Colgate 2016-17 A New Beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colgate 2016-17 A New Beginning

[QUOTE=sshablak;6371596They are a huge team, only one defenseman under 6-2, lot's of forwards over that.[/QUOTE]

Holy cow was this true. They looked huge, at least on the video.

Point did alright for start #1. I thought he spent a bit too much time down on his knees, which got him out of position on a few instances. Not a bad performance overall, even for giving up 4 goals. It'll be interesting to see how Vaughan plays next weekend with the goalies.

On the one hand, penalties are going to happen, especially when dealing with ECAC refs like this. I agree with empty net, though, Black's late hit from behind was (almost) a killer. Simply can't do that kind of thing.
    ECAC Champions: 1990
    NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
    ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
    NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
    Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
      We need to be patient with this young rebuilding team
      When was the last time Qpac had a rebuilding year? How are some teams able to keep the recruits and momentum coming, not miss a step, and stay at the top year in and year out? They've done it even before we played them in LP in 2014, kudos to them.
      C O L G A T E
      2023 ECAC CHAMPION
      1990 NCAA FINALS
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
      ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
      ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Point is a huge goaltender and I like that he did not seem to fear any of the opposing players (most notably on a pop fly in the third period) he stood his ground with a charging forward and simply caught it with no fear. If I were to critique his game, it was tracking the puck off the rebound. There were a few times he did not track it and if there was a uconn player anywhere near it, the puck was was going to light the lamp. Not a bad first start for him, but definitely areas to improve upon.

I am just hoping that Finn or Point take over the job as the #1, I think you get more consistent play that way
        Last edited by red133883; 10-18-2016, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Red... I'm hoping it's Point as he is our future goaltender.

This weekend is a must for the win column. Merrimack currently is 0-3 with losses in the north country last weekend (acceptable, but they did lose 4-0 and 4-1) and a home loss to Sacred Heart! This should be one of the worst teams in what seems to be a "down" HE this year (so far anyway). A road sweep would be huge with two against what looks like a much improved Maine team the following weekend. Looking at these next four a 2-1-1 record would be solid I think. A 2-2 would not be the worst thing either. I'm thinking we see Finn in net one night and Point the other this weekend.

Comment

Good morning. I'll be making the (short) trip to North Andover this evening to see the Raiders play the Warriors. Hopefully I'll see the team's first win of the season. Go 'Gate!
            Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
              Good morning. I'll be making the (short) trip to North Andover this evening to see the Raiders play the Warriors. Hopefully I'll see the team's first win of the season. Go 'Gate!
              Well, you'll see one team get their first win of the season (now watch, it'll end up in a tie!)
              'Mack has started out very slowly. Only 2 goals in 3 games while giving up 10. Lack of offense is an annual lament. They do have some size, and some decent speed (watch Seney and Foget).
              Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                Well, you'll see one team get their first win of the season (now watch, it'll end up in a tie!)
                'Mack has started out very slowly. Only 2 goals in 3 games while giving up 10. Lack of offense is an annual lament. They do have some size, and some decent speed (watch Seney and Foget).
                Each of the past two meetings between 'Gate and Merrimack have ended in 1-1 ties.
                Colgate '09

Comment

Tough loss, they played hard but gotta get results

Comment

Either the refs are whistle-happy or we need to wise up, play smarter, and stay disciplined. A penalty 3+ minutes in and a SHG...we are young.
                    C O L G A T E
                    2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                    1990 NCAA FINALS
                    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                    ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                    ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

I agree with you TchrBill re: the refs/penalties. On EACH of our first two power play opportunities we took a penalty to negate it - but it was a result of our being sloppy and almost giving up a shorthanded breakaway. But we gave up a SHG, and had a goal taken away because the ref blew the whistle a split second before the puck crossed the goal line. Take away either one of those and we could be talking about a different outcome for last night's game.

On the other hand, the team never quit. Just 18 seconds after giving up the SHG (cardinal sin!), we scored a goal of our own - in fact, it was still the same power play opportunity! In fact, all 3 of our goals were scored not long after Merrimack took 2-goal leads of 2-0, 3-1, and 4-2. This is a young team and we are still establishing our identity. Finding the back of the net hasn't exactly been a problem - 8 different players have scored goals over 4 games so far. Congrats to Jared Cockrell on his 1st career goal.

Other mumbo jumbo from last night's game:
                      1. Rene Rancourt sang the national anthem prior to puck drop, dressed in tuxedo - what a pleasant surprise!
                      2. Whenever Merrimack went on a power play, Kurt Angle's theme was played over the PA - huh?
                      3. Whenever we went on the power play, the theme from Cops was played over the PA.
                      4. We wore the same jerseys that we wore for the 1st game of the season vs. Army - I'm guessing these are our regular road jerseys. I like them, they have a throwback feel to them. Don't know why we wore them for the opening game at home though.
                      5. There's a Dunkin' Donuts attached to the hockey rink there!

Lawler Rink reminded me a lot of Starr Rink. It's aisles are right against the glass (and just as narrow), and the lobby felt a lot like the one at Reid Athletic Center. Merrimack may be in the shadow of BC, BU, and UMass Lowell, but its rink has certainly given its hockey team a home-ice advantage.
                      Colgate '09

Comment

Tonight's game is on FCSA here in CNY channel 372 at 7:00. Fox College Sports Atlantic
                        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rainman;6377277) We wore the same jerseys that we wore for the 1st game of the season vs. Army - I'm guessing these are our regular road jerseys. I like them, they have a throwback feel to them. Don't know why we wore them for the opening game at home though.[/QUOTE]

Guessing they were trying to emulate the "throwback" look of 1965 on opening night. Maybe now they have become our road jerseys?

Go 1 for 11 on the PP and miss a 5x3 and you're gonna lose games. DV seemed beside himself describing the game in the USCHO article on line.
                          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

I'm b-a-a-a-a-c-k...the state has, in a humane gesture, released me from one of its facilities...this year just hoping for constant improvement, not necessarily game-by-game, but certainly month-by-month...we all know this is going to take time...now that I'm retired hoping to get up to what appears to be a great arena...DV may do something this year that he doesn't do often, rotate goalies...and we do have competition for playing time (thank God)...freshmen look reasonably good year-to-date; we simply need to bring in above average talent over the next couple of years...patience - something not well practiced by yours truly - will be necessary...

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                              I'm b-a-a-a-a-c-k...the state has, in a humane gesture, released me from one of its facilities...this year just hoping for constant improvement, not necessarily game-by-game, but certainly month-by-month...we all know this is going to take time...now that I'm retired hoping to get up to what appears to be a great arena...DV may do something this year that he doesn't do often, rotate goalies...and we do have competition for playing time (thank God)...freshmen look reasonably good year-to-date; we simply need to bring in above average talent over the next couple of years...patience - something not well practiced by yours truly - will be necessary...

Well if Greencoat is the new positive guy that makes me the most pessimistic poster for sure. I see others are finally agreeing with me about these penalties though. Just can't afford to be a team that is one of the most penalized and expect to win at home or on the road.

Also are we the only team that has NHL draft talent that doesn't even suit up? I guess DV was not impressed with his 41 save effort in a tie. Finn's record going back to 1/16 last year is 4-12-2. I hope to see Point in tonight.

Comment

well, I guess it depends which medication I'm on...because let's face it folks, there's a lot of pressure on DV (and a host of others) to deliver an acceptable product over the next few years...I noticed that the UConn game's announced attendance was c. 1300. At least we are now up to 17 full scholarships (still one short of the max)...the refs do seem to be calling everything, ruining the flow of play and frankly giving the appearance that this is women's hockey...let's get a "W" tonight...it's a long trip home...

Comment

Working...
                                X