Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Two weeks tomorrow and no news yet on assistants. Maybe it's too much to follow his words literally when he said it in a general sense, but after the way the last regime followed timelines I'd like the new one to be in the ballpark.
    Maybe interviews. And then contract negations not just with MSU, but with the institutions they maybe leaving. Could be many stumbling blocks to overcome. And it's not even May yet. Now, if it goes into June, then I'd be worried. It will come.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      A lot of content to enjoy. Coaching really seems to be in Cole's career wheelhouse.

I am going to be amped for next season all summer. Last year It was within
      a few days of the exhibition that I started thinking about hockey. It feels
      good to know a fresh start is here.

I hope we can get some more technical details about systems Cole intends to install. Hockey news gets sparse in the summer, though.

Comment

• Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

I expect that Danton is talking to people at AHCA. Also, that Q&A with him is very, very Danton. If you like what you read, you'll like what you're getting. I'm pretty sure that MSU will become my #2.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Looks like we're trying this again:

Unrelated: I'm surprised I haven't heard any snide remarks about my bedding. (Well, yet.)
          Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
          66 - 86 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
            I expect that Danton is talking to people at AHCA. Also, that Q&A with him is very, very Danton. If you like what you read, you'll like what you're getting. I'm pretty sure that MSU will become my #2.

GFM
            How is his relationship with UAH? I wouldn't mind seeing UAH on the schedule, and as a prior coach I'm sure he wouldn't mind going down to Huntsville for a weekend.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              How is his relationship with UAH? I wouldn't mind seeing UAH on the schedule, and as a prior coach I'm sure he wouldn't mind going down to Huntsville for a weekend.
              He left on good terms, but the entire administration has turned over since he left. That said, we'd certainly welcome MSU to our building.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                Looks like we're trying this again:

Unrelated: I'm surprised I haven't heard any snide remarks about my bedding. (Well, yet.)
                Sweet. I need to sink some $eriou$ into something big this year. Maybe I can get a 30' pane of glass in my name.

Comment

One interesting thing in the mailer from Spartan Fund - the original Munn renovation plan seems to have been resurrected.

The rendering on the mailer shows that Breslin is west of the expansion. That means this new construction would be on the Munn Field/south side of the arena, which is opposite of the current locker room location. That lines up with the plan to "flip" the building. In that plan, the home locker room and bench would also move to the south side of the building. That would also mean the penalty box is moving along with it, and the visiting/assignable locker rooms would all be relocated to the north side. That also would mean a change to the club seat/suite level layout - the existing press box would be cleared to allow for the club to be expanded (since this is a much more popular option than buying a suite), and the center four suites on the north side would be repurposed as the new press area. That also would require the re-cabling of most of the arena and a new camera platform on the north side as well.

There were a few prior proposals for locker room renovation before, but they always hit a roadblock thanks to the massive amounts of concrete underneath the arena that made it cost prohibitive and structurally unsound to complete the work in those areas. That, along with the desire to "show off" the new areas made it more feasible to put expansions on ground level above where the locker room proper would be. And with the pine stand on the north, it was much easier to expand on the Munn Field side.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                    One interesting thing in the mailer from Spartan Fund - the original Munn renovation plan seems to have been resurrected.

The rendering on the mailer shows that Breslin is west of the expansion. That means this new construction would be on the Munn Field/south side of the arena, which is opposite of the current locker room location. That lines up with the plan to "flip" the building. In that plan, the home locker room and bench would also move to the south side of the building. That would also mean the penalty box is moving along with it, and the visiting/assignable locker rooms would all be relocated to the north side. That also would mean a change to the club seat/suite level layout - the existing press box would be cleared to allow for the club to be expanded (since this is a much more popular option than buying a suite), and the center four suites on the north side would be repurposed as the new press area. That also would require the re-cabling of most of the arena and a new camera platform on the north side as well.

There were a few prior proposals for locker room renovation before, but they always hit a roadblock thanks to the massive amounts of concrete underneath the arena that made it cost prohibitive and structurally unsound to complete the work in those areas. That, along with the desire to "show off" the new areas made it more feasible to put expansions on ground level above where the locker room proper would be. And with the pine stand on the north, it was much easier to expand on the Munn Field side.
                    I believe I read at one time that the pine stand was on a Native American mound and therefore would not be disturbed...if I am remembering correctly that could explain why expansion to the north isn't possible.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                      I believe I read at one time that the pine stand was on a Native American mound and therefore would not be disturbed...if I am remembering correctly that could explain why expansion to the north isn't possible.
                      Believe it or not, it's actually a dune and is therefore protected. When you walk through there and kick at the ground a little, the sand is evident very quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                        Believe it or not, it's actually a dune and is therefore protected. When you walk through there and kick at the ground a little, the sand is evident very quickly.
                        Sometimes it feels like Munn is built on a cursed Native American burial mound.

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                          It seems like he could have an answer for any coaching related question you could possibly think

It's good to hear UAH feels so positive about his time there. I think many MSU fans were hoping for a flashier hire but I am feeling pretty good about Cole.

Comment

Hi Geoff, first Mel now Tech dropped to your number 3, this has been a hell of a week.

Comment

Assistant coaching position on MSU's website closes tomorrow. Looks like Cole's made his decision.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                                Hi Geoff, first Mel now Tech dropped to your number 3, this has been a hell of a week.
                                It's always been hard rooting for a team in-conference. This makes it easier.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X