Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Monday Night Fight Night

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    The most correct thing Drumpf said? We shouldn't have be the world's police every effing time anymore.
    He didn't quite say that. He said we ought to be the world's mercenary. "Nice alliance you've got here. Shame if something 'appened to it."

Between that and his balance of payments nonsense I finally understand Trump. He's the world's last Mercantilist. That's why he thinks we should have taken the oil. That's what Charles V would have done.

Spoiler: it doesn't work.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Everybody's a comedian.
      Cornell University
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        Chris Christie just said that "fact checkers have a political agenda."
        At 1:24 the Fox News headline for the debate is "Trump struggles, Clinton clings to facts and figures."

The divorce of the right from reality is complete. They are no longer even hiding it.
        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          At 1:24 the Fox News headline for the debate is "Trump struggles, Clinton clings to facts and figures."
          I for one hate it when my surgeon clings to things like knowledge of the nervous and circulatory systems.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
            This.
            I have no problem being the good neighbor coming to help when the figurative barbarians are at the gate; but, we're manning the gate too many places.
            I've thought this for years, but once we stepped into that role...hard to go back without burning most, if not all, bridges.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              I've thought this for years, but once we stepped into that role...hard to go back without burning most, if not all, bridges.
              We're not doing it out of charity. We police the world because our 1% benefits from the status quo. Like every empire, we expend the lives of the lower class and the taxes of the middle class to subsidize the luxuries of the upper class.
              Cornell University

Comment

We're not doing it out of charity. We police the world because our 1% benefits from the current economic order. Like every empire, we expend the lives of the lower class and the taxes of the middle class to subsidize the luxuries of the upper class.
                I know we're not doing it out of charity. That's the problem. It's all "scratch my back" stuff, which inevitably leads to other problems.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

We're not doing it out of charity. We police the world because our 1% benefits from the status quo. Like every empire, we expend the lives of the lower class and the taxes of the middle class to subsidize the luxuries of the upper class.
                  You do remember that Rome fell to the barbarians?
                  Last edited by joecct; 09-27-2016, 02:46 AM.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I know we're not doing it out of charity. That's the problem. It's all "scratch my back" stuff, which inevitably leads to other problems.
                    "Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations - entangling alliances with none." - George Washington
                    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      As expected, 15 minutes in, Trump interrupting Hillary half the time. If you like Trump, he looks Presidential. If you hate Trump, he looks like a bully.
                      To answer the original post, who "won" last night's debate?

I did. I turned it off after about 90 seconds. It sounds like that was a good decision on my part.

I could tell it would be surreal from the outset, Clinton with that [adjective] red blouse and The Donald with that ice-blue tie. Generally, for me, his manner and her voice are each really grating. Why subject myself to so much annoyance?

From what I can tell from various recaps, Trump stumbled badly and missed many opportunities to press his case, while Clinton would have been a good insomnia cure. No "winner," certainly not the citizens of the US.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

It seems to have evolved from a decision to keep our traders safe from pirates (Jefferson sending the Navy to Tripoli). One of the best ways to keep the world a peaceful place is to get everyone invested in their own material well-being, and commerce among nations is a great way to promote that.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          From what I can tell from various recaps, Trump stumbled badly and missed many opportunities to press his case, while Clinton would have been a good insomnia cure. No "winner," certainly not the citizens of the US.
                          Nice try, but your guy lost this one, and that impression seems to be nearly universal outside of Freep and maybe under a few MRA rocks.

You can always tell when a debate has been a romp when a partisan calls it a "tie."

Trump looked worse and worse as the night went on; by the end he was a sniffling pool of gibberish. Hillary got stronger and stronger, which was only highlighted by the stark contrast with Trump's earlier attempt to insinuate health / age issues. In fact it was Trump, slumping over his podium and slurping in air from time to time, who looked old and unhealthy.

The media seem to be doing their job for once, actually calling out Trump's more ludicrous lies. Hillary handed those well, alternately smiling ("there he goes again") and attributing his lack of grasp on facts to his overall unpreparedness.

And here's the thing: she wasn't boring, she not only kept her cool but was able to play Trump like a piano. Whenever she had the tactical advantage she pummeled him with facts; whenever she felt the tone of the room was against her she distracted him with some sort of light tap knowing he would respond all out of proportion, which he did every time.

The canned line of the night was "I did prepare," and it will play with undecideds.

The gaffe of the night, aside from "fighting ISIS your entire adult life," which was just bizarre, was "that wouldn't start a war." That's as bad as Reagan's infamous thinking that we could recall ICBMs after launch.

But for me the moment of the night was when Hillary reassured our allies that we will honor our treaties. When that happened I turned to Dr. Mrs. and said, "that was her first official act as president."

I know the numbers won't budge because that's the world we live in now, but make no mistake: this was a rout. Trump made Sarah Palin look competent and knowledgeable. Sound on at a watch party (content) or sound off at a sports bar (optics), there was no contest. Hillary won the debate.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 09-27-2016, 11:22 AM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Clinton could have been perfect other than a single misplaced strand of hair and you'd still be playing this false equivalence "no winner" game.

Comment

To answer the original post, who "won" last night's debate?

I did. I turned it off after about 90 seconds. It sounds like that was a good decision on my part.

I could tell it would be surreal from the outset, Clinton with that [adjective] red blouse and The Donald with that ice-blue tie. Generally, for me, his manner and her voice are each really grating. Why subject myself to so much annoyance?

Hillary showed a masterclass in 'Woman Listening Face'."
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                You do remember that Rome fell to the barbarians?
                                So we should vote GOP to do the same for America?

Comment

Working...
                                X