The best team she's ever played against as a Gopher was UMD, and they don't exactly fire a barrage of shots.

I respect your experienced eye and your evaluation. As for me, I am not ready to concede just yet. All of those years now in the past when the Badgers were better they showed up on the ice and absolutely without doubt established that they were better.

Until they play the games we don't really know.
          Last edited by ManBehindTheCurtain; 11-28-2016, 09:22 PM.
          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

This year's games will be interesting, but I'm still amazed at how even the two squads were last year...

- Each team won 3 games head-to-head, including 1 apiece in the postseason, one shutout apiece, and two 1-goal wins each.

- Three of the games required overtime to decide.

- Total shots on goal in the six games were 186 to 186.

- The teams posted identical 24-3-1 records in conference play, each going 2-1-1 vs NoDak and 20-0-0 against the other 5 WCHA squads.

About the only stat that favored one team was the head-to-head goal total, which Minnesota led 14-12. That said, UW fans could argue that that was due to Minny's 4-0 win when ARD was supposedly under the weather.
            Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
            Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
            Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
              This year's games will be interesting, but I'm still amazed at how even the two squads were last year...

- Each team won 3 games head-to-head, including 1 apiece in the postseason, one shutout apiece, and two 1-goal wins each.

- Three of the games required overtime to decide.

- Total shots on goal in the six games were 186 to 186.

- The teams posted identical 24-3-1 records in conference play, each going 2-1-1 vs NoDak and 20-0-0 against the other 5 WCHA squads.

About the only stat that favored one team was the head-to-head goal total, which Minnesota led 14-12. That said, UW fans could argue that that was due to Minny's 4-0 win when ARD was supposedly under the weather.
              Playing sports takes a toll on every athlete and who knows all the sickness and aches and pains that are dealt with on a week to week basis, eh.

It would be a boost to Minnesota if Peters is truly playing better. Personally I'm not confident of that and I also have concerns about the second and third paring of defense against the Wisconsin forward depth. I am also concerned that Minnsota's scoring is so top heavy. We will see if those "concerns" are put to rest after this weekend.
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Minnesota should beat Wisconsin, after all, WI lost to UMD and tied OSU, while MN beat them
                but WI beat UND and BSU while MN tied the former and lost to the latter

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                and if you look at another trend to predict:
                with Peters in the net, the Gophers have given up 9 goals in the 1st, 6 in the 2nd, 2 in the third
                this includes the Whitecaps game
                I like a goalie an defense that gets tougher as the game goes on, but

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                Last edited by pokechecker; 11-29-2016, 12:23 PM. Reason: with the recount unerway in WI maybe I shoul bring my long guns to Madison

Comment

I found it interesting in looking at the D1 Women's statistics (I really have nothing better to do on a Tuesday afternoon) that the WCHA teams are pretty much at bottom of the "Penalty Minutes" category with UND having the most at 8.56 minutes per game and still only 27th on the list. There it is in black and white...The refereeing in the WCHA is really that bad...
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                    I found it interesting in looking at the D1 Women's statistics (I really have nothing better to do on a Tuesday afternoon) that the WCHA teams are pretty much at bottom of the "Penalty Minutes" category with UND having the most at 8.56 minutes per game and still only 27th on the list. There it is in black and white...The refereeing in the WCHA is really that bad...
                    Like we needed hard proof, our eyes don't lie.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                      ,,,and if you look at another trend to predict:
                      with Peters in the net, the Gophers have given up 9 goals in the 1st, 6 in the 2nd, 2 in the third
                      this includes the Whitecaps game
                      I like a goalie an defense that gets tougher as the game goes on, but
                      Peters may very well typically settle in and play better as the games wear on. But I do think part of the reason for her improved stats in the later stages of many games is that the team in front of her oftentimes plays better and is able to keep the puck in the opponent's end for longer stretches. Not always the case, obviously, but quite often the Gophers will wear the opposition down and their forecheck becomes more effective. It is interesting to note that only 11 of their 57 goals have been scored in the first period so far.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        Peters may very well typically settle in and play better as the games wear on. But I do think part of the reason for her improved stats in the later stages of many games is that the team in front of her oftentimes plays better and is able to keep the puck in the opponent's end for longer stretches. Not always the case, obviously, but quite often the Gophers will wear the opposition down and their forecheck becomes more effective. It is interesting to note that only 11 of their 57 goals have been scored in the first period so far.
                        I think 4 of those 1st period goals were ones she gave up early in the season and were of a kind she has not given up in the last few games I have seen. I do agree that the skaters do seem to have a problem with slow starts. I don't think they had that problem this weekend but BSU really brought it hard early in both games. This is the first really big test though (no disrespect to UMD, they are very good but not in the same level as UM & UW yet) so it will be interesting.

I remember a couple of years ago starting out in Madison & thinking at the end of the first period we needed to play better and "Gophers are toast" at the end of 2 and then watching them absolutely demolish the Badgers in the 3rd and get the win. It is the score at the end of 60, not 10 that matters.

Comment

According to today's Wednesday Women, Ann-Renée Desbiens is out due to concussion protocol. One can surmise that it was a kick to the head that put her out.

Did any Gopher fans expect Lauren Miller to be suspended for the play on Potomak?
                          Last edited by KTDC; 11-30-2016, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                            According to today's Wednesday Women, Ann-Renée Desbiens is out due to concussion protocol. One can surmise that it was a kick to the head that put her out.

Did any Gopher fans expect Lauren Miller to be suspended for the play on Potomak?
                            I think you need to read the Wednesday Women piece again. It only says that UW's Desbien is going through the concussion protocol. Nowhere in the article does it say she is definitely out for this upcoming weekend. She may well have to sit out the series vs. the Gophers but, I seriously doubt anyone will know for sure until Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                              Did I expect her to be suspended? Not really; I have no confidence in the WCHA whatsoever. I do think that she should have been, though. It was a cheap shot against a defenseless player.

Comment

The league is being pokey this week announcing their Player of the Week honorees. I'm also wondering if they're going to publish their Players of the Month before or after this weekend.
                                Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                                Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                                Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X