USCHO Poster's Poll: '16-'17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '16-'17

As the top ranked schools get most of the fodder (deservedly so) Is there any discussion as to the middle of the road to the bottom dwellers as it pertains to chances of moving up the polls? Seems as though there is usually one or two schools that are sleepers that ascend the ranks, maybe not top ten, but factor into the movement. Are there any schools out there that seem to be lurking that may make some solid upward movement? With all of the Coaching changes in the last year there could be some "non traditional" players.......thoughts?

Comment

First thing that comes to mind Agfire, for me is Merrimack.......I have no idea, at all what the team is like but I'll gladly bet on Erin Whitten and Kacey Bellamy! If anyone can create and forge a team in 2 years that makes a difference, they can!

Comment

agfire, I think Bemidji State is in this category. Maybe they are old news for this, but since 2000-01 season their wins per year were: 9-12-9-5-9-11-11-4-6-12-14-17-6-11 Clearly a bottom dweller to MOR team.
        Under their new coach, Jim Scanlan, they posted 21 and 22 wins the last two seasons.

They lost their goal scorers and a major 'D' after last year. So this season will tell if they remain in rarified air or fall back down. Lots of difference of opinion on the board about whether they do or not. I think Scanlan will keep them up there.

Comment

Good call on both Merrimack and Bemidji, I think SLU is going to be interesting this year as well. Obviously UMD isn't hiding from anyone this year.

Comment

I don't buy UMD @ 3/4. They beat BC once and they go from unrated to top 4. Too reactive, there's no way they jump other solid eastern teams like Q and Cl.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
              First thing that comes to mind Agfire, for me is Merrimack.......I have no idea, at all what the team is like but I'll gladly bet on Erin Whitten and Kacey Bellamy! If anyone can create and forge a team in 2 years that makes a difference, they can!
              If Merrimack appears in the top 10, that will be quite an accomplishment. I would say it's a bit premature.

Comment

Colgate had a great 15-16 campaign with a young team, and I think their results will improve. But your post does give me pause.

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                In reading all the viewpoints posted of the national top 10, I seem to be surprisingly hopeful! I know that most of you, if any, watched the 2 games between Colgate and UNH, but as I wrote in the UNH thread, they were much closer than anyone expected! Both games were close checking, fast paced affairs which really were not decided till half-way through the third, if that early! For those that don't know, UNH's class breakdown is Jonna Curtis the lone senior, followed by 7,7 and 8 freshman! So it is with great optimism in seeing most of you placing Colgate in the 4-7 position! This upcoming weekend will be a good tell for the Wildcats, as they take on Quinni and BU...... but given what the Brain Trust on this thread has said, I'm totally optimistic for this team! Thanks Guys.....

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
                  Colgate had a great 15-16 campaign with a young team, and I think their results will improve. But your post does give me pause.
                  last year MN beat lowly MSU-Mankato 2-1, 3-2, and 2-1 and everybody said "what's wrong with the Gophers?
                  a win is a win, and winning close games is good for a team

blow outs do nothing except make stats look impressive

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                    And make you hoarse and give you a sore arm from sieving all night. Love the blowouts!
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I totally understand your misgivings PuckRush, as in both threads I'm reaching, but in the case of Merrimack, Agfire was asking for possible longshots that might have good years....whether they attain the top 10 nationally, I doubt it but I do feel that because of Erin and Kacey, the team has a leg up! As for my comments on Colgate/UNH, I wrote it because after watching the 2 games, how close they were, especially given UNH's youth, and then seeing how everyone kept ranking Colgate so high, it made me feel pretty good! All I'm saying is I'll be watching how UNH handles this weekend more closely now......in the end PuckRush, I'm just an old guy hoping that his friends and Alumni have a good and interesting year! I will say though that I do think UNH will get home ice in HockeyEast and then hopefully make some noise! I don't know enough about Merrimack's team......

Comment

I don't think those scores were a fluke. I think JH is doing some great things at MSU and may become part of the conversation in the next couple of years!

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                        last year MN beat lowly MSU-Mankato 2-1, 3-2, and 2-1 and everybody said "what's wrong with the Gophers?
                        a win is a win, and winning close games is good for a team

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          I don't buy UMD @ 3/4. They beat BC once and they go from unrated to top 4. Too reactive, there's no way they jump other solid eastern teams like Q and Cl.
                          I agree with this, having ranked them No. 5 in the poll here, just one ahead of BC. I see that the USCHO poll has the two reversed, with BC just ahead of UMD at 5/6, which I also question given the result this past weekend.

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-womens-poll/

The first USA Today poll also has BC at No. 5, but they have UMD at No. 8 which IMO seems further off the mark.

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/usa-today-womens/

I guess we'll get a little better sense of where UMD belongs after they host Minnesota State this weekend.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            I agree with this, having ranked them No. 5 in the poll here, just one ahead of BC. I see that the USCHO poll has the two reversed, with BC just ahead of UMD at 5/6, which I also question given the result this past weekend.

The first USA Today poll also has BC at No. 5, but they have UMD at No. 8 which IMO seems further off the mark.

I guess we'll get a little better sense of where UMD belongs after they host Minnesota State this weekend.
                            I generally agree as well, it is difficult to believe UMD belongs that high! But after playing only two games, with a decisive win and a tie against BC it also was tough to not put them high in the ratings. (They also had a clear exhibition win against the Whitecaps which had an impressive roster despite the changes from the night before.)

I also need a lot more evidence before I'm convinced BC won't be good. To me, Katie King-Crowley is the premier recruiter out east. I think they need some games to get themselves together but will be a good to very good team by the end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                              I generally agree as well, it is difficult to believe UMD belongs that high! But after playing only two games, with a decisive win and a tie against BC it also was tough to not put them high in the ratings. (They also had a clear exhibition win against the Whitecaps which had an impressive roster despite the changes from the night before.)

I also need a lot more evidence before I'm convinced BC won't be good. To me, Katie King-Crowley is the premier recruiter out east. I think they need some games to get themselves together but will be a good to very good team by the end of the season.
                              I'm not sure she is such a great recruiter as much as the school recruits itself and players simply want to go there for a variety of reasons including that its a strong team, great city and great education (and scholarship school). I haven't seen much evidence that she herself is a premier recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                                I'm not sure she is such a great recruiter as much as the school recruits itself and players simply want to go there for a variety of reasons including that its a strong team, great city and great education (and scholarship school). I haven't seen much evidence that she herself is a premier recruiter.
                                Oh, come on. Look, I know Kinger takes a lot of flak here, but what else could she possibly do to persuade you she's not a premier recruiter?

Why do you think it's "a strong team"?
                                Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 10-06-2016, 05:31 PM.
                                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Working...
                                X