Colgate 2016-17 A New Beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2016-17 A New Beginning

Talk about depressing!! I am NOT giving up on this team. And I would add - to those of you who are the biggest complainers and naysayers - if you are not members of Silver Puck, put your $$$ where your mouth is. Most of that money goes to recruiting costs. I know it has been a frustrating few years. Who do you think feels that the most? The coaches and players. Let's not beat them when they are down.

Comment

would totally agree...to be honest I wish Jerry and SPC would market themselves a lot more and don't be afraid to press current donors to increase their annual contributions every year...that being said, we simply have to recruit at a higher level, fully understanding how competitive the process is (and our small size and high AI)...

Comment

Tuesday night games are awful, especially against Cornell. Why do they continue to do this? Even the game in Ithaca is a Tuesday...

As for the game itself, they spent too much time pinned into the defensive end. Not going to win a lot of games from your own end. It is to their credit that they showed such fight after going down 2 goals, but the downside is that it took going down 2 goals to get it. There are bright moments, but hard to string together much in the way of consistently solid play.

They have an opportunity, heading out on the road to face a new program. Would be really nice to grab a couple of wins to tie everyone over the holiday until they pick back up in Dartmouth.
        ECAC Champions: 1990
        NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
        ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
        NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
        Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

Hey Colgate alums and fans. I'm an ASU alum and wanted to welcome anyone coming out to Tempe. I was born and raised on UVM hockey before moving west, so I know and appreciate the tradition of your great program. This is our first full D1 season at ASU and we still are looking to build our program and of course, an arena. You all will be playing in the very humble surroundings of Oceanside (we also play at Gila River Arena in Glendale). This to give you a perspective is the rinks you probably grew up playing in as a kid. It holds about 700. But I know when Harvard was out their coach enjoyed the experience as it reminded the kids of their youth days. We have some plans for a new arena on the horizon in partnership with the NHLs Coyotes (a 16k arena for them and 4k arena for us), but still need some tough public financing approvals by June. But it is still fun at Oceanside, but very chilly! For those not making the trip, our student broadcasting school will have live video of the game. ASUs website has those links. The students do a really nice job and the broadcast is free of charge. We split with RPI last weekend and have been much better of late. We had a really tough opening schedule. Anyway, welcome to the desert southwest. I'm excited that you guys are coming out to play us. My best to you all.

Comment

Originally posted by TheValleyRaider View Post
            Tuesday night games are awful, especially against Cornell. Why do they continue to do this? Even the game in Ithaca is a Tuesday...
            I really do wonder how much that game will draw at Lynah. I'm not worried about the locals but student turnout has already been iffy within this decade. At least Cornell is on the road during the February break this season. When they changed the spring calendar almost 3 years ago (a new "Winter Break" being a result), you'd have games in Ithaca right as the recess began, and thus many of the students would already be gone...
            Last edited by Red Hockey; 11-30-2016, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
              Rainman, we virtually ensured our first year in the new barn would be awful by simply lousy recruiting after the loaded Class of '16 came to school...perhaps the program spent too much time lobbying for a new building (noticed a lot of empty seats last night as well, some, I'm sure are season ticket holders) where, BTW, there wasn't much noise last night either...Dexter leaving probably didn't help either...Rainman, our record against Cornell is typical: other than the 2013-14 season we do not compete well against the better teams in the league. Our recent record against Harvard is equally poor. I appreciate our Clarkson's friend's informative input, but, as I've whined about several times, Colgate seems to regard the USHL as off limits for some incomprehensible reason (this has gone on for a decade)...and what troubles me about this year is not really the record; it's the lack of any real visible progress in growing as a hockey team...
              With that all I can say is that assistant coaches matter, Andy Jones was a great guy and a solid recruiter and did specialize in the USHL but that really never proved to result in any big recruits from that league, with Josh Hauge coming in he had established relations within the USHL and it resulted in 3 really good players in Kielly, Haralds Egle who has really fit in nice and as he learns to play more of a two-way game he will continue to put the puck in the net and was a great late add to this years class, and Jere Astren a dman who had a nice year on a few teams in the USHL after coming over from Finland, he was previously committed to Wisconsin but with the coaching change he decided on Clarkson, he signed an NLI with Wisconsin so I'm assuming that led to him being ineligible for this season but he is on campus and is practicing. Now Clarkson seems to be bringing in at least a few USHL kids a year and it results in early playing time because the pace of that league stands out in my eyes. Maybe Don needs to change up his staff a bit and add a guy with the midwest connections who can make an immediate impact like Hauge did with Clarkson.

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89 View Post
                Hey Colgate alums and fans. I'm an ASU alum and wanted to welcome anyone coming out to Tempe. I was born and raised on UVM hockey before moving west, so I know and appreciate the tradition of your great program. This is our first full D1 season at ASU and we still are looking to build our program and of course, an arena. You all will be playing in the very humble surroundings of Oceanside (we also play at Gila River Arena in Glendale). This to give you a perspective is the rinks you probably grew up playing in as a kid. It holds about 700. But I know when Harvard was out their coach enjoyed the experience as it reminded the kids of their youth days. We have some plans for a new arena on the horizon in partnership with the NHLs Coyotes (a 16k arena for them and 4k arena for us), but still need some tough public financing approvals by June. But it is still fun at Oceanside, but very chilly! For those not making the trip, our student broadcasting school will have live video of the game. ASUs website has those links. The students do a really nice job and the broadcast is free of charge. We split with RPI last weekend and have been much better of late. We had a really tough opening schedule. Anyway, welcome to the desert southwest. I'm excited that you guys are coming out to play us. My best to you all.
                Thanks for the welcome Revs89. We are all looking forward to these games in the desert and seeing how the Raiders match up against the Astecs (?). Congrats on your new Div-I program and welcome to the bigtime. Even though your facilities are somewhat out of the past, I'm sure our team will find them a throwback to earlier, good times. Will be interested in seeing the construction progress of your new rink. As you might know we just opened our new Class of '65 Arena, and it is an amazing venue for college hockey (and a huge upgrade from our previous digs). Good luck this season to you, and hope we have some fun, competitive games ahead...with us winning of course...
                COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                  Thanks for the welcome Revs89. We are all looking forward to these games in the desert and seeing how the Raiders match up against the Astecs (?). Congrats on your new Div-I program and welcome to the bigtime. Even though your facilities are somewhat out of the past, I'm sure our team will find them a throwback to earlier, good times. Will be interested in seeing the construction progress of your new rink. As you might know we just opened our new Class of '65 Arena, and it is an amazing venue for college hockey (and a huge upgrade from our previous digs). Good luck this season to you, and hope we have some fun, competitive games ahead...with us winning of course...
                  Good stuff! We are actually the Sun Devils. It's been cold this week, but supposed to be 70 over the weekend. So hopefully the student-athletes enjoy the trip here.

I saw some of the videos of your arena. It is amazing! I would love something like that here. I'm keeping my fingers crossed everything works out here, but know there is some tough conversations ahead. And saying the facility is "out of the past" is being generous! But when we play at Gila River (Coyotes venue) it is so big and the atmosphere can be stale. Oh well, we will do the best with what we have for now.

Good luck this weekend and for the rest of tour season!

Comment

We knew this year was going to be a rough one, hang in there people, it will get better. Patience is a virtue.
                    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

A split feels less than ideal, but those were two tight games. I enjoyed watching the ASU broadcast, though that rink felt tiny even on the screen. Student broadcasters did nice job, polished and pretty knowledgeable, including about our team.

Anyone know what happened in the postgame handshake? Shenanigans started just off-camera, and I didn't catch which of our guys was involved. It was definitely a chippy weekend, as I saw Freeman share some of his opinions with the ASU bench after getting the go-ahead goal. Long trip and a long season wearing guys down a bit, or was it something specific to this weekend?
                      ECAC Champions: 1990
                      NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
                      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
                      ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
                      NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
                      Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

Freeman may be a "yapper" but his passion is something that could be used by other members of this team. The split seemed fair, which gives you an idea of exactly where we are as a DI team right now. "Shabby" is right - patience is needed and, so far, a virtue...I would say the one year out we'll get a much better feel for where this program is going in the intermediate term. AT THAT POINT if tangible improvement is not seen - improved skill/improved speed - then an in depth evaluation of the program will be in order. Next year's class looks to be on paper quite similar to this year's freshmen - good, not great. Growth as a team, where freshmen improve into their sophomore years, is a must. The Class of 2016 was ready to play at the DI level almost immediately. I am on my knees hoping that both this year's first-timers (and probably next year's first-timers as well) continue to up their games as they progress on the ice. I want to see our new arena alive and full virtually every home game...

Comment

Originally posted by TheValleyRaider View Post
                          A split feels less than ideal, but those were two tight games. I enjoyed watching the ASU broadcast, though that rink felt tiny even on the screen. Student broadcasters did nice job, polished and pretty knowledgeable, including about our team.

Anyone know what happened in the postgame handshake? Shenanigans started just off-camera, and I didn't catch which of our guys was involved. It was definitely a chippy weekend, as I saw Freeman share some of his opinions with the ASU bench after getting the go-ahead goal. Long trip and a long season wearing guys down a bit, or was it something specific to this weekend?
                          It was good having you guys out this weekend. I was at both games and it was a chippy weekend. The postgame deal was in my opinion, simply the emotions of a tightly fought weekend. The kid from ASU that was involved is one of our more scrappier players. It was unfortunate, but I saw most players outside of that little deal extending handshakes.

Our student broadcasters work very hard at their craft and the school usually sends out a great deal of talent into the profession. It is a luxury having them as they do many of our sports and as I mentioned above, it is nice that it is free. I'm hoping whatever conference we land in will not force the school into the pay to view nonsense.

And yes, it is tiny at Oceanside. Low ceiling, small stands and the such make for a more than cozy setting. We are the polar opposite spectrums on the arena front. This little ice box or our other "home" venue at Gila River Arena which seats 18k. We are making do with what we have for now and hopefully will get the new arena approval in June. Fingers crossed.

Good luck the rest of the season and into your postseason.

Comment

Am hanging in there as you say, shabby, what other choice do we have? Am always a cautious optimist here on this board and offer a different perspective which is not intended to offend. Colgate hockey has been around since ? and we barely eeked out a split to a 2nd-year program in a HS rink. Despite travel, good teams know how to win wherever they play. We have been unable to win the league hardware or make a statement in the NCAAs. I hear about growing pains and young teams, but does it always take until senior year for players like Kulevich to make such an impact? Where is our own Jack Eichel or Matthew Peca? Union is already clawing its way back from a slight drop after its national title, and Quinnipiac has been able to maintain momentum AND national prominence for years. It feels like Sam Anas, Eric Lampe, Brandon Wong, and Eric Hartzel never left. Penn State, in just its 5th year, is ranked 7th in the nation with an 11-1-1 record. The Raiders have fallen short in AC and LP on more than one occasion which makes one wonder what else needs to be done? Our new rink was a necessary step in the right direction, but it will take much more.
                            C O L G A T E
                            2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                            1990 NCAA FINALS
                            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                            ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                            ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

So we have one fewer win than we did at this time last season, but two fewer losses. We also have one more win than we did at this time in the 2010-11 season.

Hopefully the break will allow us to rest up, get healthy, and find success during the second half of the season. After January 14, all of our remaining regular season games are entirely within New York State. If we can go .500 in league play, it should give us at least an 8th-place finish.

Happy Holidays
                              Colgate '09

Comment

interesting to watch the progression of Ron Fogarty's team down in Princeton, NJ...a win last night against Q-Pac capped off a nice streak for the Tigers: two road wins at then #10-ranked Bemidji, a home loss to Union, a home win against RPI, and last night's big win against Rand Pecknold's Bobcats...it has taken some time, but Fogarty and Dexter look like their turning this weak program around...

Comment

Working...
                                X