Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: WCHA 2016-17 Season

Re: WCHA 2016-17 Season

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
    This year's games will be interesting, but I'm still amazed at how even the two squads were last year...

- Each team won 3 games head-to-head, including 1 apiece in the postseason, one shutout apiece, and two 1-goal wins each.

- Three of the games required overtime to decide.

- Total shots on goal in the six games were 186 to 186.

- The teams posted identical 24-3-1 records in conference play, each going 2-1-1 vs NoDak and 20-0-0 against the other 5 WCHA squads.

About the only stat that favored one team was the head-to-head goal total, which Minnesota led 14-12. That said, UW fans could argue that that was due to Minny's 4-0 win when ARD was supposedly under the weather.
    Playing sports takes a toll on every athlete and who knows all the sickness and aches and pains that are dealt with on a week to week basis, eh.

It would be a boost to Minnesota if Peters is truly playing better. Personally I'm not confident of that and I also have concerns about the second and third paring of defense against the Wisconsin forward depth. I am also concerned that Minnsota's scoring is so top heavy. We will see if those "concerns" are put to rest after this weekend.

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

Minnesota should beat Wisconsin, after all, WI lost to UMD and tied OSU, while MN beat them
    but WI beat UND and BSU while MN tied the former and lost to the latter

Quote Originally Posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
    Until they play the games we don't really know.
    and if you look at another trend to predict:
    with Peters in the net, the Gophers have given up 9 goals in the 1st, 6 in the 2nd, 2 in the third
    this includes the Whitecaps game
    I like a goalie an defense that gets tougher as the game goes on, but

Quote Originally Posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
    Until they play the games we don't really know.
    Last edited by pokechecker; 11-29-2016 at 12:23 PM. Reason: with the recount unerway in WI maybe I shoul bring my long guns to Madison
    if anybody knows any illegals needing a ride to Canada, lemme know
    ... once the migrants are in Canada they are released and can live freely while their claims for refugee status are processed, which can take years. Meanwhile, they are eligible for public assistance.

I found it interesting in looking at the D1 Women's statistics (I really have nothing better to do on a Tuesday afternoon) that the WCHA teams are pretty much at bottom of the "Penalty Minutes" category with UND having the most at 8.56 minutes per game and still only 27th on the list. There it is in black and white...The refereeing in the WCHA is really that bad...

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    I found it interesting in looking at the D1 Women's statistics (I really have nothing better to do on a Tuesday afternoon) that the WCHA teams are pretty much at bottom of the "Penalty Minutes" category with UND having the most at 8.56 minutes per game and still only 27th on the list. There it is in black and white...The refereeing in the WCHA is really that bad...
    Like we needed hard proof, our eyes don't lie.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    ,,,and if you look at another trend to predict:
    with Peters in the net, the Gophers have given up 9 goals in the 1st, 6 in the 2nd, 2 in the third
    this includes the Whitecaps game
    I like a goalie an defense that gets tougher as the game goes on, but
    Peters may very well typically settle in and play better as the games wear on. But I do think part of the reason for her improved stats in the later stages of many games is that the team in front of her oftentimes plays better and is able to keep the puck in the opponent's end for longer stretches. Not always the case, obviously, but quite often the Gophers will wear the opposition down and their forecheck becomes more effective. It is interesting to note that only 11 of their 57 goals have been scored in the first period so far.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Peters may very well typically settle in and play better as the games wear on. But I do think part of the reason for her improved stats in the later stages of many games is that the team in front of her oftentimes plays better and is able to keep the puck in the opponent's end for longer stretches. Not always the case, obviously, but quite often the Gophers will wear the opposition down and their forecheck becomes more effective. It is interesting to note that only 11 of their 57 goals have been scored in the first period so far.
    I think 4 of those 1st period goals were ones she gave up early in the season and were of a kind she has not given up in the last few games I have seen. I do agree that the skaters do seem to have a problem with slow starts. I don't think they had that problem this weekend but BSU really brought it hard early in both games. This is the first really big test though (no disrespect to UMD, they are very good but not in the same level as UM & UW yet) so it will be interesting.

I remember a couple of years ago starting out in Madison & thinking at the end of the first period we needed to play better and "Gophers are toast" at the end of 2 and then watching them absolutely demolish the Badgers in the 3rd and get the win. It is the score at the end of 60, not 10 that matters.

According to today's Wednesday Women, Ann-Renée Desbiens is out due to concussion protocol. One can surmise that it was a kick to the head that put her out.

Did any Gopher fans expect Lauren Miller to be suspended for the play on Potomak?
    Last edited by KTDC; 11-30-2016 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    According to today's Wednesday Women, Ann-Renée Desbiens is out due to concussion protocol. One can surmise that it was a kick to the head that put her out.

Did any Gopher fans expect Lauren Miller to be suspended for the play on Potomak?
    I think you need to read the Wednesday Women piece again. It only says that UW's Desbien is going through the concussion protocol. Nowhere in the article does it say she is definitely out for this upcoming weekend. She may well have to sit out the series vs. the Gophers but, I seriously doubt anyone will know for sure until Saturday.

Did I expect her to be suspended? Not really; I have no confidence in the WCHA whatsoever. I do think that she should have been, though. It was a cheap shot against a defenseless player.

That alumni band guy

The league is being pokey this week announcing their Player of the Week honorees. I'm also wondering if they're going to publish their Players of the Month before or after this weekend.

Let's go RED!

It sure was that. She played the following week, but felt bad after that, hence going into the protocol. And those MSU announcers couldn't bring themselves to admit it was a cheap shot. I would have loved to hear them react to the suspension. Yeah, I'm holding a grudge. Still p/o'ed Kessel came out of nowhere and saved the rodent season last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Still p/o'ed Kessel came out of nowhere and saved the rodent season last year.
    Badger fans didn't seem to have a problem when it was announced out of nowhere at the beginning of the season she wouldn't be playing in 2015/16.

here is a trend Badger fans can take heart in:
    Minnesota has not won a game since the election traveling to a Red State, apparently leaving the safe zone is too traumatic for them
    ... once the migrants are in Canada they are released and can live freely while their claims for refugee status are processed, which can take years. Meanwhile, they are eligible for public assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    It sure was that. She played the following week, but felt bad after that, hence going into the protocol. And those MSU announcers couldn't bring themselves to admit it was a cheap shot. I would have loved to hear them react to the suspension. Yeah, I'm holding a grudge. Still p/o'ed Kessel came out of nowhere and saved the rodent season last year.
    See, there is the difference between you and me. I am hoping ARD is better and plays while you are bitter that you were forced to watch perhaps the best forward in womens hockey history play again. A) You can't be the best if you can't beat the best and B) I place the health and well being of even an opponent ahead of a championship/

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    See, there is the difference between you and me. I am hoping ARD is better and plays while you are bitter that you were forced to watch perhaps the best forward in womens hockey history play again. A) You can't be the best if you can't beat the best and B) I place the health and well being of even an opponent ahead of a championship/
    the other difference is that a Utopian never passes the opportunity to prove their moral superiority over a conservative, even if it requires being a hypopcrite
    to most people, actions speak louder than words, but to a Utopian, what one says is more important, and the ends always justifies the means

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    I think most Gopher fans don't understand the frustration of most Badger fans when it comes to Kessel's return. While I certainly can't vouch for all Badger fans, I wished (in retrospect) the following had happened:

Scenario #1
    Amanda Kessel never gets hurt, leads Team USA to a gold medal and comes back to Minnesota for her senior year and wins a national title (that they ended up winning even without her)

Scenario #2 (assuming an injury was inevitable)
    While unfortunate to miss her senior year, Amanda Kessel makes her triumphant return to hockey with Team USA and helps them win more world championships and then that elusive gold medal in 2018 and beyond.

Unfortunately (for Badger fans), the fashion of her actual return extended Wisconsin's misery in the NCAAs since 2011. Not saying Minnesota couldn't have won without her (ala 2015), but they were most certainly better with her.

Only the most jaded (and nasty) of sports fan wants their rivals' players to get hurt and stay hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Booster View Post
    I think most Gopher fans don't understand the frustration of most Badger fans when it comes to Kessel's return. While I certainly can't vouch for all Badger fans, I wished (in retrospect) the following had happened:

Scenario #1
    Amanda Kessel never gets hurt, leads Team USA to a gold medal and comes back to Minnesota for her senior year and wins a national title (that they ended up winning even without her)

While unfortunate to miss her senior year, Amanda Kessel makes her triumphant return to hockey with Team USA and helps them win more world championships and then that elusive gold medal in 2018 and beyond.

Unfortunately (for Badger fans), the fashion of her actual return extended Wisconsin's misery in the NCAAs since 2011. Not saying Minnesota couldn't have won without her (ala 2015), but they were most certainly better with her.

Only the most jaded (and nasty) of sports fan wants their rivals' players to get hurt and stay hurt.
    What's this "don't understand the frustration" stuff? Like Gopher fans didn't go through frustrating times when Wisconsin was on top winning multiple championships? THE only thing I want to understand is that the Gophers are doing everything in their power to prolong and extend the misery and frustration of the evil red menance that is the BADgers.
    Stop enslaving yourself under the tyrannical rule of Google...The sooner the better.

Let's go RED!

Scenario #1

Yeah, instead she goes from being 100% retired, and Badger fans breathe a sigh of relief, to she's back all in the same season! It's equivalent to her being raised from the hockey dead. Sure, it was sad that she couldn't play, it was a bad deal for her, Minnesota and Team USA, but she was officially DONE.

I sure hope the UW players don't put too much pressure on themselves and can play loose and fast this weekend. There's Fr playing critical roles for UW all through the line-up, it will be neat to see how they react and play.

it will be interesting to see if Wisco fans whine about this as long as ne7minder has whined about the Lamo's transferring to UND

Scenario #1

We watched for a couple of years when UM had a better team on paper but lost to UW anyway, so I think we can discuss frustration all you want. If I had any money I would have been betting people Kessel was never coming back so I understand the shock. I do wonder what some people would whine about had she recovered enough to have been with the team from day 1 but I really don't care. I want everyone to put their best 21 up and go head to head.

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    it will be interesting to see if Wisco fans whine about this as long as ne7minder has whined about the Lamo's transferring to UND
    Difference is I never whined about their transfer. I whined about the way they played. I know complexity is beyond your limited range of thought but there is a difference. Had you known me the year they played here you would have heard me whine about the way they played that year too.

You must be so proud that you have finally managed to bait me into responding to you since I had not done that since you went after my kids last year. SO proud of your ability to bait, your truly are a grandmaster baiter. such a tiny goal but a stretch for you.
    Last edited by ne7minder; 12-01-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Thread Information