Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: WCHA 2016-17 Season

Re: WCHA 2016-17 Season

Word on the street is Rebekah Kolstad is out first game next season as a result of late game penalty against Wisconsin in WCHA semifinal.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    Word on the street is Rebekah Kolstad is out first game next season as a result of late game penalty against Wisconsin in WCHA semifinal.
    She sure deserved that one....

After watching Bob Morris, I'm pretty convinced any team in the wcha could win the cha title.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    She sure deserved that one....

After watching Bob Morris, I'm pretty convinced any team in the wcha could win the cha title.
    Ya, the CHA is sort of between D2 caliber and D1. This is the conference Holy Cross should join as their women's team officially goes up to D1 status next fall. They would have a chance to be competitive right awawy.

The equivalent of the women's CHA on the men's side is Atlantic Hockey, where you usually need to win the conference tournament to get into the NCAA Tournament.....which gives all those teams a chance, a good thing. Sadly this year that is also the case with the "new" WCHA men's conference, which after realignment is just a shadow of its former self.

I wonder if SOME day we may see something similar develop with the women, should two additional Big Ten schools announce D1 programs. The most likely would be Michigan and Michigan State, and possibly Notre Dame which is joining the Big Ten men's conference next season. If that were to ever happen, we'd have:

Big Ten
    Minnesota
    Wisconsin
    Ohio State
    Penn State
    Michigan
    Michigan State, and/or possibly
    Notre Dame

WCHA
    Minnesota-Duluth
    North Dakota
    St. Cloud State
    Bemidji State
    Minnesota State
    (under this scenario the WCHA and CHA conferences would each need an additional member to receive an automatic NCAA bid, unless they were to combine)

Hard to predict the future decades out, but in the near-term (next 10 years?) I don't foresee the kind of conference realignment that we've seen on the men's side, which is probably a good thing for most schools.
    Last edited by D2D; 03-14-2017 at 11:51 PM.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Hard to predict the future decades out, but in the near-term (next 10 years?) I don't foresee the kind of conference realignment that we've seen on the men's side, which is probably a good thing for most schools.
    Give the huge lift B16 has given UM and UW we can only hope the Michigan schools and Notre Dame never ever get women's hockey

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    Give the huge lift B16 has given UM and UW we can only hope the Michigan schools and Notre Dame never ever get women's hockey
    The only way this would work is if they join the wcha. Going B6 in women's hockey would be a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    I agree. We've had seasons tickets to the men's games for over 25 years, but are not going to renew next season. Don't like the B16. Don't like the $200 gift/donation. Miss the games with the WCHA teams and dare I say especially the hated "Sioux." There was nothing wrong with the format they had with Michigan and Michigan State. And in full disclosure, it's getting tougher for us to attend two hockey games when the men and women play the same day.

Getting a B16 conference for women's hockey would be a disaster IMHO.
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-15-2017 at 08:25 AM. Reason: WCHA teams

Going B6 in women's hockey would be a disaster.
    We must have been typing this at the exact same time.

Your squad actually put up more goals in home games against Minnesota and Duluth this year than Robert Morris. Does that mean Robert Morris would have finished second in the WCHA?

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by EastFan1 View Post
    Your squad actually put up more goals in home games against Minnesota and Duluth this year than Robert Morris. Does that mean Robert Morris would have finished second in the WCHA?
    Of course not, it's not the score that tells me any team in the wcha could win the cha title, it's my eyes that tell me (bear in mind I've seen UW play every wcha team a minimum of twice, plus Cornell and Clarkson twice). I'm not saying MSU or Bemidji would dominate the cha, but my eyes tell me they can beat Robert Morris, and they are the best the cha has to offer.

Comparing the average scores throughout the season, rather than cherry-picking just the two games, would lead to a very different conclusion.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Don't mean to pile on, but on the chance that you weren't being facetious (no emoticon) I find it a little other worldly to think that Robert Morris could have possibly gone 1-3-1 (UMD) or 1-1-2 (UM) this year let alone allowed fewer goals in two away games to that team across the river from us. It brings to mind one of my favorite Everly Brothers songs though.
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-15-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Fishing has been pretty good for EF1 today...
    There is a certain irony that appears lost on the NFL players who decided to kneel for the Star Spangled Banner and then stood for God Save the Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    I find it a little other worldly to think that Robert Morris could have possibly gone 1-3-1 (UMD) or 1-1-2 (UM) this year
    It was stranger that Wisconsin only won 4 of 9 games despite outscoring Minnesota and UMD 27-12.

Robert Morris had a neutral site tie against Clarkson. Minnesota gets Clarkson neutral site this week-end.

It brings to mind one of my favorite Everly Brothers songs though.
    Let me guess: 'I Wonder If I Care As Much'?

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

It was stranger that Wisconsin only won 4 of 9 games despite outscoring Minnesota and UMD 27-12.
    hey cherry picker
    not when you consider the scores of two of the wins accounted for 16 of those goals
    throw out those two games it is 11-10 and a 2-2-3 record

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    hey cherry picker
    not when you consider the scores of two of the wins accounted for 16 of those goals
    throw out those two games it is 11-10 and a 2-2-3 record
    Correct. Wisconsin had the misfortune of not spreading out the collective beat down.

Quote Originally Posted by Leather helmet View Post
    Let me guess: 'I Wonder If I Care As Much'?
    Nope. "All I Have To Do Is Dream."
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-15-2017 at 04:38 PM. Reason: 1960 Hit

Nope. "All I Have To Do Is Dream."
    Your welcome...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTYe9eDqxe8
    There is a certain irony that appears lost on the NFL players who decided to kneel for the Star Spangled Banner and then stood for God Save the Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Thanks indeed. Seems like only yesterday.

Thread Information