Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2016-17 Season

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    Best To Worst WCHA Hot Chocolate Venues . . .
    I admit to not having sampled your top 4 choices but the bottom 4 all tase like powdered brown substance swirled in hot water. Too much sugar & not enough chocolate. I'll have to make a point to try the top 4 next season!

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      I admit to not having sampled your top 4 choices but the bottom 4 all tase like powdered brown substance swirled in hot water. Too much sugar & not enough chocolate. I'll have to make a point to try the top 4 next season!
      I don't disagree with you and as far as I know they probably all use water from warm to hot. Hot is better. The best of the worst may have been a better description. They sure don't taste as good as hot chocolate made at home with real milk. And as much as I complained about Ridder's hot chocolate I have had more than 300 cups of it in the last 14 years so...
      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Interesting match-ups this weekend.

Rodents playing MSU right after MSU played UW, measuring stick time.
        Sue playing UMD kinda right after playing UW, measuring stick time.
        OSU and St. Cloud fighting for the potential to play the sue and rodents and avoid UMD in the first round.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          OSU and St. Cloud fighting for the potential to play the sue and rodents and avoid UMD in the first round.
          In other words fighting for how they want their season to end.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
            Hey, I'm trying to add some drama, help me out here. The sue and rodents are vulnerable, right?

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              Neither team can score. Vegas has the over-under at 0.5

Comment

8. Minnesota Duluth

Their team has gotten a lot better lately, but their hot chocolate has gotten a lot worse. I would still feel that way even if the Gophers had won those two games. It was a not very good tasting, syrupy, lukewarm chocolate drink. After the first game I thought maybe it just tasted that way because it was from the bottom of the dispenser. So I had a second cup the next day. Never again.
                OK, but who has better food?
                the only place I'd spend money on food if I had to eat
                note that I said if, and spend money
                if you were buying, maybe elsewhere

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                  all pokechecker posts
                  they look like they're in haiku
                  but too many words
                  Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                  Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                  Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by tonythetiger20 View Post
                    all pokechecker posts
                    they look like they're in haiku
                    but too many words
                    I see what you did...
                    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                      We rarely eat food at the arenas other than popcorn at Mariucci where they make it fresh. Even the popcorn is expensive though. We had a really good pizza someplace in Hermantown once that Sam Downey recommended. Stay away from that bar in Proctor that's connected to the AmericInn unless you want really bad cheese curds. We had really good hamburgers and craft beers at a bar in either Bemidji or Grand Forks a few years ago. Sorry, not much help.

I may put together a list of good places to eat for away games, but it will probably take a few years.

Comment

We rarely eat food at the arenas other than popcorn at Mariucci where they make it fresh. Even the popcorn is expensive though. We had a really good pizza someplace in Hermantown once that Sam Downey recommended. Stay away from that bar in Proctor that's connected to the AmericInn unless you want really bad cheese curds. We had really good hamburgers and craft beers at a bar in either Bemidji or Grand Forks a few years ago. Sorry, not much help.

I may put together a list of good places to eat for away games, but it will probably take a few years.
                        Should have asked the wife first. The great hamburgers and craft beer was at JL Beers in Grand Forks and we get the popcorn at Drew's in Mariucci. Left halfway through the 3rd, but the men looked very good in beating PSU tonight. Also, got updates from Mankato from a Gopher fan about the good news of Piazza, Schipper (scoring goals no less) and May playing.

Comment

Should have asked the wife first. The great hamburgers and craft beer was at JL Beers in Grand Forks and we get the popcorn at Drew's in Mariucci. Left halfway through the 3rd, but the men looked very good in beating PSU tonight. Also, got updates from Mankato from a Gopher fan about the good news of Piazza, Schipper (scoring goals no less) and May playing.
                          Hadn't been to a men's game in a very long time but got the chance to go tonight. They did look very good as you said. Meanwhile, I was checking the phone for the stats update from Mankato and saw that both Schipper and Piazza got on the score sheet. Good news indeed.
                          Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 02-04-2017, 07:57 PM.
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            Hey, I'm trying to add some drama, help me out here. The sue and rodents are vulnerable, right?
                            No drama in the scores from yesterday, other than the OSU/St Cloud, but that was a toss-up anyway.

Comment

Final Score From Friday, February 3rd
                              St. Cloud State 3
                              Ohio State 1

Cloud Burst Rains on Buckeyes' Parade

OK, it was only a Minny Cloud Burst, lasting just 1:17. But the Huskies nimbly accumulated two goals early in the 3rd Period to provide the margin of the victory. The Buckeyes used a timeout to ride out the rest of the storm, but the damage was done.

For most of the season, Shots on Goal have been an issue for Ohio State. Yet the Buckeyes outshot the Huskies 34-26. Power Play Goals have also been hard to come by, yet the Bucks bagged one tonight. Still, the bigger picture is that credit must go to the Huskies, who weathered OSU surges in the first and third period to win the opener.

The 3 Stars of the Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Ohio State Honorable Mention: The Buckeye Power Play
                              1 for 4 on the PP doesn't jump off the page, but it was a quality conversion. Smartly cycling around the right face-off circle, Julianna Iafallo fired a crisp diagonal pass to Maddy Field at the left post. The St. Cloud keeper somehow saved Maddy's point blank shot. But Lauren Spring pounced on the rebound and slammed it home. If third assists were awarded, this one would have gone to Jincy Dunne, who was quarterbacking the play from the right point.

St. Cloud State Honorable Mention: Janine Alder
                              Janine stopped 33 of 34 shots, including a couple more uncontested, point blank attempts. In one dramatic sequence Katie Matheny ran down a Jincy Dunne lob pass in the slot, but Alder stood tall. As is often the case, the main story line focuses on the goal scorers. But without Janine's fine play in the nets, the Huskies don't win this game.

#3 Star: Christa Moody, St. Cloud State
                              Christa held in a Buckeye clearing attempt at the right point. From there, Moody launched a shot that proved to be precision rocketry. OK, the Buckeye goalie was likely screened by traffic in the slot. And yes, the puck may have glanced off a Buckeye defender on its way into the net. But however it exactly happened, the skies opened for Christa's well placed shot and the Cloud Burst was on.

#2 Star:Kayla Friesen, St. Cloud State
                              Next, the torrential Huskie forecheck culminated in a brilliant individual play by Friesen. Kayla singlehandedly stole the puck, drove to the net, and beat Kassidy Sauve one-on-one. No small feat.

#1 Star: (tie)Lauren Hespenheide, St. Cloud State and Kelsey Saelens, St. Cloud State
                              The Cloud Burst may have won the contest, but the real game-changer was the Huskies first goal. After OSU had largely controlled the opening frame, St. Cloud struck like lightning for a late period goal. Lauren was strong along the left wing boards, directing the puck behind the net. Kelsey diligently dug out the puck and fired into the slot. Meanwhile, Hespenheide had moved into scoring position. Receiving the pass and shooting in fluid motion, Lauren instantly neutralized the first period advantage the Buckeyes had worked so hard to gain. In a sense, this first Huskie goal merely foreshadowed the forechecking heroics to come. Still, to my eye, in this game, the game-tying goal actually made the biggest difference. Call it the leading edge of Friday evening's storm.

Up Next: Another Saturday Rematch, Another 3:07PM Face-Off. The Forecast Calls For Sunny, Cloud-Free Skies!
                              Last edited by pgb-ohio; 02-04-2017, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                                Up Next: Another Saturday Rematch, Another 3:07PM Face-Off. The Forecast Calls For Sunny, Cloud-Free Skies!
                                They are playing inside, so despite the forecast the Buckeyes should be fine.
                                https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/USMN0657:1:US
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X