Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2016-17 A New Beginning

Originally posted by red133883 View Post
    So I was trying to figure out what allows us to have a home series, this is what I have for now....if there are any other situations post them

1st) get as many points as Princeton AND
    - Get 2 more points than Dartmouth
    - Get 3 more points than Yale
    - End up in a three way tie with Yale and Dartmouth (we win with most points between teams)
    - End up in a four way tie with Yale, Dartmouth and Princeton. ( we win with most points between teams)

*We do not have the tie breaker against Dartmouth based on the 3rd tiebreaker (points against the top 4, assuming top four is Union, Harvard, Cornell and St. Lawrence), and there is no way for us to be tied with Dartmouth and have the 2nd tiebreaker (league wins). So we have to be ahead of them at the end of Saturday. Yale we just have to tie with as we have the head to head win.

If anyone sees another way or if I messed up a tie breaker, let the discussion begin
    Looks right to me Red.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Record between teams, then most wins, THEN top four.

http://ecachockey.com/men/2016-17/standings (bottom of page)
      Thanks flaggy ! You coming to see the new rink, RPI sat night ?

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
        Thanks flaggy ! You coming to see the new rink, RPI sat night ?
        I haven't missed RPI men at Colgate since 2008; I have no intentions of breaking that streak this weekend. Did Good Nature get taps in there, or am I going to have to pre-game?

Comment

So I was trying to figure out what allows us to have a home series, this is what I have for now....if there are any other situations post them

1st) get as many points as Princeton AND
          - Get 2 more points than Dartmouth
          - Get 3 more points than Yale
          - End up in a three way tie with Yale and Dartmouth (we win with most points between teams)
          - End up in a four way tie with Yale, Dartmouth and Princeton. ( we win with most points between teams)

*We do not have the tie breaker against Dartmouth based on the 3rd tiebreaker (points against the top 4, assuming top four is Union, Harvard, Cornell and St. Lawrence), and there is no way for us to be tied with Dartmouth and have the 2nd tiebreaker (league wins). So we have to be ahead of them at the end of Saturday. Yale we just have to tie with as we have the head to head win.

If anyone sees another way or if I messed up a tie breaker, let the discussion begin
          Looks right to me Red. Our best-case scenario for Friday is, in order of priority:
          -We defeat Union
          -St. Lawrence defeats Dartmouth
          -Quinnipiac defeats Yale

If those all happen, we would climb into 8th with 1 game to go. Meanwhile, if we lose Friday and Dartmouth defeats SLU, that will guarantee us a 9th or 10th place finish, forcing us on the road.
          Colgate '09

Comment

not to diminish the UMD winner (Connelly?), but Austin deserved the Hobey...and I don't think it was even that close...I remember the commentary on USCHO.com that year and a lot of college hockey savants were quite surprised at the result...UMD had a great year, but Smith #s were absolutely the best, 36 goals for Christ's Sake and a plus 25 on a team that went 19-17 (with ties)...let's get a split this weekend and see what happens...and let's score some GD goals...PLEASE

Comment

Steve, your shoulder gonna prohibit you from attending any games this w/e?
              COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                Steve, your shoulder gonna prohibit you from attending any games this w/e?
                Nope, planning on being at both games. Thank Doc Gowan for that !

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                  not to diminish the UMD winner (Connelly?), but Austin deserved the Hobey...and I don't think it was even that close...I remember the commentary on USCHO.com that year and a lot of college hockey savants were quite surprised at the result...UMD had a great year, but Smith #s were absolutely the best, 36 goals for Christ's Sake
                  I wholeheartedly agree with you GreenCoat. I think the fact that we missed the NCAA's that year hurt us. We started the 2011-12 campaign 12-4-2, then went 7-13-1 the rest of the way, failing to win 20 games. Wonder if that factored in as well...
                  Colgate '09

Comment

I'm just getting into random scenarios here but this would also get us into eighth place on Friday (however it would not allow us to control our own destiny on Saturday).

Tie against union. A Princeton tie, and a Dartmouth loss.

We wouldn't control our own destiny because we couldn't be tied with Dartmouth alone at the end of the season and get the tie breaker so we would be reliant on Princeton to tie with us

Comment

I'm just getting into random scenarios here but this would also get us into eighth place on Friday (however it would not allow us to control our own destiny on Saturday).

Tie against union. A Princeton tie, and a Dartmouth loss.

We wouldn't control our own destiny because we couldn't be tied with Dartmouth alone at the end of the season and get the tie breaker so we would be reliant on Princeton to tie with us
                      That would put us into a 3-way tie for 8th with 1 game to go. A 3-way tie between 'Gate, Dartmouth, and Princeton would go Dartmouth-Colgate-Princeton, in that order.
                      Colgate '09

Comment

Yea, you are right, I should have read my first post! The three way tie we win is Yale, Dartmouth and Colgate.

Comment

I'm sure glad the "brains" on this thread are figuring out the coulda..shoulda....woulda scenarios. It's beyond my comprehension
                          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                            I'm sure glad the "brains" on this thread are figuring out the coulda..shoulda....woulda scenarios. It's beyond my comprehension
                            I'm with ya... but I do know we need the upset Friday otherwise the big brain stuff doesn't matter much. Let's get that done, then worry about Saturday!

Comment

Looking forward to tonight's game, we're playing better and gave Union all they could handle in Schenectady. Maybe we can start a new "Curseeeee".

Comment

Seriously, is there ice at Starr? Given the importance of the game we should have the game there. What was union at Starr 3-14-1???

Comment

Working...
                                X