Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

It feels like we're already at some sort of tipping point. With all of the calls for Anastos getting canned last season and Hollis having to go out on a limb to defend and retain him, how do they justify that opening weekend?

The tipping point is that this next series is against Denver, who stands a likely chance of picking us up and throwing us like a football over yonder mountains. With all of the doubt about the program, could 2 horrible weekends to start this season cause the team and the fans to give up in October? That had to have been a very humbling experience up in the Soo for a group that is probably already as humble as a team can be.

occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
    I literally have no clue what you do with the kid now. He's a liability because of his lack of composure.

Seemingly every night he plays, he good for at least one penalty because of his temper.

On top of that, he's all bark and no bite. He is a terrible enforcer. Every time he gets challenged, he disintegrates like tissue paper in a rain storm.
    There's something to be said for what he endured physically early as a Spartan. Head injuries can - in many instances - change a person's zeal for "walking the walk" when it comes to being physical, let alone willingness to give up your body to make a play. Not a good combination without showing a little self control.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    I feel bad for you guys. I really do.
    I don't.
    This is a new old beginning for Michigan hockey.

Melvin K. Pearson

Quote Originally Posted by UMICH View Post
    I don't.
    As much as I have enjoyed their awfulness, I'm getting kind of tired of games that we don't win being PWR anchors. I had to take a walk after that one loss last year because I was so angry.

We've only clean swept them once in recent memory (2008-09). Hard to beat a team every single time you play them in this sport.
    WELCOME BACK HOME, COACH PEARSON!!
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners
    75 All-Americans

Wolverine Devotee of MGoBlog
    @UMichWD on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    As much as I have enjoyed their awfulness, I'm getting kind of tired of games that we don't win being PWR anchors. I had to take a walk after that one loss last year because I was so angry.

We've only clean swept them once in recent memory (2008-09). Hard to beat a team every single time you play them in this sport.
    Hey - anything we can do to act as a pwr millstone to that program, we will oblige.

You are welcome.

Article about 2017 commit F David Keefer here.

So, any predictions for this weekend? Improved? Pain?

I will not be able to attend Friday's game as I will be doing something I know will be awesome rather than potentially excruciating. I will be keeping close watch of a game fracker on my phone, though. The last time I did that, I watched LSSU go up 4-0 in a period while I watched the football team unravel directly in front of me.

I am not sure what to expect. Rough games happen but both of them?That usually means one team is not ready for the level of competition and Denver is likely much stronger than LSSU. If we can keep these games competitive I will consider them a W. I noticed that 5 of 6 defenseman Saturday were freshman. That is a recipe for disaster if i'be ever seen one.

Fri: 4-2 Denver
    Saturday: 8-2 Denver

Saturday gets away from us.

Edit: heh, game "fracker." Extracting the stats gasses from the game.
    Last edited by Pirateasaur; 10-19-2016 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post

I will not be able to attend Friday's game as I will be doing something I know will be awesome rather than potentially excruciating. I will be keeping close watch of a game fracker on my phone, though. The last time I did that, I watched LSSU go up 4-0 in a period while I watched the football team unravel directly in front of me.

I am not sure what to expect. Rough games happen but both of them?That usually means one team is not ready for the level of competition and Denver is likely much stronger than LSSU. If we can keep these games competitive I will consider them a W. I noticed that 5 of 6 defenseman Saturday were freshman. That is a recipe for disaster if i'be ever seen one.

The National Anthem will be beautiful, then it's downhill from there.

I predict there will be lots and lots of rotating red lights. I predict boos. Then booze. People who want to smoke cigarettes will not be able to. About the 3rd period, concessions will report record-low sales. As for on the ice, one or two Spartans will be shown the gate and won't dress for the next game. Some guy named Wright will get a chance to snag some rubber. The synchro team will receive the loudest cheers.

Thank goodness Ron Mason can't see all this
    "No matter where you go, there you are"

Quote Originally Posted by owslachief View Post
    The National Anthem will be beautiful, then it's downhill from there.

I predict there will be lots and lots of rotating red lights. I predict boos. Then booze. People who want to smoke cigarettes will not be able to. About the 3rd period, concessions will report record-low sales. As for on the ice, one or two Spartans will be shown the gate and won't dress for the next game. Some guy named Wright will get a chance to snag some rubber. The synchro team will receive the loudest cheers.
    I am not sure why Wright has been automatically slotted as 3rd goalie. He came from the USHL like lethemon did, right? Maybe Minnie and Lethemon had very little help last weekend but we're not going to win hardly any games if our goalie's can't break .800 save% no matter how good the team infront of them is.

Remember some of those games back in '09 when teams like Miami would just absolutely beat the hell out of us and toy with us? I worry that is what this weekend has in store except now we don't have Lerg to stop 50 shots to make the score look somewhat respectable.

Fighting for the only colors.

Friday: 5-0 DU.
    Saturday: 8-3 DU.
    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Quote Originally Posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post

True, but even when they're good (back in the stone-ages before fire was invented) I became upset after losing to them. Michigan hockey losses to sparty have always rivaled the Appy State fiasco for me.
    This is a new old beginning for Michigan hockey.

Generic Catchy Message

Busy Friday, but might try to swing by Saturday for the demolition.

5-0 DU
    6-3 DU
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7

Go State! Beat Penn State
    7-5-0 (1-3-0-0, t-6th B1G)

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Busy Friday, but might try to swing by Saturday for the demolition.
    You're about 5 1/2 years late.

Fighting for the only colors.

Well, I'm happy the weekend wasn't as terrible as I thought it'd be.

Given that Princeton doesn't start its season until they play us next weekend, I have no clue what to make of them. They look like a fairly experienced team.
    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Seeing Other People

Given that Princeton doesn't start its season until they play us next weekend, I have no clue what to make of them. They look like a fairly experienced team.
    Princeton was one of the worst teams in D-1 last year, going 5-23-3. Unless they're loaded with good new recruits, I don't see them being much better. Should be a good game for MSU.

I missed Friday but was there on Saturday. I was pretty impressed with our defensive play. I expected Denver to whip us and no such thing happened. I thought our first period was excellent. We had several good scoring chances caused quite a few Denver turnovers. I actually yelled in frustration when Khodorenko was in all alone and dropped it back where it was tipped away. We need to shoot the puck more. Too many chances are given up by trying to make an extra pass. Hirose gave up a golden opportunity at one point as well. We also miss the **** net too much. It kills me.

We did at times struggle with their speed, but not always. Our power play was mostly dreadful. Their aggressiveness on the PK threw us off constantly and resulted in a few absolutely brutal turnovers. Boy, did we struggle to get set up in their zone at times. I fear this is indicative of another season lacking in offensive prowess. Weak offensive teams have weak power plays.

Lethemon rebounded nicely after those 2 goals. I was pretty down on him at that point but I guess he showed why Anastos insists on giving him playing time.

Overall, it was a good weekend to ease concerns that we might be the worst team in D-1. I was impressed that while I felt we started to slow down a bit at times in the 3rd period Saturday, we generally did not seem too worn down by Denver's speed and altitude training. Young teams sometimes have a hard time with that. Anastos has said that this is his most well conditioned team but he said that last year, too.

Also, any good feels from sticking with Denver will be gone if we can't beat Princeton. If this team wants to have a season that even approaches respectable then we need to snag games like this one.
    Last edited by Pirateasaur; 10-23-2016 at 10:40 PM.

I missed Friday but was there on Saturday. I was pretty impressed with our defensive play. I expected Denver to whip us and no such thing happened. I thought our first period was excellent. We had several good scoring chances caused quite a few Denver turnovers. I actually yelled in frustration when Khodorenko was in all alone and dropped it back where it was tipped away. We need to shoot the puck more. Too many chances are given up by trying to make an extra pass. Hirose gave up a golden opportunity at one point as well. We also miss the **** net too much. It kills me.

We did at times struggle with their speed, but not always. Our power play was mostly dreadful. Their aggressiveness on the PK threw us off constantly and resulted in a few absolutely brutal turnovers. Boy, did we struggle to get set up in their zone at times. I fear this is indicative of another season lacking in offensive prowess. Weak offensive teams have weak power plays.

Lethemon rebounded nicely after those 2 goals. I was pretty down on him at that point but I guess he showed why Anastos insists on giving him playing time.

Overall, it was a good weekend to ease concerns that we might be the worst team in D-1. I was impressed that while I felt we started to slow down a bit at times in the 3rd period Saturday, we generally did not seem too worn down by Denver's speed and altitude training. Young teams sometimes have a hard time with that. Anastos has said that this is his most well conditioned team but he said that last year, too.
    Saturday I think represented a step up on defensive play from Friday, which was a large step up from last weekend. Looked like most of the mistakes were in neutral or offensive ice. One huge improvement to me was the play of upper-classmen on D (especially applicable to #11, who got himself embarrassingly turned the wrong way Friday when goal #1 happened). The rest is basically getting on the steep learning curve.

Definitely our goaltender play brought a smile to my face. The exception was probably the 2nd goal, which was soft. But that near point-blank save by Minney on Friday on the one-timer was sheer robbery!

I suppose any time you're asking freshmen to play a large part of the power play, that's the last thing to come online. Maybe it'll get there this year. I can't remember MSU having a power play to be proud of since Krug was here.

Now, all this feel-good stuff can easily go out the window in a hurry, as has been the case for a long time. Putting together a string of decent weekends has been rare. I would have to guess however that if State played with the same effort as they did against DU, they will have their first win this weekend.

It's almost like an apologist talking, but there is some satisfaction taken from the fact that on both nights, the boys gave themselves a chance to get to overtime against a really good team.
    Last edited by owslachief; 10-24-2016 at 12:04 PM.

Hockey fan with an MSU bias

Quote Originally Posted by owslachief View Post
    Saturday I think represented a step up on defensive play from Friday, which was a large step up from last weekend. Looked like most of the mistakes were in neutral or offensive ice. One huge improvement to me was the play of upper-classmen on D (especially applicable to #11, who got himself embarrassingly turned the wrong way Friday when goal #1 happened). The rest is basically getting on the steep learning curve.

Definitely our goaltender play brought a smile to my face. The exception was probably the 2nd goal, which was soft. But that near point-blank save by Minney on Friday on the one-timer was sheer robbery!

I suppose any time you're asking freshmen to play a large part of the power play, that's the last thing to come online. Maybe it'll get there this year. I can't remember MSU having a power play to be proud of since Krug was here.

Now, all this feel-good stuff can easily go out the window in a hurry, as has been the case for a long time. Putting together a string of decent weekends has been rare. I would have to guess however that if State played with the same effort as they did against DU, they will have their first win this weekend.

It's almost like an apologist talking, but there is some satisfaction taken from the fact that on both nights, the boys gave themselves a chance to get to overtime against a really good team.
    1. My new favorite player is Butrus Ghafari. Mainly for his awesome name but also because he seems like a guy who is not afraid to throw the body around and also seems like pretty darn good defensemen.

2. Lethemon impressed me after letting in two pretty soft goals. The second goal was quite a shot though, I mean it did go directly through the net... (when is the last time that has ever happened?)

3. I came away really impressed with the freshman. If they can gain some confidence on offense it will be a pretty darn good class.

4. SHOOT THE PUCK. I don't know if I have ever watched a hockey team that just refuses to shoot the puck unless your name is Mason Appleton. Also when we do shoot we need to actually get it on net, too many times we get good shots but just completely miss the net.
    Last edited by gomsuman; 10-24-2016 at 02:47 PM.

Thread Information