• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA 2016-17 Season

Final Score From Saturday, November 5th
    Ohio State 3
    Lindenwood 0

Rolling Boyle Cooks Up A Storm

Three uninterrupted goals is a Pure Hat Trick. But what do you call it when a single player scores the only three goals of the entire game -- by either team? My Answer: The Perfect Storm. Brilliant presentation by Lauren. Boyle gave us the whole 212 degrees.

"Talent gaps" have been a simmering topic on the board lately. In particular, posters have wanted to point out that despite courageous performances, the Buckeyes don't quite yet have the personnel to match up with the top few teams in the nation. So let's not sugarcoat. This weekend, the skate was on the other foot. It was the Buckeyes' turn to face an opponent making a determined defensive stand. Mission? Take care of business by cracking that defense. Mission Accomplished.

The 3 Stars of the Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Honorable Mention: Tae Otte, Lindenwood
    The Captain of the Lions played an honorable game indeed. Hardworking, skilled and quick to enter the fray, her leadership helped make Lindenwood a tough out. Despite the loss, her plus/minus was even for the day. (Yes, her PK unit did yield a goal) Tae certainly earned our respect this weekend.

#3 Star: Kassidy Sauve, Ohio State
    Though not severely tested, Kassidy shut out the Lions all weekend long. A pair of shutouts demands a mention. In the Saturday game, Sauve stopped all 26 shots put up by the Lady Lions. Kassidy also corralled most of Lindenwood's dump and chase efforts, essentially preventing the visitors' offense from gaining any real traction.

#2 Star: (tie)Maddy Field, Ohio State; Breanne Grant, Ohio State; and Lauren Spring, Ohio State
    The Primary Assist Club. On the empty netter, Lauren cleared the defensive zone with an bodacious backhander, Springing Boyle on a solo dash. On the insurance goal, Breanne poked the puck free from a scrum along the boards, Granting Boyle possession and a path to the slot. On the GWG, Maddy delivered a crisp diagonal pass across the slot. Boyle had a Field Day with open net.

#1 Star: Lauren Boyle, Ohio State
    Lauren's performance was vigorous, even turbulent. She played at a high level without interruption; she simply couldn't be stopped.

The first goal was an authoritative finish of a slick-passing PP. On the second, Boyle nailed the upper-left hand corner of net from the high slot. The third was a satisfying tap into the empty net, after a hard charge up the ice.

All that said, Lauren's efforts certainly had the strong support of her teammates and coaches; particularly on the empty-netter. Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty sure that Boyle's presence on the last shift wasn't the result of a long line change.

Up Next: Road Trips to St. Cloud & Mankato. Next Appearance at the Ice Rink is Friday, December 2nd; The Buckeyes Host North Dakota at 6:07 PM.

Comment

MN 8. MSU 1
      Nothing even mildly untoward happened.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
        MN 8. MSU 1
        Nothing even mildly untoward happened.
        Brianna Quade missed the series and A-R D was able to play in Madison, so perhaps the Badger faithful version of the goaltender collisions from UW@MSU the weekend before was not the whole story.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          Brianna Quade missed the series and A-R D was able to play in Madison, so perhaps the Badger faithful version of the goaltender collisions from UW@MSU the weekend before was not the whole story.

I watched the last 10 minutes of the WI/MSU game online. I didn't see anything worth a 1 game. As a goaltender I didn't like either collision but didn't really see any intent to injury in either, they looked like the usual stuff that goes on although the Maverick does give a bit extra hip at the end but I would not expect less.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            Well, the WCHA clearly made 1 call against Keys and didn't against Mauermann. I never did not see the Keys hit, I saw the Mauermann play and it was clearly a chippy penalty, but not worthy of 4 or 5 minutes. All because a player gets hurt on a play it doesn't mean there was intent to injure and thusly deserve further sanction. At least now I can understand why the rodents so easily beat MSU.

BSU was not impressive at all. OSU looked better than they did. As I said the in the poster's poll, I think UMD's wins over BC and BSU are not that impressive as time rolls on. We'll see how they play at the sue.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Well, the WCHA clearly made 1 call against Keys and didn't against Mauermann. I never did not see the Keys hit, I saw the Mauermann play and it was clearly a chippy penalty, but not worthy of 4 or 5 minutes. All because a player gets hurt on a play it doesn't mean there was intent to injure and thusly deserve further sanction. At least now I can understand why the rodents so easily beat MSU.

BSU was not impressive at all. OSU looked better than they did. As I said the in the poster's poll, I think UMD's wins over BC and BSU are not that impressive as time rolls on. We'll see how they play at the sue.
              Huh! That tune is different than the one you were singing a week ago. I guess whatever allows you to get through the week.

Comment

League play really heats up next weekend with Minnesota travelling to North Dakota and Minnesota-Duluth hosting the Badgers. With the higher-ranked team on the road, both series should be very closely contested, with an upset or two very likely. So, any fearless predictions from the fans here?
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  League play really heats up next weekend with Minnesota travelling to North Dakota and Minnesota-Duluth hosting the Badgers. With the higher-ranked team on the road, both series should be very closely contested, with an upset or two very likely. So, any fearless predictions from the fans here?
                  Having seen UMD and Wisconsin I believe the dogs are good enough to keep it close but maybe not good enough yet to steal a game. They have gotten a lot better a lot faster than I expected & Crowell (thanks thirdtimes!) deserves a lot of praise. Maybe next year. Have not seen UND play but their record does not indicate concern . . . except, can the Gophers actually score some goals? BSU did them in by tying up everyone and clogging the lanes. If they do that the hawks could get a point or 3.

But who knows? the Beavers manage to stuff the Gophers but can't beat anyone else in the league? There is something wrong there that I don't understand.

Edit because I need an editor to proof read my posts
                  Last edited by ne7minder; 11-13-2016, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                    They have gotten a lot better a lot faster than I expected & Crowley deserves a lot of praise.
                    Yeah, but probably not as much as Crowell.

Comment

No way I can predict a UMD victory over Wisconsin. Wisconsin is just too tough to beat, defense too good, and UMD despite their vast improvement looking like they are vulnerable to being trapped in their own end most of the game.

-I went to the WCHA semi-final last year right after the Bulldogs swept Bemidji hoping to see them put up a fight against the Badgers, and they looked to me like they didn't believe they had a chance in h-e- double hockey sticks. Stalder's performance put me off so much I jumped off her bandwagon.

But I am back on the Stalder bandwagon. I think UMD has better scoring capability this year than all but a very few teams in the country. It will be interesting to see if UW keeps an eye out behind them when the Bulldog first line is on the ice to try to prevent the breakaway. Can they go a whole game without giving up a breakaway? I don't think UMD will beat them, but I do think they have a good chance to do so.

Bulldogs are thinking to themselves this is a year they do not want to get 8 losses in the regular season against just MN and WI. If they can't get any points this weekend they are half way there. Big series for UMD.

Comment

Did some looking at ARD's stats last year and suffice it to say she (with help from UW's defense) turned in a season rarely matched in the history of college hockey. If UW loses, it will be an extremely rare event.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                          Did some looking at ARD's stats last year and suffice it to say she (with help from UW's defense) turned in a season rarely matched in the history of college hockey. If UW loses, it will be an extremely rare event.
                          I'm looking forward to such a rare event this weekend.

But the 'Dogs will have to play like they did a few weeks ago against OSU. While solid, their performance last weekend against UND should have no expectation of cutting it from what I gather, not having yet seen UW play this season.

If they play like they've shown that they are capable of playing I suspect UW might be in for a surprising weekend.

But even if they do, my concern is that Ard will contribute to making it a medium rare event.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            If UW loses, it will be an extremely rare event.
                            Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                            I'm looking forward to such a rare event this weekend.
                            Bring it on home

Comment

UW has more speed this year and any of the top 3 lines are capable of being dominant, depending on the match-up. I don't know how deep UMD is forward-wise, but UW's 3rd line is more than likely significantly better than UMD's, and I'd bet UW's 2nd line is better than UMD's. UMD's pk is horrible, UW's PP is horrible. UW's pk is awesome, UMD's pp is very good. UW's been in some tight games this year with 3rd period comebacks, so they can play from ahead or behind. I expect 2 close 1 to 2 goal games, can UMD pull out a win? It's not probable, but certainly possible. I don't think they've played a team with UW's defensive talent yet this year.

Comment

Is it more likely UW or UM loses this weekend? UW has the tougher match-up, but UW is a bit better than UM at this point defensively. My gut tells me UW is more likely to lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X