Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
    Also congrats to Jared Rosburg who was named the BIG Ten First Star of the week with 2 goals (technically 3, OT winner didn't actually count) and 1 assist on the weekend!

Makes me wonder if he would have made a difference last year or if it was almost a blessing in disguise that he is a freshman this year. This group should be darn good in 4 years.
    Is this optimism that I see? Can't be!
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
      Also congrats to Jared Rosburg who was named the BIG Ten First Star of the week with 2 goals (technically 3, OT winner didn't actually count) and 1 assist on the weekend!

Makes me wonder if he would have made a difference last year or if it was almost a blessing in disguise that he is a freshman this year.
      This group should be darn good in 3 years.
      Hey - that would be another contract extension year!

Comment

• Originally posted by UMICH View Post
        Is this optimism that I see? Can't be!
        Heh, I still think we're poised for no higher than 5th in the B1G. It's an odd crossroads because I do think this may end up being a pretty good team as soon as next season. Obviously credit would go to Anastos.

At the same time, I fear merely flashing potential could buy Anastos more time than he deserves. We were burned by this a couple years ago. The last 2 recruiting classes are quite good but he needs to follow that up with solid recruiting every season or we'll drop like a sack of potatoes again when when this big freshman class
        leaves.
        I'm not buying nearly yet. We'll talk in february. Struggling in league play like last season with a much older team in a much ****tier B1G will make me less forgiving.
        Last edited by Pirateasaur; 11-30-2016, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
          Heh, I still think we're poised for no higher than 5th in the B1G. It's an odd crossroads because I do think this may end up being a pretty good team as soon as next season. Obviously credit would go to Anastos.

At the same time, I fear merely flashing potential could buy Anastos more time than he deserves. We were burned by this a couple years ago. The last 2 recruiting classes are quite good but he needs to follow that up with solid recruiting every season or we'll drop like a sack of potatoes again when when this big freshman class
          leaves.
          I'm not buying nearly yet. We'll talk in february. Struggling in league play like last season with a much older team in a much ****tier B1G will make me less forgiving.
          I'm in no place to comment. Even though B1G play has not begun yet (well it does tonight for Michigan/Penn State) Michigan has the 5th place non-conference record, ahead of only, you guessed it. YOU. We both suck. I'm fully expecting to get swept this Thursday/Friday in slappy valley.
          Originally posted by alfablue
          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
            I'm in no place to comment. Even though B1G play has not begun yet (well it does tonight for Michigan/Penn State) Michigan has the 5th place non-conference record, ahead of only, you guessed it. YOU. We both suck. I'm fully expecting to get swept this Thursday/Friday in slappy valley.
            I see you guys get to play on ESPNU tonight. Will be interesting to see how the BIG teams in play this weekend stack up against each other.

Comment

Hey, Lets get this thread back on track: Volleyball beat Fairfield 3-0 in the NCAA first round last night!
              They play Arizona tonight. Need to support the tall girls!

Comment

Well, back to Munn for a spin with the U-18's. The game doesn't count except for maybe psychologically. A young team that is probably finding confidence doesn't need a loss to a bunch of high school kids.

We haven't had an easy time against the development team in years but I think we hold strong today. 3-2 MSU

We can also get a peek at MSU signee, defensemen Tommy Miller.

Comment

2016 strikes MSU athletics again. Zeke died yesterday and volleyball was upset at home against Zona.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Well, we certainly made them look like a team of high school kids. That 2nd period looked at times like MSU was just toying with them. The US team at one point in the 2nd period went 17 minutes without registering a shot.

I am always impressed with the skating and skill of the US team which is why it was satisfying to watch MSU beat them all over the ice.

Also, holy nuts they had a kid who was 5'3" 138 lbs. Gotta be the smallest I've ever seen at this level by far.

Comment

Well, we certainly made them look like a team of high school kids. That 2nd period looked at times like MSU was just toying with them. The US team at one point in the 2nd period went 17 minutes without registering a shot.

I am always impressed with the skating and skill of the US team which is why it was satisfying to watch MSU beat them all over the ice.

Also, holy nuts they had a kid who was 5'3" 138 lbs. Gotta be the smallest I've ever seen at this level by far.
                      The rest of December had better be good. Volleyball is done

Comment

I am curious, now that Matt Miller has joined USNTDP U-18, were there any impressions of how well either of the Millers played yesterday (assuming they were both skating)?

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                          I am curious, now that Matt Miller has joined USNTDP U-18, were there any impressions of how well either of the Millers played yesterday (assuming they were both skating)?
                          Both Millers are committed to us? I did not know that. If I did, I would have kept an eye on Matt. I did notice him at times but didn't think about it. I didn't get too much of a look at Tommy Miller because I tend to get distracted by the actual game but from what I did see he skates well, handles the puck well and has good size. He did not flash necessarily, but I feel like he is more the "responsible, positional d-man" type, which is an important role. He had a couple turnovers deep in their end when under heavy pressure but there was a lot of that going on for the US team. He also had a penalty I did not see.

I wish I noticed Matt Miller was a recruit. The game "program" should have mentioned it like it did with T. Miller

Comment

Both Millers are committed to us? I did not know that. If I did, I would have kept an eye on Matt. I did notice him at times but didn't think about it. I didn't get too much of a look at Tommy Miller because I tend to get distracted by the actual game but from what I did see he skates well, handles the puck well and has good size. He did not flash necessarily, but I feel like he is more the "responsible, positional d-man" type, which is an important role. He had a couple turnovers deep in their end when under heavy pressure but there was a lot of that going on for the US team. He also had a penalty I did not see.

I wish I noticed Matt Miller was a recruit. The game "program" should have mentioned it like it did with T. Miller
                            Matt Miller has been in the Victory Honda program. Happened to notice the move up this morning while catching up on some juniors results over the weekend. State News (bleah) did an article on them both over the weekend.

I get the same feeling about Tommy Miller that you do. He's not a scorer or playmaker but will clean up well and not get "owned" on the defensive end. Good size. I have not seen Matt Miller yet.
                            Last edited by owslachief; 12-05-2016, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Comment

Talk about getting shut down! 14 total shots and only six for the 2nd and 3rd periods combined.
                                Without Minny, it was a 5 or 6 goal game for the Gophers. tCHHCoMSU's most talented team eh? If this is his idea of talent...........And please don't give me any of that "It's a young Team" stuff. Other programs also have "Young Teams" and they don't seem to struggle like this. He's had 5+ seasons to get this program on the right track, and it clearly isn't. This Coach is in way over his head. If they don't win GLI, Off with his Head!

Comment

Working...
                                X