• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '16-'17

Last poll until the 2nd half...

Week XII Posters Poll:

Code:
    Rank Votes  Team (1st place votes)  Range (Mode)  Last week (change)
      1.    90  Wisconsin (9)           1-1   (1)     1
      2.    73  Minnesota               2-4   (2)     2 
      3.    69  Clarkson                2-5   (4)     4 (+1)
      4.    68  St. Lawrence            2-6   (2)     5 (+1)
      5.    55  Minnesota-Duluth        3-6   (5)     3 (-2)
      6.    47  Boston College          4-8   (6)     6 
      7.    32  Quinnipiac              5-9   (7)     7 
      8.    30  Colgate                 7-9   (7)     8 
      9.    19  Robert Morris           8-NR  (9)     9  
     10.     5  Northeastern            10-NR (10)    ARV (+1)

Also Receiving Votes:
             4  North Dakota            8-NR  (8,10)  ARV 
             2  Cornell                 10-NR (10)    ARV
             1  Boston University       10-NR (10)    NR 

Dropped Out:
                Princeton
                Vermont
    Here’s the Week 12 chart: https://s28.postimg.org/k3if0oyal/poll33.png
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by pensrule View Post
      Personally, I think the thought of centralizing for either Team USA or Team Canada is just silly.. Since the arrival of both the NWHL and the CWHL the gap between these 2 countries and the rest of the world (Sweden, Finland, Russia, Czech Republic, Japan, Germany, etc) is even wider! And with these two leagues operating the players used on the Olympic teams are playing hockey anyway! Is there really ever a question as to who will play for the gold medal? I mean come on! You could put together 3 or 4 teams from either country that would pound the other teams at the Olympics! I say shut down the college game for the two week period of the Olympics and let the 3-4 college players that are in the Olympics stay with their collegiate teams prior to and after the games are completed. Every team in college hockey has a bye week or two anyway and would it really be a big deal if you just pushed back the Frozen 4 a week during an Olympic year? I don't think it's necessary AT ALL to centralize the two super power teams!.. Total overkill that really isn't needed!
      in the case of Canada it is needed, it's the nations identity, they have to do SOMETHING better than U.S.
      the bigger question is why is women's hockey even an Olympic sport, is there another sport that so few of the rest of the world participates?

I'll be very surprised if the NWHL exists after this year, if next year wasn't an Olympic year, it'd probably be dead now.
      More interesting than the Olympics will be what happens to the "pro" leagues after the Olympics are over.
      Last edited by pokechecker; 12-14-2016, 02:10 PM. Reason: you never know, the US could break with tradition and fail to choke, ... and women's hockey could go big time, the US loves w

Comment

UW
        Minny
        Clarkson
        St. Lawrence
        UMD
        BC
        Quinny
        ND
        Cornell
        Colgate

Comment

My 2,314 word midseason recap

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
            Very nicely done, Grant. Your biggest error that I noticed was that you failed to capitalize 'twin cities'.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Clarkson returned their senior goaltender??? Think you meant sophomore goaltender. The senior goalie is the backup goalie.

Other than that good job.
              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Very nicely done, Grant. Your biggest error that I noticed was that you failed to capitalize 'twin cities'.
                I didn't even know that was a thing lol... Fixed. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by vicb View Post
                  Clarkson returned their senior goaltender??? Think you meant sophomore goaltender. The senior goalie is the backup goalie.

Other than that good job.
                  Oops -- Tiley and Rossman (QU) are the same goalie to me lol. Thanks, fixed. I got it right in my preseason article, anyway...

Comment

I didn't even know that was a thing lol... Fixed. Thanks!
                    There is a professional sports franchise from here with a nickname that would give you a hint about that, but they are pretty forgettable.
                    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

[QUOTE=Both Team Canada and Team USA already get the best of the best together multiple times a year for their respective National team camps and other international tournaments anyway. Why the need to centralize? Is it really a big mystery as to what players will be on the team? I'm sure the Team USA and Team Canada higher ups already know who they want on the team. The womens hockey world is pretty small. And the fact that the rest of the world really isn't any closer to these two teams today than they were 15 years ago..I just don't see the need![/QUOTE]

Totally agree, but I'm afraid too many people are too bi-opic. If the Olympic Womens Ice Hockey continues to be a exclusive contest between Canada and the USA, then it won't be long before some other 'more competitive' winter sport gets the nod from the Olympic Organising Committee, and Womens ice Hockey gets turfed out.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryFoodTech View Post
                        Totally agree, but I'm afraid too many people are too bi-opic. If the Olympic Womens Ice Hockey continues to be a exclusive contest between Canada and the USA, then it won't be long before some other 'more competitive' winter sport gets the nod from the Olympic Organising Committee, and Womens ice Hockey gets turfed out.
                        Sure hope this would ever come to pass, as it would deal a huge setback in the continued development of women's hockey at the highest level, which would inevitably filter down to lower levels. Should Women's Olympics cease to exist there would be no motivation for players to continue their intense physical training and to improve their skill development after completing their college eligibility. Right now, the Olympics is the ultimate dream for women hockey players. Take that ultimate prize away, and the whole sport all the way down would suffer negative consequences.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

North Dakota vs Lindenwood... an ugly split. Top of the WCHA showing some blemishes the last couple of weeks.

Anyone up for some banter during the break? Has the ECAC caught up? I thought the WCHA was the stronger conference, but after looking at it this way, I've changed my mind. Here are the match-ups, and yes, a couple could be argued in a different order:

Wisc vs Clarkson
                          Minn vs SLU
                          UMD vs Quinnipiac
                          UND vs Colgate
                          BSU vs Cornell
                          OSU vs Princeton
                          St Cloud vs Yale
                          MSU vs RPI
                          (ECAC Harvard, Dartmouth, Brown, Union would need to be left out of this tourney)

I think if the top 4 matched up, it's a 2-2 split, and then ECAC goes 4-0 in the next grouping. You?

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
                            North Dakota vs Lindenwood... an ugly split. Top of the WCHA showing some blemishes the last couple of weeks.

Anyone up for some banter during the break? Has the ECAC caught up? I thought the WCHA was the stronger conference, but after looking at it this way, I've changed my mind. Here are the match-ups, and yes, a couple could be argued in a different order:

Wisc vs Clarkson
                            Minn vs SLU
                            UMD vs Quinnipiac
                            UND vs Colgate
                            BSU vs Cornell
                            OSU vs Princeton
                            St Cloud vs Yale
                            MSU vs RPI
                            (ECAC Harvard, Dartmouth, Brown, Union would need to be left out of this tourney)

I think if the top 4 matched up, it's a 2-2 split, and then ECAC goes 4-0 in the next grouping. You?
                            Hard to say for sure...and have no motivation to search for hard facts on the topic. Yet I am of the belief that the top of the WCHA (in general) is still tops in the country (UW, MN, UMD (?)). The upper Midwest has top tier talent coming out of high schools. Based on intangibles, the ECAC doesn't quite have the head to head nor the NCs. Until that happens reliably, I think one has to go with the status quo.

After that, it gets more difficult. This IMO is because the next tier programs like UND and BSU have been built to counter the top WCHA teams. So between play style and emotion, UND/BSU are well positioned for games against these top tier teams. However, they remain questionable as day in day out teams.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post

Wisc vs Clarkson
                              Minn vs SLU
                              UMD vs Quinnipiac
                              UND vs Colgate
                              BSU vs Cornell
                              OSU vs Princeton
                              St Cloud vs Yale
                              MSU vs RPI

The problem, of course, is that you are matching up the bottom four teams in the WCHA against teams that are not the bottom four in the ECAC. It makes this approach worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                                The problem, of course, is that you are matching up the bottom four teams in the WCHA against teams that are not the bottom four in the ECAC. It makes this approach worthless.
                                that was my thought as well, the only true comparison would be to have inter-league play between all teams and see how it shakes out.
                                until them, we have the NCAA tourney

if people want to match up WCHA #1 against ECAC #4
                                #2 against #3
                                #3 against #2
                                and #4 against #1 to see who makes it to the NCAA tourney, I'd be for it
                                Last edited by pokechecker; 12-19-2016, 02:10 PM. Reason: let the CHA & Hockey Easy battle for the other 4 spots

Comment

Working...
                                X