Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2016-17 Season

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Got a good laugh from this but I do have to say that the truth is that UMD never seems to have trouble scheduling games with eastern teams (ask BC, BU, HU, UNH, UConn and others) and has been doing so season after season for years and consequently is constantly stepping up to the plate with no excuses. So, a valid question might be who is really ducking who?
    OK, they are only ducking the good teams out West.

BTW - that original comment, like this one, was meant as a joke. Since Harvard (when they were good) BU, Syracuse and others have all been to Ridder I doubt anyone is ducking anyone. Hopefully if there are extra dates poor ol BC will finally get a shot soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      I do like the idea of 4 more non-conference games, I like seeing other teams. Lindenwood almost gassing the UW hockey team doesn't bode well for them fitting into the wcha from an operations standpoint. The UW players all said they hope they never have to go there again.
      I didn't see the game but I doubt it could have been worse than what UND or BSU bring against MN. I believe UW has similar problems with a couple of teams that on paper at least should not be s big a challenge as they are. Lindenwood has made some big strides in the last couple of years. I wouldn't expect them to be a top 4 right away but I don't see them losing any 10-0 games like they did in their early days.

Comment

• Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
        I didn't see the game but I doubt it could have been worse than what UND or BSU bring against MN. I believe UW has similar problems with a couple of teams that on paper at least should not be s big a challenge as they are. Lindenwood has made some big strides in the last couple of years. I wouldn't expect them to be a top 4 right away but I don't see them losing any 10-0 games like they did in their early days.
        I think my boy Timothy was referring to when Lindenwood literally almost killed the Badgers with poisonous gas...
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
          I think my boy Timothy was referring to when Lindenwood literally almost killed the Badgers with poisonous gas...
          I've heard that the plan to schedule some home games in Ypres.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
            I've heard that the plan to schedule some home games in Ypres.
            Oh, that is good. Very good.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

In all seriousness, while I know for a fact that BC has reached out to UM and UW in the past, the excuse has always been "we don't have room in our schedule because we play so many conference games."

At least in the short term, that shouldn't be the case.

I have to say I do think Lindenwood would be the prime candidate to get into the WCHA.
              I think its money. One reporter tweeting about the UND program said that Minnesota lost over $2M on its women's hockey program last year. You see some WCHA teams playing the Whitecaps multiple times at home and also non-conference games against other WCHA teams. I would bet the last thing the athletic departments want are more plane trips out east.

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
                One reporter tweeting about the UND program said that Minnesota lost over $2M on its women's hockey program last year.
                Before assuming one anonymous reporter's tweet to be true I'd like to see the official numbers straight from the U of M's athletic department. If the program lost $2M most other schools fared much worse.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/attendanc...men/2016-2017/
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

In all seriousness, while I know for a fact that BC has reached out to UM and UW in the past, the excuse has always been "we don't have room in our schedule because we play so many conference games."
                  And here I thought that all WCHA teams play the same number of conference games each year. Where in the world did I get that from? UMD must get a buy on some of those conference games and I never got the memo and never noticed the holes in their schedule. Might have to take this up with the Athletic Department.

Comment

If Lindenwood does join the WCHA, I'd strongly advise the Gophers to contact the Dr Who props department to purchase leftovers from "The Empty Child/Doctor Dances episodes. They could probably get a good deal on them or else each player could just be sure to bring their mummy with them. Still the creepiest episodes in the "regenerated" series, imho.
                    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      Before assuming one anonymous reporter's tweet to be true I'd like to see the official numbers straight from the U of M's athletic department. If the program lost $2M most other schools fared much worse.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/attendanc...men/2016-2017/
                      He posted some U of M documents. @chrislongkstp

$2,368,675 in expenses versus $350,586 in revenues.

Looks like the program had $128,428 in ticket sales and maybe the rest of the revenues were donations and NCAA travel money.

Head coach $320,998 in salary, benefits and bonuses. $232,132 for assistants. $500,725 for scholarships. $6,838 in travel for other teams. $53,965 for support staff. $17,502 for recruiting. $252,642 for travel. $134,586 for equipment and uniforms. $41,334 for game expenses. $43,518 for banquets and non-team travel. $13,530 for marketing. $675,869 for overhead and administration. $4,232 for conference membership dues. $71,926 for meals. $427,562 for game day expenses.

Comment

Looks like the program had $128,428 in ticket sales and maybe the rest of the revenues were donations and NCAA travel money.

Head coach $320,998 in salary, benefits and bonuses. $232,132 for assistants. $500,725 for scholarships. $6,838 in travel for other teams. $53,965 for support staff. $17,502 for recruiting. $252,642 for travel. $134,586 for equipment and uniforms. $41,334 for game expenses. $43,518 for banquets and non-team travel. $13,530 for marketing. $675,869 for overhead and administration. $4,232 for conference membership dues. $71,926 for meals. $427,562 for game day expenses.
                        Thanks, I missed Chris Long's post. Amazing how those expenses add up!

As far as the rest of the revenues are concerned, I'm pretty sure that the team (and the athletic department) still doesn't get parking revenues, unlike most schools. That would be a considerable amount, given that they charge either $10 or $8, depending on what other athletic events are going on that day. I'm not sure where the net revenue generated from concessions goes.

The $128,428 in ticket sales (if correct), averaged out to the team's reported attendance of 39,059, would equate to just $3.29 per fan. That seems a little low, given the fact that adults pay $8, and seniors and students pay $5. There are usually quite a few members of youth hockey teams in attendance, and they do get in free, but I'm skeptical if there would be enough to bring the average all the way down to $3.29 per.

One comment on expenses: both the $675,869 for "overhead and administration" and the $427,562 for "game day expenses" seem awfully high.

Lastly, I wonder how all these numbers compare to other teams?
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Game expenses $ 41,334 for photo copied rosters and new pucks?
                          Game day expenses $ 427,562 for message/nails/spa treatment? - 39 games=$10,963 - 25 players $438 per player per game. Chartered plane. Live is good in Gopherville. Just not fair UND

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            This will definitely hurt the depth of the league. Does UM or UW have any flexibility scholarship-wise to pick off the cream of the ex sue players?
                            Very creative solution to depth-of-league problem: skim off some cream for the Badgers and Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              Thanks, I missed Chris Long's post. Amazing how those expenses add up!

As far as the rest of the revenues are concerned, I'm pretty sure that the team (and the athletic department) still doesn't get parking revenues, unlike most schools. That would be a considerable amount, given that they charge either $10 or $8, depending on what other athletic events are going on that day. I'm not sure where the net revenue generated from concessions goes.

The $128,428 in ticket sales (if correct), averaged out to the team's reported attendance of 39,059, would equate to just $3.29 per fan. That seems a little low, given the fact that adults pay $8, and seniors and students pay $5. There are usually quite a few members of youth hockey teams in attendance, and they do get in free, but I'm skeptical if there would be enough to bring the average all the way down to $3.29 per.

One comment on expenses: both the $675,869 for "overhead and administration" and the $427,562 for "game day expenses" seem awfully high.

Lastly, I wonder how all these numbers compare to other teams?
                              you can question the numbers if you want, but the parking for example, kids & students don't drive cars, then there is the choo choo train which a fair number of people ride
                              If you do the math, MN & WI get chump change for their attendance, even averaging 1000 more fans than most others, times 7 bucks is still only $7000 a game. Safe to assume every school with a women's hockey team loses 2 million a year. UND was trying to close the budget , what? 3 million? There's 2/3rds of the money right there
                              and let's not forget UMD just went thru this
                              how many more schools will have to make adjustments?

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Oh, that is good. Very good.
                                👍 Agreed. Dark, but a good historical reference.

Comment

Working...
                                X