Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 754

Thread: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

  1. #21
    Seeing Other People
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    194

    Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker View Post
    It's not any fan's choice. It is U-M Hockey's decision. I just think the old stale argument that Michigan doesn't travel for road series (in lieu of asking for home series) has been disproven since the B1G was formed and allowed more nc games. What is negotiated is between the programs. If they bring BG in and travel back the following year, great. I never felt that there was a fierce rivalry even with our proximity, so pardon me for not being excited. We are glad that your program was revived, though and has flourished a bit in the WCHA. If you can tell me the difference, though, between a game with your program and Niagara or RMU, lay it on me. It doesn't have the cache' that the series with BU this season may generate, or a match-up with other top programs. That isn't a knock on BG, it is strictly from a fan perspective generating excitement at Yost. Afterall, BG has the talent and ethic to beat Michigan, seen it in the past, certainly a possibility this season. RMU did it, as did other programs, so that is not the angle about where we are compared to where your program is.

    Okay, enough of this since this is a MSU thread. Apologies to the Spartan fans here.
    Screw BG, why haven't you made a trip to Kzoo yet?

  2. #22
    Seeing Other People
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    194

    Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    Quote Originally Posted by BGFan View Post
    Looks like BGSU will be playing you guys next year in a home and home. Good to see MSU finally agreeing to this as opposed to a 2 for 1. Now if only UM and ND would see the light.
    I agree. Credit to MSU, they've been willing to play home and homes with local programs. Unlike UM, though they are making the trip to Ferris this year.

  3. #23
    Seeing Other People
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    194

    Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker View Post
    I never felt that there was a fierce rivalry even with our proximity
    Quite the snobby remark.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Bowling Green, Ohio
    Posts
    763

    Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
    I agree. Credit to MSU, they've been willing to play home and homes with local programs. Unlike UM, though they are making the trip to Ferris this year.
    My guess is that Ferris took a 2 for 1 deal with them. BG won't do that.

  5. #25
    Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    SE Mi, USA
    Posts
    6,625

    Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
    Quite the snobby remark.
    Stop trolling, turd.

  6. #26
    Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    SE Mi, USA
    Posts
    6,625

    Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    Quote Originally Posted by BGFan View Post
    My guess is that Ferris took a 2 for 1 deal with them. BG won't do that.
    Not true. Michigan has alternated one game series with FSU the last three seasons. @FSU 2014, Ferris 2015, @ Ferris 2016. They have also alternated two game series with Tech.

  7. #27
    Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    SE Mi, USA
    Posts
    6,625

    Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
    Screw BG, why haven't you made a trip to Kzoo yet?
    Losing at Comerica was too hard on Berenson I guess.

  8. #28
    Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    SE Mi, USA
    Posts
    6,625

    Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
    I agree. Credit to MSU, they've been willing to play home and homes with local programs. Unlike UM, though they are making the trip to Ferris this year.
    Sour much? How's the NCHC treating you?

  9. #29
    Coach Emeritus
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Enjoying the arrival of the Broadmoor Trophy in 2017
    Posts
    2,558

    Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker View Post
    Not true. Michigan has alternated one game series with FSU the last three seasons. @FSU 2014, Ferris 2015, @ Ferris 2016. They have also alternated two game series with Tech.
    Nope. The Tech series is a 2 for 1, the return is this season. '13 at Yost, '14 in Houghton, '16 at Yost.

  10. #30
    Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    SE Mi, USA
    Posts
    6,625

    Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    Nope. The Tech series is a 2 for 1, the return is this season. '13 at Yost, '14 in Houghton, '16 at Yost.
    Michigan played two in Houghton two seasons ago. What they do moving forward after the 2 games this season at Yost, I am not aware of yet.

  11. #31
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    6,421

    Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    I could stick around for a bit if Logan Lambdin (#71) can work with Patrick Khoderenko (#55) like that (beauteous goal) or Haag can play with that kind of fire. Not bad for just one coach's practice overall.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by owslachief View Post
    I could stick around for a bit if Logan Lambdin (#71) can work with Patrick Khoderenko (#55) like that (beauteous goal) or Haag can play with that kind of fire. Not bad for just one coach's practice overall.
    That was a very nice goal. Appleton's was pretty sweet as well.

    We didn't win, but we certainly should have. I was pleased with most aspects of our play and disappointed in others. I worry that we saw some indications of problems that have plagued us for years, namely lack of Powerplay productivity and lack of scoring touch. We tied this game because we couldn't bury our chances. I know that happens in hockey but after witnessing this problem for years, I will be convinced it isn't an issue when it's no longer consistently an issue. Also, I do not know the stats on faceoffs but it did feel like we lost quite a few.

    On the other hand, we possessed the puck a lot tonight and passed fairly well, besides some expected sloppiness. We looked solid on defense and limited Toronto to very few scoring chances.They are quite lucky they scored at all, let alone 2.

    I thought Appleton and Haag both looked to play with a fair bit of speed and fire. Let's hope that keeps up. I thought some of the freshman showed pretty well so maybe we've got some pieces to work with.

    With that all being said, I would wager that Toronto is the worst team we'll see this year by a fair margin. As a result, I could not accurately peg how we looked in comparison to previous seasons. I do think we looked a little better than I expected but I'm not sure that will get it done when Denver comes to town in a few weeks.
    Last edited by Pirateasaur; 10-02-2016 at 08:55 PM.

  13. #33
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    6,262

    Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    Do we have three jersey sets now, or did we literally wear practice jerseys today?

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Do we have three jersey sets now, or did we literally wear practice jerseys today?
    i was wondering that as well. I think they were practice jerseys. I hope they were practice jerseys.

    Edit: oh, we do have 3. The normal Spartan head ones, the delicious script throwbacks and new alts that were announced a few weeks back. Tonight's jerseys looked like practice ones unless we changed out Spartan head uniform design. I'd be fine with that since I never liked those.
    Last edited by Pirateasaur; 10-02-2016 at 09:39 PM.

  15. #35
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    6,421

    Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    That was a very nice goal. Appleton's was pretty sweet as well.

    We didn't win, but we certainly should have. I was pleased with most aspects of our play and disappointed in others. I worry that we saw some indications of problems that have plagued us for years, namely lack of Powerplay productivity and lack of scoring touch. We tied this game because we couldn't bury our chances. I know that happens in hockey but after witnessing this problem for years, I will be convinced it isn't an issue when it's no longer consistently an issue. Also, I do not know the stats on faceoffs but it did feel like we lost quite a few.

    On the other hand, we possessed the puck a lot tonight and passed fairly well, besides some expected sloppiness. We looked solid on defense and limited Toronto to very few scoring chances.They are quite lucky they scored at all, let alone 2.

    I thought Appleton and Haag both looked to play with a fair bit of speed and fire. Let's hope that keeps up. I thought some of the freshman showed pretty well so maybe we've got some pieces to work with.

    With that all being said, I would wager that Toronto is the worst team we'll see this year by a fair margin. As a result, I could not accurately peg how we looked in comparison to previous seasons. I do think we looked a little better than I expected but I'm not sure that will get it done when Denver comes to town in a few weeks.
    The power play wasn't necessarily concerning, given that TA sent out for the top unit 3 freshmen up front (Hirose, Khoderenko - who took a lot of draws - and Lambdin). Appleton at the right point looked somewhat uncomfortable but that was the only place it seemed he wasn't in top form.

    Overall I think MSU ended up winning more faceoffs than lost.

    And you are correct, that was quite a bad CIS team MSU played. Give us UWO and Minney and Lethemon would have faced more than a dozen shots.
    Last edited by owslachief; 10-02-2016 at 10:40 PM.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Less than 10 minutes from Yost...
    Posts
    1,563

    Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    Gotta say that I'm impressed with how you guys are dealing with the reality of your program. Much better than the football fans who still can't accept the FACT that Rich Clod coaching at Michigan for three years helped sparty get in-state talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7

  17. #37
    Seeing Other People
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    194

    Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker View Post
    Stop trolling, turd.
    There's no trolling involved. My intentions are quite clear.

  18. #38
    Seeing Other People
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    194

    Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker View Post
    Sour much? How's the NCHC treating you?
    You mean my multi-bid league? Just great, thanks for asking.

    Will you guys play defense this year? Or is this just same ol scUM hockey--all flash, no substance? I have to admit, thought, that's quite the country club Red has built in Ann Arbor. I don't know how he does it.

  19. #39
    Seeing Other People
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    194

    Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker View Post
    Michigan played two in Houghton two seasons ago. What they do moving forward after the 2 games this season at Yost, I am not aware of yet.
    Make no bones about it, UM is not making another trip to Houghton. That was simply a big favor to an old friend. Red would rather host Robert Morris or travel to Dartmouth than make trips to the UP.

  20. #40
    Fighting for the only colors.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Mich.
    Posts
    1,629

    Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    i was wondering that as well. I think they were practice jerseys. I hope they were practice jerseys.

    Edit: oh, we do have 3. The normal Spartan head ones, the delicious script throwbacks and new alts that were announced a few weeks back. Tonight's jerseys looked like practice ones unless we changed out Spartan head uniform design. I'd be fine with that since I never liked those.
    I think those were our new third sweaters, actually. The program posted some hideous new home jerseys on Twitter not too long ago with "SPARTANS" and a number on the front.

    It would be worth questioning the AD again if we replaced our great script jerseys with those.
    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

    Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •