Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA 2016-17 Season

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Is it more likely UW or UM loses this weekend? UW has the tougher match-up, but UW is a bit better than UM at this point defensively. My gut tells me UW is more likely to lose.
    I think there is a .1 greater chance of UND beating the Gophers than UMD beating UW.

UND has beaten the Gophers each of the last 3 seasons so they have our number-although some people say it is not UND that is the problem but the green in the uniforms.

I bet Wisconsin spends most of the game in the UMD defensive zone. When Gophers played UMD the first 2 periods were even, the last 4 the Gophers dominated. But it's hard to be comfortable because the Bulldogs have weapons that can strike quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
      . . .But it's hard to be comfortable because the Bulldogs have weapons that can strike quickly.
      They have speed that is for sure & like to spring Stalder, who is a beast and Brykaliuk who has a very nice shot. I could picture them taking points away from either MN or WI. MN had them at home & they put up a heck of a fight, at AmSoil they could be more of a problem.

Comment

A bigger question is will both teams get to where they are going. It looks like the beet pickers aren't getting hit with the storm, it seems to be passing between the two cities so I hope the Gophers are flying or they may never get there.
        The cheeseheads probably just have to contend with some rain getting there, and snow while they are there.

As for UMD's 2nd line, McGovern ( moved from the 1st for the UND series I believe) seems to be having a great year and Sydney Brodt might very well be the best freshman forward this year.

Comment

WI is in Duluth already, no worries there. The ground isn't frozen yet, so worst case the rodents can tunnel their way to Grand Forks...I'd bet there's already one established from rodentapolis to Grand Forks, so it will be a quick scamper through them, unless the oil guys have hit it, in which case it's not a bad thing to have it full of oil.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

WI is in Duluth already, no worries there. The ground isn't frozen yet, so worst case the rodents can tunnel their way to Grand Forks...I'd bet there's already one established from rodentapolis to Grand Forks, so it will be a quick scamper through them, unless the oil guys have hit it, in which case it's not a bad thing to have it full of oil.
            Says one burrowing creature to another...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI7E19iiDcs
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

OK, I have to admit that is a good one.

But isn’t the Badger State named after miners burrowing SW Cheeseland for the ore that causes brain damage?
              Modern Cheeseheads use beer to get there.

for those that have never been to North Dakota
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AHBsxlwG40
              gravel roads, beet farmers!
              Last edited by pokechecker; 11-18-2016, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                Bring it on home
                If you ever...change your mi-ind
                About scoring...four goals and winning toni-ight
                Yeah-ah, bring it to me
                Bring your sweet victory
                Bring it on home to me
                Yeah-ah-ah, yeah, yeah-ah-ah ,yeah, yeah-ah-ah, yeah.

Well, that felt good.

And a rare event it was.

Let`s see what happens tomorrow.

But even if UW wins...the `Dogs have served notice.

(And seriously, they did not play well).

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                  If you ever...change your mi-ind
                  About scoring...four goals and winning toni-ight
                  Yeah-ah, bring it to me
                  Bring your sweet victory
                  Bring it on home to me
                  Yeah-ah-ah, yeah, yeah-ah-ah ,yeah, yeah-ah-ah, yeah.

Well, that felt good.

And a rare event it was.

Let`s see what happens tomorrow.

But even if UW wins...the `Dogs have served notice.

(And seriously, they did not play well).
                  but isn't that a mark of a good team?
                  not play well for for part of the game, yet still get the W

Comment

So ARD is questionable to play, and from reading the rodent thread Woken and Potomak are in doubt. I really want to see both teams at full force, watch the best line in the country vs the best goalie/team D (whatever St. L).

Interestingly UW averages slightly more goals per game than the rodents, so will UW's scoring depth overcome the rodent top line?

Comment

...Interestingly UW averages slightly more goals per game than the rodents, so will UW's scoring depth overcome the rodent top line?
                      Good question. We won't know until the games have been played.
                      If Potomak can't go, that changes everything. She's a real key to the Gophers' first line.
                      But if Potomak plays, but ARD can't go, advantage Gophers.
                      Then if that's the scenario, and Minny's second and third lines can hold their own - which they've done very well up to this point - Gophers sweep.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        Good question. We won't know until the games have been played.
                        If Potomak can't go, that changes everything. She's a real key to the Gophers' first line.
                        But if Potomak plays, but ARD can't go, advantage Gophers.
                        Then if that's the scenario, and Minny's second and third lines can hold their own - which they've done very well up to this point - Gophers sweep.
                        How are my our neighbors to the west feeling about their goal tending situation? That could also be crucial. UW's top 2 lines are equal and the 3rd line is as good as most team's second lines (or first in some cases), will your goaltending be able to hold up under the pressure of a lot of quality shots?

Comment

How are my our neighbors to the west feeling about their goal tending situation? That could also be crucial.
                          No worries, especially if ARD isn't cleared to play:

Comparisons: Peters vs. Cece
                          GP 16 vs. 4
                          W 13-1-2 vs. 3-1
                          GAA 1.15 vs. 1.75
                          SV% .929 vs. .907
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

How are my our neighbors to the west feeling about their goal tending situation? That could also be crucial. UW's top 2 lines are equal and the 3rd line is as good as most team's second lines (or first in some cases), will your goaltending be able to hold up under the pressure of a lot of quality shots?
                            If your top goaltender is available you have an advantage. If you have to go with your back up the Gophers will have an advantage. Peters was a little shaky early in the season but of late she has been a rock, making all of the saves that she needs to make.

How the forward lines match up will not really be evident until they actually start to skate against each other. Obviously if Woken and Potomak are available the Gophers are better than they are without them, particularly and obviously Potomak. Woken is a good player and I want her to be available but the Gophers have been playing two lines and a third center. The third center has been alternating with two sets of 3/4 line wings. Woken is one of that alternating group. She is a very good player but she is a frosh. She is earning her time but she has not yet earned a clear spot on the third. So? We think we have some other players who can fill that spot.

The obvious question is Potomak and which of those rotating 3/4 liners would be most likely to line up in her spot. The Gophers finished up against Bemidji with Agnew there. Agnew has a quality resume, captain of last year's Canada U-18, not Potomak but a very good player.

Perhaps the real question is how the defensemen measure up. We like our corps, led by Olympic veteran and returning All-America Stecklein. Last weekend 6 took regular shifts with a 7th rotating in on Sunday. The Gophers have quality on D.

I am hoping for high quality entertaining hockey and may the better team get most of the points.
                            Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Don't know about ARD but Peters numbers are better than Cece's despite a shaky start to the season. She has been solid the last few weekends, better than yours. I am more concerned about the injury situation to the Gophers.

Comment

... will your goaltending be able to hold up under the pressure of a lot of quality shots?
                                We don't know; we've never seen Peters in that situation. Maybe she's the type of goalie who is better when she gets a lot of shots. I have no idea. We knew Leveille was going to be a keeper the first time she faced UW and all of her teammates disappeared, and she rose to the occasion. Peters hasn't had a similar defining moment yet. The best team she's ever played against as a Gopher was UMD, and they don't exactly fire a barrage of shots.

I think if everyone is healthy, it is advantage Wisconsin. The Badgers are more experienced in net, even though both goalies are four years into their careers. UW is likely to sweep and take the WCHA season title and get a higher seed. But with the injuries and youth on both rosters, that's about all that rides on this series. Both teams will look a lot different come March.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X