Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colgate 2016-17 A New Beginning

Happy new season

Looking forward to some bounce back after last year's rough campaign. I've moved down to Texas, so probably not making it up to the new rink. This season anyway...

Go 'Gate! Beat Army!
    ECAC Champions: 1990
    NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
    ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
    NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
    Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

Tim Harrison - 4 penalties = 16 minutes
      Army looked very good.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Army looked good but, were they good or us mediocre? Jared Cockrell was our best frosh #14. Per usual the officiating was brutal. Feola thought he was on tv.
        Last edited by sshablak; 10-02-2016, 10:13 AM.
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Positives:
          Rink was gorgeous with many details not overlooked! In-game media was great and a nice upgrade. Pep band in attendance - check. Good to see Black back with solid play and ice time. Kulevich looked steady. Some young talent I think will make an impact on this team throughout the season. Great seeing the student body at the beginning of the game and no one leaving until the game ended. I like the presentation of players from the pros jerseys in the rink area.

Meh:
          Many people opting to stand in SOA rather than fill the bowl. Food hasn't been upgraded. Boy would it be nice to have a Good Nature while taking in the game. Nice to see many non-hockey alumni (Howard Fineman, Mark Murphy) in attendance. Did McDonald or Milbury make it back? Gotta be tough looking through the net from the President's box to the other end of the rink.

Opportunities:
          Officiating was bad but Tim's penalty was a boneheaded move. I feel they gained the lead and then became complacent. Should've been firing all game with energy. Within the final minutes...Army flick-in nearly mishandled by Finn - not good.

Glad that 'gate hockey is back! Future is promising. Looking forward to seeing this group grow together and spread out the scoring. Always a great weekend when we can visit Hamilton.

Comment

'65 Arena was all they advertised, and Riggs Rink beautiful. Great to be on top of the action from wherever you stand/sit. Think this frosh class will only get better with a few games under their belt; got to cut down on the PIM obviously - maybe some first night jitters? Army played a cagey game and would not go away, although we blew some good opportunities. Liked the way Derek Freeman played (except his penalty). Bobby McMinn impressed me with his speed, and Jared Cockrell looked good. BU will be a huge test, but DV will come up with some strategy this week (hopefully).

On the negative side: no section numbers, difficult to know where one's seats were...concession stand is about 1/3 the size of Starr's....men's room too tiny, only 6-8 urinals by my count (Starr must have had 10-12), some lines ensued ...not sure I like the circular scoreboard over the ice - difficult to make out the penalties.....need Canadian flag and anthem....marble steps up from the lobby are narrow and not deep; seems like an accident waiting to happen. Don't mean to be nit-pickey; overall I love the building. I realize not everything is finished off yet but hope some of the small things will get attention.

(How about that FB meltdown?)
            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

A couple of observations from last night's game: the team has not yet had the chance to get the "feel" of the rink.....how the puck comes off the boards, etc. with only a week's worth of practice. That situation will certainly improve. To see Derek Freemen, scoring the first goal, and leaping up on the glass in front of the student section, which was packed, with students pounding on the glass is WHAT HAS BEEN SORELY MISSED AT STARR. And, to have the new President right in among the students, who started a cheer for him.....UNREAL!!!!!!!!!! An emotional event and one I am so very happy to have been a part of.
              I saw Kevin Lough who said he recently signed with Adirondack and he also said that Darcy Murphy has signed with Tulsa of the ECHL.
              Go 'Gate!!!

Comment

Originally posted by College_Hockey_Fan View Post
                Boy would it be nice to have a Good Nature while taking in the game.
                Guess I have to dust off the flask...

Comment

Here is my 2 cents on the game:

The start of the first period looked real rusty. Finn Looked good, used the blocker a lot which is always scary because it leads to rebounds but he was placing them in the right places. There is so much more balance on this team that in the past years. I think the Spink line was great for the team but teams wont be able to focus on one line like the past two years.

The reffing was absolutely horrible. It seemed like they put their whistles in their pockets in the third and then all of a sudden found them, so the third period was way too inconsistent.

We will really find out about the team next week, although it is kind of upsetting that BU will be on Saturday when the students are "off" for fall break, hopefully they will stay around and make that Student section rowdy like last night. And I notice that there was no Canadian National Anthem, you think that was because of Army or something that will be lost in the new rink?
                  Last edited by red133883; 10-02-2016, 07:12 PM.

Comment

A few thoughts after watching the game on replay

Very choppy play with all the calls. Hard to get a sense of what the team can do with all the whistles and guys in and out of the box. They don't strike me as a particularly fast team, but that could just be the way this one played out. On the one hand, the officiating was inconsistent, as is tradition. On the other, at least a few of our calls were pretty easy to make, and dumb mistakes that need to get cleaned up. In particular Harrison, who giveth (nice snipe for the 2nd goal) and taketh away (silly hitting from behind to get tossed).

When the PP got set up, they moved the puck nicely, but could use a little more speed there to open up defenders and get some better shots. Hopefully that comes with time and experience.

No one player in particular stood out, though I agree Finn had a nice game. Tough goal to give up for the equalizer, but they were under the gun given the circumstances.

Strange to watch a home game at not-Starr. Set up looked nice with the lower-level student section and concourse. I'm a bit surprised they let the students get up against the glass quite like that, but I won't complain. Nice new goal horn, hopefully we get to hear it plenty more over this season and the ones to come.
                    ECAC Champions: 1990
                    NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
                    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
                    ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
                    NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
                    Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

Originally posted by red133883 View Post
                      And I notice that there was no Canadian National Anthem, you think that was because of Army or something that will be lost in the new rink?
                      Would guess that the Canadian flag - and perhaps anthem - were not yet available for '65. Lot of little things not in place yet. Also think the American flag needs more prominence, like out over the ice above one of the cages instead of against the back wall where it's hardly noticeable.

Disappointed Colgate attacks twice down at the end where students sit. I know this is all about getting them more into the game and interested, but will miss sitting behind that goal, as at Starr. Hopefully the students will turn out in numbers to fill this section and not make this a one-time thing.
                      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

I'm finally in front of a laptop computer, so I can finally post my thoughts about this weekend.

To say the Class of 1965 Arena is an upgrade from Starr Rink is an understatement. Yes, the capacity is the same, but it's more spacious, it has a full seating bowl, standing room areas (for those like me who prefer to stand during the game), but most importantly - it's a beautiful facility both inside and out! In the past 9 years, the university has renovated its library, built a new science center, and now a new athletic facility. All of these buildings are a perfect 10 out of 10 in my book. By just standing in the new rink, you can see that the university is certainly committed to making our hockey programs (both men's and women's) successful. This may be a biased point of view, but our facility is way better than Quinnipiac's. It's definitely on par with Tsongas Center in Lowell and Agganis Arena in Boston, in both functionality and atmosphere, and also when "used" as a recruiting tool.

Now as far as the game went last night - like all of us, I would have preferred a win over a tie. Either we don't have any discipline, or the refs just felt like calling anything they thought was offensive on the ice. They swallowed the whistle for most of the 3rd period - only to call two penalties on us and NONE on Army late in the 3rd and OT (the former lead to the game-tying goal).

BU will be a difficult test, especially with the students on break. But I already like what I'm seeing from this team compared to last season. A couple of NHL scouts were standing next to me at the game, taking notes on Jake Kulevich, thinking he's got the potential to play in the pros. I was also told to look for good things out of Bobby McMann. He's wearing number 9 - the last two players to wear that jersey number before him was Austin Smith and Tyler Burton, so he's got some big shoes to fill there (but maybe it's also a good omen).

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                        (How about that FB meltdown?)
                        The most agonizing, embarrassing defeat I have ever witnessed. We must never talk about it again. All will be forgiven if we can run the table in the PL.
                        Colgate '09

Comment

Just an FYI......Darcy Murhpy has been invited to training camp by the Tulsa Oilers. Not sure if a contract is involved.

Comment

Kulevich had the opportunity to leave this year, he decided to stay and get his degree.
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Looking forward to making the trip to your rink this weekend! Any recommendations on food and beverage before the game? Even if it's on the way? What's the parking situation?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                Looking forward to making the trip to your rink this weekend! Any recommendations on food and beverage before the game? Even if it's on the way? What's the parking situation?
                                Good Nature brewery is in town; I understand they have a tap room.

Comment

Working...
                                X