Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2016-17 Season

UND athletics teams brace for budget cut announcement

Kennedy told the Intercollegiate Athletics Committee in October that UND was committed to keeping 12 sports—men's and women's hockey, men's and women's basketball, football, men's and women's indoor and outdoor track and field, men's and women's cross-country, and volleyball.

I hope he still feels that way!

http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...t-announcement

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
      Kennedy told the Intercollegiate Athletics Committee in October that UND was committed to keeping 12 sports—men's and women's hockey, men's and women's basketball, football, men's and women's indoor and outdoor track and field, men's and women's cross-country, and volleyball.[/url]
      My guess is that they would keep a couple additional sports, even under a worst case, but the other two haven't been chosen yet. It is a requirement that a Division I school offer at least 14 sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
        My guess is that they would keep a couple additional sports, even under a worst case, but the other two haven't been chosen yet. It is a requirement that a Division I school offer at least 14 sports.
        How does that work out for a school like MSU that has hockey but I don't think any other D-I program?

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
          How does that work out for a school like MSU that has hockey but I don't think any other D-I program?
          MSU is a Division II school that plays in Division I because there is no Division II hockey, so they have no need to meet the Division I requirements. That said, MSU sponsors 18 sports, so they would meet the DI threshold anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
            MSU is a Division II school that plays in Division I because there is no Division II hockey, so they have no need to meet the Division I requirements. That said, MSU sponsors 18 sports, so they would meet the DI threshold anyway.
            oh, thanks.

Comment

So will the wcha plod along with 7 teams or will they seek an 8th team? This will definitely hurt the depth of the league. Does UM or UW have any flexibility scholarship-wise to pick off the cream of the ex sue players? I'm not sure about UW at this point.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                So will the wcha plod along with 7 teams or will they seek an 8th team? This will definitely hurt the depth of the league. Does UM or UW have any flexibility scholarship-wise to pick off the cream of the ex sue players? I'm not sure about UW at this point.
                Given the way M & W have been stashing players!?!?! No, probably no free scholarships. I suppose they could add Lindenwood, it is close anyway. Having 4 open dates a year would be nice though if they can get some of those Eastern schools to quit ducking them.

Comment

Given that many of the WCHA teams play Lindenwood, may as well add them for the 8th team.

WI & MN do not benefit rosterwise from UND cutting hockey, but the rest should. The biggest losers here are the parents from Manitoba & NW MN, now they'll have to travel farther to watch their kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                    Given that many of the WCHA teams play Lindenwood, may as well add them for the 8th team.

WI & MN do not benefit rosterwise from UND cutting hockey, but the rest should. The biggest losers here are the parents from Manitoba & NW MN, now they'll have to travel farther to watch their kids.
                    I would imagine that Bemidji and St-Cloud would be good options. OSU played with a short bench last year and will be a good team next year which might interest some of the top talent on UND if they wish to play in the WCHA. It all depends on $$ available I suppose. Some will likely have to venture east. It is really too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                      Some will likely have to venture east. It is really too bad.
                      Can you imagine how that would add items to the menu of East vs West arguments...for those so inclined?

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                        How does that work? Wouldn't the CHA have something to say about a team leaving the conference? I have no idea how it works, but Lindenwood should have always been in the WCHA, given its location.

Comment

Given the way M & W have been stashing players!?!?! No, probably no free scholarships. I suppose they could add Lindenwood, it is close anyway. Having 4 open dates a year would be nice though if they can get some of those Eastern schools to quit ducking them.
                          I do like the idea of 4 more non-conference games, I like seeing other teams. Lindenwood almost gassing the UW hockey team doesn't bode well for them fitting into the wcha from an operations standpoint. The UW players all said they hope they never have to go there again.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            I do like the idea of 4 more non-conference games, I like seeing other teams. Lindenwood almost gassing the UW hockey team doesn't bode well for them fitting into the wcha from an operations standpoint. The UW players all said they hope they never have to go there again.
                            Totally agree. I'd like the Gophers to go back to what they did in their early years when they played more non-conference games with the eastern schools. 4 games home and away with teams like Harvard, Northeastern and others from the east would be great every year.
                            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Having 4 open dates a year would be nice though if they can get some of those Eastern schools to quit ducking them.
                              Got a good laugh from this but I do have to say that the truth is that UMD never seems to have trouble scheduling games with eastern teams (ask BC, BU, HU, UNH, UConn and others) and has been doing so season after season for years and consequently is constantly stepping up to the plate with no excuses. So, a valid question might be who is really ducking who?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                                Got a good laugh from this but I do have to say that the truth is that UMD never seems to have trouble scheduling games with eastern teams (ask BC, BU, HU, UNH, UConn and others) and has been doing so season after season for years and consequently is constantly stepping up to the plate with no excuses. So, a valid question might be who is really ducking who?
                                In all seriousness, while I know for a fact that BC has reached out to UM and UW in the past, the excuse has always been "we don't have room in our schedule because we play so many conference games."

At least in the short term, that shouldn't be the case.

I have to say I do think Lindenwood would be the prime candidate to get into the WCHA.
                                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Working...
                                X