Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA 2016-17 Season

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Very cool, but curious as to why they would have St. Cloud State on for 6 of the 8 regular season games?
    St. Cloud plays in an arena that is already set up for TV and is close for the Minneapolis crews. The two road games are likely just convenient dates.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      St. Cloud plays in an arena that is already set up for TV and is close for the Minneapolis crews. The two road games are likely just convenient dates.
      So obviously projected viewership ratings (which would be modest no matter what) are not FSN's primary consideration. Still, it's a step in the right direction.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        P.S. Is it too early to proclaim that the league standings will be much tighter this season?
        Sure is looking like it. BSU seems to a hard nit to crack as usual, St. Cloud is has improved, and UMD is resurgent.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          Definitely get your point re: SCSU. Again, the best part for me is they are committing to multiple games and it includes the championship game.

My rain for this particular parade is I bet the games will not be archived. That won't really matter for the Final Face-Off because I don't think they are archived anyway. But it's really nice to be able to go back and look at goals and penalties etc. Wisconsin games esp, for me, are usually worth watching a second time all the way through.

Comment

I guess I can archive them myself on the DVR

I am just finally assimilating that information....haha.

Comment

Final Score From Friday October 21st
              Minnesota 3
              Ohio State 2

New, Hopeful Beginnings

The New Buckeye Coaches blew into town and provided a blast of fresh air. The New Look Ice Rink passed the eye test. The Newly Constituted Buckeye Line-Up didn't disappoint. Unfortunately the opponent was the Same Old, Same Old Gophers. Excellent as always. And the U of M First Line was positively magnificent.

Skipping ahead to the end, let me mention a poignant post-game moment. When the Minnesota players got to the Ohio State Head Coach, the handshake line became a hug line. An appropriate reminder of the special relationships that Coach Muzz left behind to become a Buckeye.

The 3 Stars of the Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Maddy Field
              Maddy led all shooters with 6 shots. Early in the 3rd Period, Field tied the game at 2. A Boyle Blast from the Blue line glanced off at least one Gopher defender, then Maddy put on the finishing touch.

Minnesota Honorable Mention: (tie) Sydney Baldwin and Patti Marshall
              When a team wins 3-2 and 'D' Partners are both +3, that 'D' Pair is doing something right. Quick yet comfortably in control, this pair provided excellent support for the 1st line forwards. Each collected an assist tonight.

#3 Star: Jacyn Reeves, Ohio State
              Jacyn bagged her first goal as a Buckeye to open the scoring. Rebecca Freiburger started the play by creating a turnover below the endline. Reeves took the feed and banked the puck into the net off a Gopher defender. Was the shot actually a pass intended for Ariana Depinto? Maybe yes, maybe no. Never mind. That puck was a keeper.

#2 Star: (tie) Dani Cameranesi, Minnesota; and Kelly Pannek, Minnesota
              The special chemistry on the Minnesota's top unit of forwards was the story of tonight's game. Playing with both finesse and ruthless efficiency, these two Gophers accounted for all of the primary assists. Dani did the honors on the first two Minnesota tallies. Kelly made the beautiful cross slot pass on the GWG. Both were +3 on the night.

#1 Star: Sarah Potomak, Minnesota
              Hat Trick? Yes. And Sarah almost completed the Grand Slam into an empty net. Part of me wanted her to nail it; it's been quite a while since I've seen a 4 goal game in person. Move over, Auston Matthews! But the truth is that the 3-2 score is a good reflection of how tonight's game was played. Call the missed empty-netter a case of hockey justice served.

Be that as it may, Sarah was an easy choice for the top star. Like her linemates, she was a perfect +3. On the GWG, she stole the puck in the neutral zone and carried it in deep, getting a quality shot from the left side of the net. Then, as teammate Pannek was gathering in the rebound, Potomak curled into position on the right post. Perfect Pannek Pass; Slick Sarah Shot, and a 3-2 Lead the Gophers would not relinquish.

Up Next: Rematch With Minnesota. Face-Off at 3:07PM. Another High Caliber, High Energy Game Is In Store.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                [U][B]
                Skipping ahead to the end, let me mention a poignant post-game moment. When the Minnesota players got to the Ohio State Head Coach, the handshake line became a hug line. An appropriate reminder of the special relationships that Coach Muzz left behind to become a Buckeye.
                Nice tidbit! Thanks for the share.

Of note: two penalties for the whole game, none on OSU.

Comment

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Maddy Field
                  Maddy led all shooters with 6 shots. Early in the 3rd Period, Field tied the game at 2. A Boyle Blast from the Blue line glanced off at least one Gopher defender, then Maddy put on the finishing touch.
                  I want to give a shout out to the band. We could hear them on the audio and it made the game sound better. Glad they decided to drop by! If that was Nadine's idea she notices the difference with a band, if it was not then it was well past time the Buckeye women got that support from the school.

also - thanks again for your reports, they are great.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                    I want to give a shout out to the band. We could hear them on the audio and it made the game sound better. Glad they decided to drop by! If that was Nadine's idea she notices the difference with a band, if it was not then it was well past time the Buckeye women got that support from the school.
                    The band comes by for "special occasions," a handful of times per season. This has been true for a number of years. Beyond what constitutes a special occasion for our program, the wants and needs of other sports influence when they're available to us.

The dream would be to have them available for every home game. Just as you say, they make a huge positive difference.

also - thanks again for your reports, they are great.
                    Thanks for reading; your support is much appreciated.

Comment

Pgb, love the Three Stars of the Game! Glad we finally have some home games so I can read those!! We were not at today's game, so I will be waiting patiently for today's 'Three Stars!' The band was great last night! Unfortunately, I think the only times they are there are if none of the other sports are home (men's hockey, volleyball, and starting in another month or so ... men's and women's hoops). If all those teams are on the road, then we get the band at women's hockey games. It would be nice to have the band there more often as they make a positive contribution to the atmosphere.

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, October 22nd
                        Minnesota 2
                        Ohio State 1

Gopher Bombardment Eventually Proves To Be Enough

Bombs bursting in air. Most of the Rockets had a Maroon Glare. But at the end of the first period, the Buckeyes were still there. With a 0-0 tie to show for it.

The Gophers had a large territorial advantage; the 26-3 difference in shots accurately reflects that. Still, a majority of those shots were taken under duress. Most came from the outside. There weren't a ton of quality scoring chances.

That said, we certainly saw a relentless Gopher attack. Can a "rope a dope" strategy work against these Gophers? Highly unlikely. They just keep coming. In last 40 minutes, Minnesota's tireless offense produced just enough to secure the win. For my part, just watching all that skating left me tired.

The 3 Stars of the Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Honorable Mention: Both Rosters
                        It was an epic struggle, and both teams earned the fans' respect. The Buckeyes never-say-die defense almost pulled off the upset. The perseverance of the Gopher offense showed heart as well at talent.

Less obvious but equally important, these Gophers play the whole 200 feet. All those odd-man rushes the Buckeyes had? Not your usual odd man rush. Time after time we saw one Buckeye puck carrier gamely trying to find a way through 2 or 3 Gophers back in defensive position, ready to meet any challenge.

As for the Buckeye offense, I'm sure it was a frustrating weekend. And yet, they definitely created some dangerous chances along the way. With just a little more puck luck, the Buckeyes could easily have grabbed some points this series.

Elite level athletes aren't going to be satisfied with moral victories, nor should they be. But there were definitely things to feel good about -- up and down both benches.

#3 Star: (tie) Taylor Williamson, Minnesota and Alex Woken, Minnesota
                        The first Minnesota goal was a huge moment in the game. Alex crashed the net and got a good result. Did she score? No, but her effort caused the puck to squirt out to the high slot, and gave Taylor a rare second chance opportunity. Taylor buried the puck with authority.

#2 Star: Sarah Potomak, Minnesota
                        Had this been a two game, total goals series, it would have been tied in one respect: Potomak 4; Everybody Else on Both Teams 4. Sarah's scoring touch was amazing. But for all of the offensive fireworks the Gophers set off this weekend, Potomak's Saturday GWG wasn't a huge blast. Call that shot quick, sneaky & accurate.

#1 Star: Kassidy Sauve, Ohio State
                        No doubt Kassidy would shrug off this recognition. But her skill and composure made both games extremely competitive. Her rebound control was strong. Inevitably she gave up a few. But in most of those cases the Buckeye 'D' efficiently cleared the slot. Not that it's a secret, but Jincy Dunne is especially good at this.

Overall, Sauve had 79 saves on 84 shots for the series. That's a 94% save percentage against the defending national champs.

It's pretty rare for a member of the losing team to grab the #1 Star. But in this case I truly believe that no player had a greater impact on Saturday's game than Kassidy.

Up Next: The Buckeyes Host Minnesota-Duluth Next Weekend. On Saturday the Ice Rink really will be The Home of the Brave as we go head-to-head with Inbound Football Traffic. But you know what? The Ice Rink is also The Land of the Free Admission. Here's to hoping a few of those 105,000 FB fans check out some high quality hockey before heading over to the gridiron.

Comment

[U][B]

#1 Star: Kassidy Sauve, Ohio State
                          No doubt Kassidy would shrug off this recognition. But her skill and composure made both games extremely competitive. Her rebound control was strong. Inevitably she gave up a few. But in most of those cases the Buckeye 'D' efficiently cleared the slot. Not that it's a secret, but Jincy Dunne is especially good at this.

Overall, Sauve had 79 saves on 84 shots for the series. That's a 94% save percentage against the defending national champs.

It's pretty rare for a member of the losing team to grab the #1 Star. But in this case I truly believe that no player had a greater impact on Saturday's game than Kassidy.
                          so what you are saying is, that the culture appears to be Kassidy Sauve for now.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                            so what you are saying is, that the culture appears to be Kassidy Sauve for now.
                            Not saying that at all. Reggie44 didn't have it right on the OSU thread, and neither do you. But at least Reggie44 had an original thought.

From my vantage point, I've seen the 2016-17 Buckeyes play exactly two games. Against an atypically strong opponent. It's way too early to be making a judgment about whether there's a new culture in place.

What is clear is that Nadine Muzzerall has been a breath of fresh air for the OSU program. In comparison to the Jenny Potter year, the atmosphere is simply different. But an enduring cultural change? Let's evaluate a larger body of work -- when there's a body of work to evaluate.

Team culture is a legitimate topic. But it would be hard to find a factor that's more irrelevant than Kassidy's play in goal. She'd be an outstanding keeper for either coach.

Comment

Not saying that at all. Reggie44 didn't have it right on the OSU thread, and neither do you. But at least Reggie44 had an original thought.

From my vantage point, I've seen the 2016-17 Buckeyes play exactly two games. Against an atypically strong opponent. It's way too early to be making a judgment about whether there's a new culture in place.

What is clear is that Nadine Muzzerall has been a breath of fresh air for the OSU program. In comparison to the Jenny Potter year, the atmosphere is simply different. But an enduring cultural change? Let's evaluate a larger body of work -- when there's a body of work to evaluate.

Team culture is a legitimate topic. But it would be hard to find a factor that's more irrelevant than Kassidy's play in goal. She'd be an outstanding keeper for either coach.
                              that's what I love about all you ladies on this forum, you take everything literal and miss the point

if we were talking about the culture at MN, and someone said Sarah Potomak is supplying all the culture they need
                              do you get it now?
                              no?
                              it doesn't surprise me

Comment

and speaking of Potomak, c'mon,
                                player #1 scores the winning goal in both games, a total of 4 REAL goals for the weekend (and 4 game winners in a rwo )
                                player #2 scores 2 empty netters and three REAL goals, none of them game winners

proves my theory they don't like to give the same player the award two weeks in a row

Comment

Working...
                                X