Ohio State Buckeyes 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2016-2017

The Stars are up. Read the ugly truth over on the WCHA thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
      The Wisconsin Badgers picked up where they left off last Sunday. This team is the real deal, not exactly breaking news or a surprise. The Badgers are #1 for a reason and they were very sharp tonight. Wisconsin scored two goals in the first period, broke the game open with four more in the second period, then added another goal in the third period for a 7-0 final earlier tonight. The four-goal second period resulted in Buckeye goaltender Kassidy Sauve being replaced by freshman netminder Kaylee Remington. Sauve has been spectacular this season and has kept the Buckeyes in a lot of games, but tonight was just not her night. The #1-ranked Badgers had something to do with that. As has been the case in most of our games this season, Ohio State was outshot by a wide margin, 48-14. Kassidy Sauve saved 26 of the 32 shots she faced and Kaylee Remington stopped 15 of the 16 shots she faced. Wisconsin's Ann-Renee Desbiens saved all 14 of the shots she faced for the shutout. I've talked about Wisconsin's goal scoring. That was not the whole story. Wisconsin's defense really smothered Ohio State tonight and did not allow the Buckeyes to get much going. Back to the Badger offense ... goals were scored by Jenny Ryan (2), Sam Cogan, Annie Pankowski (2), Emily Clark, and Baylee Wellhausen. I think Coach Nadine Muzerall probably said it best after the game ... "At the end of the day the Badgers are the number one team in the country and they're more skilled than we are." The two teams are back at it tomorrow with game time being 3:07 pm EST.
      I watched the game online and although it is difficult to get a great feel for the game, Sauve did not look like her usual self. I hope it is just fatigue and not injury related.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
        I watched the game online and although it is difficult to get a great feel for the game, Sauve did not look like her usual self. I hope it is just fatigue and not injury related.
        Unfortunately for Kassidy and us Buckeye Women's Hockey fans, it is injury-related. I am not going to say anything further because no one knows how serious it is, but Kass hurt something in last night's game and we're all hoping and praying it's not something that keeps her out of the line-up for the rest of the season. It just sucks because she worked so very hard to rehab and get healthy after surgeries on both hips. My heart hurts for her because she is such a great kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          A positive take away from tonight's game (I watched some of it) is that you didn't get scored on as often as UM did in that game last Sunday and UM is ranked #2.

Another positive for you, but an aside...saw one of your alums, Natalie Spooner, in a Lady Speed Stick commercial the other day featuring females (athletes)...looked familiar but couldn't figure out who it was the first time I saw it then saw it again the next day and realized who it was. Following in Tessa Bonhomme's footsteps of capitalizing on their "celebrity"...all the power to them...really nice to see.

The commercial shows (among many other scenes/individuals) a female hockey player from behind skating and shooting on net and then it later shows her in the dressing room sitting after a good work out staring at the camera. The play on words just occurred to me ..."Lady Speed Stick".
          Thanks for the kind words, Blackbeard! It was a rough weekend for us Buckeye Women's Hockey fans, and in more ways than one! I am so happy when our alums go on to have success after OSU! Tessa Bonhomme has a nice gig at TSN and Natalie Spooner is such a rock star now with Hockey Canada. Tessa made it down here for Alumni Weekend in October. It was really great to see her. We are heading to Women's Worlds in Plymouth, MI, next April, so we will get to see Natalie. We cannot wait! Plymouth is maybe 2.5 hours from us. Unless Women's Worlds gets held in Ohio someday, I don't think it will ever be closer than USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth. We've already got our vacation time scheduled and a room. I just need to contact the arena and get all-session passes when they go on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
            The Stars are up. Read the ugly truth over on the WCHA thread.
            Heading over there now. Regarding today's game, it was more of the same, though the Buckeyes made some improvement. The Badgers took today's game by a final score of 5-0. The Buckeyes started well and the game was scoreless after one period. Then the second period happened. The Badgers erupted for four goals in the second period to take a commanding 4-0 lead. Wisconsin would add another tally in the third period for a final score of 5-0. Big props to Ann-Renee Desbiens for two shutouts this weekend. Yes, she only faced a combined 25 shots all weekend, but most goalies will say it is harder to stay sharp when they are not facing as many shots. Today's shots on goal differential was as bad as Friday's with the Badgers outshooting Ohio State 45-11. Ann-Renee Desbiens stopped all 11 of the Bucks' shots. Freshman goaltender Kaylee Remington played admirably in goal today, stopping 40 of the 45 shots she faced. Wisconsin spread the scoring around today with single tallies from five different players ... Presley Norby, Mikayla Johnson, Alexis Mauermann, Annie Pankowski, and Baylee Wellhausen. The Buckeyes finish their series with Wisconsin 0-3-1. This Badger team is worthy of their #1 ranking, no question about that. I will be surprised if they don't win it all this season. They are just amazing ... skating, shooting, passing, defending. There isn't anything that they don't do well.

Comment

Before knocking off for the holidays, check out the 3 Stars for Saturday's OSU/UW game. As always, the 3 Stars are on the WCHA thread.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                Heading over there now. Regarding today's game, it was more of the same, though the Buckeyes made some improvement. The Badgers took today's game by a final score of 5-0. The Buckeyes started well and the game was scoreless after one period. Then the second period happened. The Badgers erupted for four goals in the second period to take a commanding 4-0 lead. Wisconsin would add another tally in the third period for a final score of 5-0. Big props to Ann-Renee Desbiens for two shutouts this weekend. Yes, she only faced a combined 25 shots all weekend, but most goalies will say it is harder to stay sharp when they are not facing as many shots. Today's shots on goal differential was as bad as Friday's with the Badgers outshooting Ohio State 45-11. Ann-Renee Desbiens stopped all 11 of the Bucks' shots. Freshman goaltender Kaylee Remington played admirably in goal today, stopping 40 of the 45 shots she faced. Wisconsin spread the scoring around today with single tallies from five different players ... Presley Norby, Mikayla Johnson, Alexis Mauermann, Annie Pankowski, and Baylee Wellhausen. The Buckeyes finish their series with Wisconsin 0-3-1. This Badger team is worthy of their #1 ranking, no question about that. I will be surprised if they don't win it all this season. They are just amazing ... skating, shooting, passing, defending. There isn't anything that they don't do well.
                Read an interesting comment on the Wisconsin thread about how inept their PP was. The comment mentioned one of their highest 5on5 goal scorers never plays PP. I never gave it much thought until I heard the announcer in Friday's game mention that Ohio's PP unit was ranked 35th out of 37 teams with an abysmal conversion percentage of only 4 PP goals in 20 games. Watching the PPs this weekend it almost makes sense. Ohio plays a lot of the PP with 3 defence and only 2 forwards that play it have more than 1 goal this season, some F have 0 goals. Conversely their higher goal scorers never play PP. Theo Epstein and the statistical analysis groupies would have a field day with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by crutch View Post
                  Read an interesting comment on the Wisconsin thread about how inept their PP was. The comment mentioned one of their highest 5on5 goal scorers never plays PP. I never gave it much thought until I heard the announcer in Friday's game mention that Ohio's PP unit was ranked 35th out of 37 teams with an abysmal conversion percentage of only 4 PP goals in 20 games. Watching the PPs this weekend it almost makes sense. Ohio plays a lot of the PP with 3 defence and only 2 forwards that play it have more than 1 goal this season, some F have 0 goals. Conversely their higher goal scorers never play PP. Theo Epstein and the statistical analysis groupies would have a field day with this one.
                  Ohio State's coach coached a team last year that had a power play conversion rate of .422 for a full season. Hopefully Theo will take that into account before judging the coach's decision making too harshly

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                    Ohio State's coach coached a team last year that had a power play conversion rate of .422 for a full season. Hopefully Theo will take that into account before judging the coach's decision making too harshly
                    Need skilled players for a power play to be effective. Ohio's skilled players are young, it is a work in progress. In spite of this weekends results I really think the coaching staff are on the right track and will be better for it long term. Hoping Sauve is not too badly injured as when she is on top of her game she gives this team a chance every game !

Comment

Originally posted by crutch View Post
                      I never gave it much thought until I heard the announcer in Friday's game mention that Ohio's PP unit was ranked 35th out of 37 teams with an abysmal conversion percentage of only 4 PP goals in 20 games...
                      For most observers, the conversion rate is goals per PP opportunity, not goals per game. But either way the number is unacceptable. That said, it's also a stat that's being lifted out of context.

Most of the WCHA is currently challenged in this department. Six of our Eight teams rank 24th or worse. (Bottom Third) But would you argue that 6 of the 8 WCHA teams are among the worst in the country?

Further, you have a small n problem. Add 3 PP Goals and OSU would be exactly tied with UND and in a virtual dead heat with BSU. (at #24 & #25) In other words, in the middle of the WCHA pack. So just a small uptick would eliminate the "scandal," and the topic wouldn't have arisen.

Part of the issue is that WCHA teams face strong PK units week after week. It that category, Five of the Eight WCHA teams rank 13th or better. (Top Third)

FWIW, OSU's PK is 6th in the nation with a 91.5% success rate. In the league, that's behind only UND. Also part of the larger picture is the fact we're 2nd in the nation in Penalty Minutes taken at 6.2 per game. Only Minnesota has fewer.

No question the Buckeye PP needs work. But add a little context, see a fuller picture.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                        For most observers, the conversion rate is goals per PP opportunity, not goals per game. But either way the number is unacceptable. That said, it's also a stat that's being lifted out of context.

Most of the WCHA is currently challenged in this department. Six of our Eight teams rank 24th or worse. (Bottom Third) But would you argue that 6 of the 8 WCHA teams are among the worst in the country?

Further, you have a small n problem. Add 3 PP Goals and OSU would be exactly tied with UND and in a virtual dead heat with BSU. (at #24 & #25) In other words, in the middle of the WCHA pack. So just a small uptick would eliminate the "scandal," and the topic wouldn't have arisen.

Part of the issue is that WCHA teams face strong PK units week after week. It that category, Five of the Eight WCHA teams rank 13th or better. (Top Third)

FWIW, OSU's PK is 6th in the nation with a 91.5% success rate. In the league, that's behind only UND. Also part of the larger picture is the fact we're 2nd in the nation in Penalty Minutes taken at 6.2 per game. Only Minnesota has fewer.

No question the Buckeye PP needs work. But add a little context, see a fuller picture.
                        Interesting however adding 3 goals to their 4 for 57 performance would be almost doubling their output on the pp which is no small task. This is a young team and I would not expect much more from them in the 2nd half unless they start shooting the puck a little more when they are on the pp. They seem to be looking for that perfect shot all the time. If you don't shoot, it is tough to score and their low shot count is a key contributor to their low offensive output so far this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                          Interesting however adding 3 goals to their 4 for 57 performance would be almost doubling their output on the pp which is no small task.
                          Have to disagree on this point. It actually IS a small task. A single 3 for 5 night against Penn State or Mankato would get the job done.

Maybe this example makes my original point clearer. Even if the one big night comes through, you wouldn't argue that the PP was cured on that basis alone. Nor would you conclude the rest of year (on the man advantage) had been hunky dory after all. When the numbers are this small, doubling isn't that hard and doesn't constitute much of an accomplishment.

I still say that the big picture is that OSU is part of group of 6 WCHA teams that all need significant improvement on the PP. Within that group, the marginal difference of three goals isn't the real issue and isn't worth panicking over.

This is a young team and I would not expect much more from them in the 2nd half unless they start shooting the puck a little more when they are on the pp. They seem to be looking for that perfect shot all the time. If you don't shoot, it is tough to score and their low shot count is a key contributor to their low offensive output so far this season.
                          Good observations. I would add that good defenses taking away shooting lanes has a lot to do with the reluctance to shoot. But you're right: If the finesse plays aren't clicking, it's time to get the puck to the net and try for the so-called greasy goals.

Comment

Looks like Breanna Blesi is coming to UW and not OSU. Any idea to which coach she committed to at OSU? I always wonder on these flips what the backstory is as to why she was interested in OSU and at what point did MJ decide to get involved.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Looks like Breanna Blesi is coming to UW and not OSU. Any idea to which coach she committed to at OSU? I always wonder on these flips what the backstory is as to why she was interested in OSU and at what point did MJ decide to get involved.
                              I am sure it has more to do with playing behind Kassidy Sauve for the next 2 yrs...........one only gets 4 yrs and to ride the bench for 2 yrs would not be a great experience !

Comment

Originally posted by BigFan View Post
                                I am sure it has more to do with playing behind Kassidy Sauve for the next 2 yrs...........one only gets 4 yrs and to ride the bench for 2 yrs would not be a great experience !
                                That though did cross my mind. She will be on the UW roster with Nicole Cece for 3 years, a highly regarded goalie also, we shall see if she can beat out Cece for PT as a Fr. when Cece will have probably 12 games under her belt already.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X