Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Colgate 2016-17 A New Beginning

Quote Originally Posted by ColSkate65 View Post
    I think Shabby knows the figures on that. Shabby, can you chime in?
    If I remember correctly it holds around 1500 or so, it seems really small but that is about what they are going to get a game. Tater glad you are coming and I hope you enjoy the campus but this is not Boston or even close to a big city, only 2 lights downtown. The big question is do you want to build a rink that holds 3 or 4 times the avg attendance so it "looks good" or build it for your fan base that you know you will get. Take a look at the attendance stats on this site and you will see what I am talking about. No need to build a 5000 seat arena when you are averaging 2100 etc... The town is very small and I know a lot of fans are driving from outside of Hamilton to see games myself included.

Best of luck to BU this year except for our game and if you are a beer guy stop at Good Nature for some good microbrews

Re: Colgate 2016-17 A New Beginning

Quote Originally Posted by still an empty net View Post
    If I remember correctly it holds around 1500 or so, it seems really small but that is about what they are going to get a game. Tater glad you are coming and I hope you enjoy the campus but this is not Boston or even close to a big city, only 2 lights downtown. The big question is do you want to build a rink that holds 3 or 4 times the avg attendance so it "looks good" or build it for your fan base that you know you will get. Take a look at the attendance stats on this site and you will see what I am talking about. No need to build a 5000 seat arena when you are averaging 2100 etc... The town is very small and I know a lot of fans are driving from outside of Hamilton to see games myself included.

Best of luck to BU this year except for our game and if you are a beer guy stop at Good Nature for some good microbrews
    Gotcha. And I wasn't expecting a 5k arena, thinking more 2.5-3k capacity. Sometimes a new arena can boost attendance. BU's (newer) arena draws more than their old arena on even almost its worst day, though sometimes there are significant areas of empty seats too. Again, much, much larger local population.

Anyways, from what I've seen, the new arena looks great and am looking forward to seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by still an empty net View Post

I saw on the Colgate website that capacity was 2100. It looks beautiful. I'm an ASU alum and fan and hope we can get something like that. Keeping fingers crossed. Any of you making the trip to Tempe? You are playing in our Oceanside Arena and an arena it is not. Only holds like 750. But it will do for now. We also use the Coyotes rink for some games. Good luck and look forward to having you all out in Tempe!

Seating capacity of the new arena is 2,222 at a cost of $37.8 million.
    I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a river and have been skating ever since!

Quote Originally Posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
    Seating capacity of the new arena is 2,222 at a cost of $37.8 million.
    That's over 17k per seat!

TD Bank Sports Center...built 2004, $52,000,000.....2016 dollars.....$59,300,000.....3386 seats......$17513.29 per seat!!
    Go 'gate!!

Quote Originally Posted by blemberg View Post
    TD Bank Sports Center...built 2004, $52,000,000.....2016 dollars.....$59,300,000.....3386 seats......$17513.29 per seat!!
    Go 'gate!!
    That's wrong. 52 million for the separate basketball and hockey arenas.

TD Bank Sports Center vs. Class of 1965 Arena.....you pick!

Here every day

The day has finally come ! Waited about twenty years, in about three years we'll be competing with Q-Pac Hiya Mark.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Go 'Gate!

Time to hit the road for an unprecedented and memorable weekend in the making, win or lose. On the field, on the ice...thank you, AD & VP Chun...and Welcome to Colgate, President Casey!

Go 'Gate!
    Beat Cornell FB
    Beat Army MIH
    C O L G A T E
    1990 NCAA FINALS

Let's Go 'Gate!

Happy new season

Looking forward to some bounce back after last year's rough campaign. I've moved down to Texas, so probably not making it up to the new rink. This season anyway...

Go 'Gate! Beat Army!
    ECAC Champions: 1990
    NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
    ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
    NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
    Let's Go 'Gate!

Tim Harrison - 4 penalties = 16 minutes
    Army looked very good.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Here every day

Army looked good but, were they good or us mediocre? Jared Cockrell was our best frosh #14. Per usual the officiating was brutal. Feola thought he was on tv.
    Last edited by sshablak; 10-02-2016 at 10:13 AM.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Positives:
    Rink was gorgeous with many details not overlooked! In-game media was great and a nice upgrade. Pep band in attendance - check. Good to see Black back with solid play and ice time. Kulevich looked steady. Some young talent I think will make an impact on this team throughout the season. Great seeing the student body at the beginning of the game and no one leaving until the game ended. I like the presentation of players from the pros jerseys in the rink area.

Meh:
    Many people opting to stand in SOA rather than fill the bowl. Food hasn't been upgraded. Boy would it be nice to have a Good Nature while taking in the game. Nice to see many non-hockey alumni (Howard Fineman, Mark Murphy) in attendance. Did McDonald or Milbury make it back? Gotta be tough looking through the net from the President's box to the other end of the rink.

Opportunities:
    Officiating was bad but Tim's penalty was a boneheaded move. I feel they gained the lead and then became complacent. Should've been firing all game with energy. Within the final minutes...Army flick-in nearly mishandled by Finn - not good.

Glad that 'gate hockey is back! Future is promising. Looking forward to seeing this group grow together and spread out the scoring. Always a great weekend when we can visit Hamilton.

Signer of '65 Arena first beam.

'65 Arena was all they advertised, and Riggs Rink beautiful. Great to be on top of the action from wherever you stand/sit. Think this frosh class will only get better with a few games under their belt; got to cut down on the PIM obviously - maybe some first night jitters? Army played a cagey game and would not go away, although we blew some good opportunities. Liked the way Derek Freeman played (except his penalty). Bobby McMinn impressed me with his speed, and Jared Cockrell looked good. BU will be a huge test, but DV will come up with some strategy this week (hopefully).

On the negative side: no section numbers, difficult to know where one's seats were...concession stand is about 1/3 the size of Starr's....men's room too tiny, only 6-8 urinals by my count (Starr must have had 10-12), some lines ensued ...not sure I like the circular scoreboard over the ice - difficult to make out the penalties.....need Canadian flag and anthem....marble steps up from the lobby are narrow and not deep; seems like an accident waiting to happen. Don't mean to be nit-pickey; overall I love the building. I realize not everything is finished off yet but hope some of the small things will get attention.

(How about that FB meltdown?)
    COLGATE HOCKEY:"Welcome aboard Jared, Ross, Bobby, Paul, Jacob, Tyler, Colton, Ben and John"

A couple of observations from last night's game: the team has not yet had the chance to get the "feel" of the rink.....how the puck comes off the boards, etc. with only a week's worth of practice. That situation will certainly improve. To see Derek Freemen, scoring the first goal, and leaping up on the glass in front of the student section, which was packed, with students pounding on the glass is WHAT HAS BEEN SORELY MISSED AT STARR. And, to have the new President right in among the students, who started a cheer for him.....UNREAL!!!!!!!!!! An emotional event and one I am so very happy to have been a part of.
    I saw Kevin Lough who said he recently signed with Adirondack and he also said that Darcy Murphy has signed with Tulsa of the ECHL.
    Go 'Gate!!!

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Quote Originally Posted by College_Hockey_Fan View Post
    Boy would it be nice to have a Good Nature while taking in the game.
    Guess I have to dust off the flask...
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Here is my 2 cents on the game:

The start of the first period looked real rusty. Finn Looked good, used the blocker a lot which is always scary because it leads to rebounds but he was placing them in the right places. There is so much more balance on this team that in the past years. I think the Spink line was great for the team but teams wont be able to focus on one line like the past two years.

The reffing was absolutely horrible. It seemed like they put their whistles in their pockets in the third and then all of a sudden found them, so the third period was way too inconsistent.

We will really find out about the team next week, although it is kind of upsetting that BU will be on Saturday when the students are "off" for fall break, hopefully they will stay around and make that Student section rowdy like last night. And I notice that there was no Canadian National Anthem, you think that was because of Army or something that will be lost in the new rink?
    Last edited by red133883; 10-02-2016 at 07:12 PM.

Let's Go 'Gate!

A few thoughts after watching the game on replay

Very choppy play with all the calls. Hard to get a sense of what the team can do with all the whistles and guys in and out of the box. They don't strike me as a particularly fast team, but that could just be the way this one played out. On the one hand, the officiating was inconsistent, as is tradition. On the other, at least a few of our calls were pretty easy to make, and dumb mistakes that need to get cleaned up. In particular Harrison, who giveth (nice snipe for the 2nd goal) and taketh away (silly hitting from behind to get tossed).

When the PP got set up, they moved the puck nicely, but could use a little more speed there to open up defenders and get some better shots. Hopefully that comes with time and experience.

No one player in particular stood out, though I agree Finn had a nice game. Tough goal to give up for the equalizer, but they were under the gun given the circumstances.

Strange to watch a home game at not-Starr. Set up looked nice with the lower-level student section and concourse. I'm a bit surprised they let the students get up against the glass quite like that, but I won't complain. Nice new goal horn, hopefully we get to hear it plenty more over this season and the ones to come.
    ECAC Champions: 1990
    NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
    ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
    NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
    Let's Go 'Gate!

Signer of '65 Arena first beam.

Quote Originally Posted by red133883 View Post
    And I notice that there was no Canadian National Anthem, you think that was because of Army or something that will be lost in the new rink?
    Would guess that the Canadian flag - and perhaps anthem - were not yet available for '65. Lot of little things not in place yet. Also think the American flag needs more prominence, like out over the ice above one of the cages instead of against the back wall where it's hardly noticeable.

Disappointed Colgate attacks twice down at the end where students sit. I know this is all about getting them more into the game and interested, but will miss sitting behind that goal, as at Starr. Hopefully the students will turn out in numbers to fill this section and not make this a one-time thing.
    COLGATE HOCKEY:"Welcome aboard Jared, Ross, Bobby, Paul, Jacob, Tyler, Colton, Ben and John"

Thread Information