Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    That strategy has its benefits and drawbacks. My worry is how often we would be giving up possession of the puck for very low percentage shots. We do need to shoot more but our tendency to not take GOOD shots when they are available is what drives me mad. A big part of it may be many of our young players being used to controlling play however they wanted. They might need to learn they can't get away with cute stuff anymore.
    My guess is we were talking open shots, not necessarily Hail Mary's . I think the fear of firing is ramped up a bit during the power play for the reason you describe. Freshmen, esp. early in the season, are surprised at what happens when they don't either take the opportunities they have immediately, whether it's making a play, a touch pass or getting the puck on net. You take a moment to find the perfect receiver or corner of the net, and it can end up going the other way in a hurry regardless of where the rebound might have gone.

Comment

I forgot to mention that we looked great on faceoffs Saturday night. I think we won about twice as many as Denver did. Hopefully this is something that can consistently be a strength.

Comment

RE: Offensive philosophy. (Too tired/lazy/on the verge of falling asleep to find the quote.)

My issue is that we're not even taking open high-percentage shots. In that Friday game against LSSU, Hirose had a wide-open chance about six feet to the right of the goaltender. He also had a wide-open fiver to shoot for. Instead of taking this shot, he passed the puck away. This instance stands out the most to me, but I'm sure I've seen other kids on our roster do similar things in the past.

It just seems like we have no pure goal-scorers, just kids who set up the the kids who take the shots. (Perhaps that explains why a good chunk of our powerplays start with endless cycling and end with turnovers.)
        Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
        66 - 86 - 07
        59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
        59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Looks like Princton is playing a road exhibition against the U18's in Plymouth on Saturday.

Interesting to see how they play tomorrow given its their first real game. Looks like they've scrimmaged Yale and Brown, but scrimmages are always different. It'd be nice to see a win, but I'm not expecting much. After what happened up at the Soo I can't say I consider us favorites against anyone.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Yeah, the Ivy teams can't begin their seasons before the last week of October. Going out on a limb and saying MSU 3-2.

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
            Looks like Princton is playing a road exhibition against the U18's in Plymouth on Saturday.

Interesting to see how they play tomorrow given its their first real game. Looks like they've scrimmaged Yale and Brown, but scrimmages are always different. It'd be nice to see a win, but I'm not expecting much. After what happened up at the Soo I can't say I consider us favorites against anyone.

Comment

Hey, Volleyball is 17-5.

Comment

Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
                Hey, Volleyball is 17-5.
                THANK YOU! Way to get this thing back on the rails

Comment

Well from reading comments from coaches it sounds like they are well aware of our missed shot opportunities and our tendency to miss the net. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a change in approach tomorrow night.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                    Well from reading comments from coaches it sounds like they are well aware of our missed shot opportunities and our tendency to miss the net. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a change in approach tomorrow night.
                    I hope so.

My prediction MSU 4-2 but I wouldn't be surprised if they lost 6-0 as well. It is hard to judge this team quite yet.
                    Last edited by gomsuman; 10-28-2016, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Power play last night looked the best it has in years in terms of keeping possession and movement. Though to be pessimistic, I'll remain skeptical until next week when we aren't facing a sub par team in their first game.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Power play last night looked the best it has in years in terms of keeping possession and movement. Though to be pessimistic, I'll remain skeptical until next week when we aren't facing a sub par team in their first game.
                        Good confidence builder for special teams and power play especially. One simple adjustment - take Appleton away from the point and free our best player to make a play down low (and he did).

Among the non-freshman defensemen I think Gatt is my favorite. A more than solid two-way performance last night ... I couldn't believe that was his first goal as a Spartan last night. Good game from Holland too.

Just watching Minney in goal last night, his best asset is positioning, laterally, but also savvy moving out to the shooter when needed. Good economy of movement. Pretty good glove too.

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                          Good confidence builder for special teams and power play especially. One simple adjustment - take Appleton away from the point and free our best player to make a play down low (and he did).

Among the non-freshman defensemen I think Gatt is my favorite. A more than solid two-way performance last night ... I couldn't believe that was his first goal as a Spartan last night. Good game from Holland too.

Just watching Minney in goal last night, his best asset is positioning, laterally, but also savvy moving out to the shooter when needed. Good economy of movement. Pretty good glove too.
                          Not sure if it was Princeton'a strategy or the scouting on Minney but they tried to go high almost every time. If it truly is a weakness, a team with accurate shooters like Minny, UM or NoDak will eat him alive. Certainly seemed like Princeton could've put up two or three more goals if they hadn't shot it over the glass trying to go topside.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Not sure if it was Princeton'a strategy or the scouting on Minney but they tried to go high almost every time. If it truly is a weakness, a team with accurate shooters like Minny, UM or NoDak will eat him alive. Certainly seemed like Princeton could've put up two or three more goals if they hadn't shot it over the glass trying to go topside.
                            Or those sharpshooters at Lake State. But I chalk it up to somewhat a lack of game experience. I see him settling in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                              I went with my dad last night who has a good eye for details. He also saw Minney for the first time last week and before last night's game he said "I wasn't sure about Minney. He leaves the top of the net wide open." Princeton definitely saw the same thing my dad did.

It doesn't matter right now. He's played well two weekends in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post

I have never been a fan of using forward's as defensemen on powerplay's. This isn't the NHL where you have Ovechkin or someone like that who can handle it. Especially this year where MSU finally seems to have 4-5 defensemen who can handle the puck pretty darn well.

I was really impressed again with the overall team speed and skill. Princeton just seemed like clearly a lesser team talent-wise. I can't remember the last time I thought that.

The one downside I saw against Princeton was that a couple guys seemed to get pushed around pretty easily (lambdin took a few good hits). Now I don't know how much of that is the fact that they are 18-19 year olds playing against 22-25 year olds but if that is the price of having a highly skilled team I'll take it in a heartbeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X