Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colgate 2016-17 A New Beginning

We lost lopsidedly in our new home ... ugh

Football scored at least 31 points for the 3rd game in a row but is 0-3 in those games ... DOUBLE ugh

That said, I believe I read on Twitter that BU dressed FOUR 1st-round draft picks
    Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
      Since we play Colgate so rarely, I have to post a couple memories, neither of which were good ones for us BU fans.

1990 NCAA semis - in front of what seemed like 1,000 people at Joe Louis, Colgate knocks off a BU team that was really the start of the resurgence featuring Joe Sacco, Shawn McEachern, Mike Sullivan, and dynamic freshman Tony Amonte. McEachern sees his shot with 12 seconds left go off the goalies glove (Gardner? Something like that) and then off the post.

1991 - the very next fall, the pre-season #1 Terriers blow a 5-goal lead at home (also did the same against Michigan) and lose something like 8-6.
      Sacco Amonte and Mceachern were one hell of a line. I remember the game well.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

I thought we started out well enough, generated some chances, but BU was just too much. Played a little better later in the 3rd, but of course the game was out of reach by that point. Shots were 30-30 overall, though we got 14 of ours in the 3rd.

Some of those penalties were foolish, but some of that was the result of playing a team that has talent everywhere on the ice. You take penalties when you're getting beat on the ice.

On the bright side, I doubt we see a team with BU's collection of talent for the rest of the season. We may play a few squads that wind up being better, but I don't want to read too much into a beating from a team that could feasibly do that to more than a few opponents.
        ECAC Champions: 1990
        NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
        ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
        NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
        Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

BU was loaded talentwise and also sizewise. I wouldn't read too much into this game this early in the season, it was expected. I thought Finn and our young defensemen played pretty well, my worry is who's going to score goals ?

Comment

I think his weekend's game is huge. No it's not a do or die game especially this early but it will set the tone. We (or at least I) expected a win against Army and didn't have high hopes for BU. To go through your first threee games at the rink without a win would hurt and with the lack of known goal scorers it could get tough to get the momentum.

Plus with the impressive student section right behind the goal you need to keep them involved and excited, the students seem to be and understandably fair weather. Extended losing streaks would probably deplete the energy that section can provide

Comment

I agree with you Shabby, offense will be a struggle this year with so many freshmen up front. Seguin put out his preseason ECAC look on "the other site" and has us at last right now. I am still wondering about Dauda? I wonder if he did something during the week? He was tied for 7th with points returning from last year at 9, 2 goals and 7 assists. However, he came in late as we know and only played in 20 of the 37 games. Panowyk had 18 pts but only 4 goals, glad he was able to get one the other night. If we are to be a top 8 team in the league, which realistically should be the goal, we will need some freshman putting up some points.

Red I also agree that a win over UCONN would be huge to keep the fan base and students interested but they are the better team right now so we will see. I'm thinking we will see Finn in net Friday and than Point will make his debut either against Merrimack or the next week at home vs Maine. I assume DV put Racine in the other night just to get him some ice time when the game was already over.

Comment

Women at #6! Congrats...many tough games ahead but they are in amazing company. Have come a long way since club status and Title IX. Hope the students and fans come out to support them more.
                C O L G A T E
                2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                1990 NCAA FINALS
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

I've been trying to find a gallery of the new rink, but I am coming up empty handed. Would anyone have a lead to share?

Thanks!
                  Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                  What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                    I've been trying to find a gallery of the new rink, but I am coming up empty handed. Would anyone have a lead to share?

Thanks!
                    The Colgate Athletics website has photo galleries here: http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/galleries/

Also, I was at the first game in the new building and posted a "virtual video tour" to my YouTube channel (basically me walking around the concourse): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpKl2ZdBynE
                    Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                      The Colgate Athletics website has photo galleries here: http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/galleries/

Also, I was at the first game in the new building and posted a "virtual video tour" to my YouTube channel (basically me walking around the concourse): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpKl2ZdBynE
                      Beautiful Arena! Thanks for the tour!

Comment

Hockey East UConn Friday night, they finished about ten games under 500 last year. They are picked middle of the pack in HE. They are a huge team, only one defenseman under 6-2, lot's of forwards over that. Four NHL draft picks, nine USHL players including the top goalie from the USHL last year. Team had two shutouts over UAH last weekend, it's not getting much easier, a win would be huge for us.

Comment

I actually think the UConn game will be more of a barometer of what we might expect from our young team this year. Last weekend was BU, that was expected, who will step up tonight ?

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                            I actually think the UConn game will be more of a barometer of what we might expect from our young team this year. Last weekend was BU, that was expected, who will step up tonight ?
                            Anybody else on here anymore lol? Seems to be shabby and I having a personal conversation. I'll take the tie considering we gave up 45 shots! Our D needs to be stronger than that and our O needs to understand that a 3-2 lead is not a safe lead with 2 periods to play. Seriously only 3 SOG in the second period? Good first game for Point, UCONN looks legit with some real NHL talent on there. Glad to see Dauda back in the lineup (2 assists). Penalties again kill me! Are we trying to set a record? How does Black take a boarding penalty with 2:30 to go when the game is tied? Seriously lucky to walk away with a tie after that.

Comment

I'm not at all disappointed with last night's game. Offense picked up a little, Petersen SHG, Mcmann goal and a dinger off the post, Point looked a little nervous to me, he's big, and a great glove hand.
                              We were a perfect 8-8 on the PK, refs calling every tic tac penalty, there's not much flow to the game, hope they stop.
                              UConn had some draft picks that could really go, thought they were a pretty dam good team, very big.
                              We need to be patient with this young rebuilding team, I think we're going to be very competitive with potential for some good wins. I don't see a last place finish as some writers have picked us.

Comment

Had the pleasure of watching a large chunk of the game w/ Shabby last night! Agree that the calls were over the top. There was a holding call off a faceoff early on that particularly stands out, got to let them play at least a little. The team seemed to sit back when they got a lead, really attacked when they went down 4-3... would expect the effort to even out as they mature. I remember a scout telling me during Finn's freshman year that he wasn't an NHL prospect as they like their goalies to have their shoulders covering the top of the net when they go to their knees... that's not a problem for Point!

Fun team to watch. I'm sure they will have bad stretches, but between the young players & the new rink we're headed in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                                X