Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Another season in the books. Another Big Ten Tournament without a win. A season in which we couldn't even get more wins than sweaters worn. And, if Anastos stays, another season where I get tickets from third party sites rather than give MSU money for this awful product.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

And it's over.
      Will one season of discontent, lead into a off season of discontent, or will there be a new head coach?

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
        Another season in the books. Another Big Ten Tournament without a win. A season in which we couldn't even get more wins than sweaters worn. And, if Anastos stays, another season where I get tickets from third party sites rather than give MSU money for this awful product.
        It's great to be a MSUFCU member. That kind of give-away is nice.

Comment

The glory days of MSU hockey now seem to be a lifetime ago, probably because for some of the recruits, it's been a lifetime. Munn sold out night after night, year after year, the Spartans a perennial tournament team... all that is a distant memory...
          Mongo only pawn in game of life.

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. - GH 1943-2001

The management thanks you for your time and please, shop here again.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            My guess is that your wish will be granted.
            I love your optimism.
            Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
            66 - 86 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Well, at least MSU hockey can't hurt us for another seven months.

Hopefully, given that Hollis has chained this guy to our program like a boat anchor, year seven of the Anastos experiment goes a hell of a lot better than year six.
              Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
              66 - 86 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

• Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post

Hopefully, given that Hollis has chained this guy to our program like a boat anchor, year seven of the Anastos experiment goes a hell of a lot better than year six.
                A year ago I thought there was a good chance Anastos was done. He had to be, right? So it's strange after that that we could have an even worse season and I would instead be convinced he isn't going anywhere. Maybe it's because I have lost absolutely all faith in Hollis.

Comment

• Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post

As for next season, I think we could have a decent year, Anastos or no. It would help if Appleton sticks around but one of the tv guys mentioned Osburn possibly leaving? That would be a disaster. His mobility and offensive flair is sorely needed on our blue line.

If everyone returns, we will have a more experienced and capable D-core and players like Hirose, Khodorenko, Lambdin and Saliba could all have great careers here. I suspect Gatt will be a rock on the blue line as well.

I won't ramble on about next year yet. We'll see what Hollis announces regarding coaching but I have a feeling it will include confidence in our direction, honoring Comley commits and PSU being lucky to be able to start at square one.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                    As for next season, I think we could have a decent year, Anastos or no. It would help if Appleton sticks around but one of the tv guys mentioned Osburn possibly leaving? That would be a disaster. His mobility and offensive flair is sorely needed on our blue line.

If everyone returns, we will have a more experienced and capable D-core and players like Hirose, Khodorenko, Lambdin and Saliba could all have great careers here. I suspect Gatt will be a rock on the blue line as well.

I won't ramble on about next year yet. We'll see what Hollis announces regarding coaching but I have a feeling it will include confidence in our direction, honoring Comley commits and PSU being lucky to be able to start at square one.
                    The seniors leave with 0 regular season CCHA or Big Ten championships, 0 CCHA or Big Ten playoff championships, 0 GLI championships, 0 NCAA tournament appearances, but 1 Iron D trophy. Is this rock bottom for the program? I am not optimistic for next year with Appleton and Osburn possibly leaving (they both looked very frustrated yesterday). Goaltending looks below average, scoring will probably still be a problem, and worst of all Anastos and his coaching team may be back. We could finish 7th next year.

Comment

Although Osburn wouldn't have the impact that Krug has had at the NHL level, he skates well enough and cleans up on the defensive end to play as a pro right now. Given the right system he can be successful. But you are right - I don't know who could possibly take his spot as a puck mover right now were he to go.

But 8 seniors leaving - 6 of whom were contributors - is nothing to take lightly. I always obsessed it seems with Holland's play. But he hit his stride during the last couple of months, and I'm ready to eat some crow about him. Those will be some big shoes to fill. Haag closed out well too.

Comment

• Originally posted by spartyon58 View Post
                        The seniors leave with 0 regular season CCHA or Big Ten championships, 0 CCHA or Big Ten playoff championships, 0 GLI championships, 0 NCAA tournament appearances, but 1 Iron D trophy. Is this rock bottom for the program? I am not optimistic for next year with Appleton and Osburn possibly leaving (they both looked very frustrated yesterday). Goaltending looks below average, scoring will probably still be a problem, and worst of all Anastos and his coaching team may be back. We could finish 7th next year.
                        To add another: the seniors leave with 0 postseason wins. 0-4 in the Big Ten Tourbament.
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I really can not fathom how Hollis would justify bringing Anastos back for another year.

Funny how after the North Dakota series I was thinking we had finally turned the corner... My goodness the team went downhill after that.

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                            Although Osburn wouldn't have the impact that Krug has had at the NHL level, he skates well enough and cleans up on the defensive end to play as a pro right now. Given the right system he can be successful. But you are right - I don't know who could possibly take his spot as a puck mover right now were he to go.

But 8 seniors leaving - 6 of whom were contributors - is nothing to take lightly. I always obsessed it seems with Holland's play. But he hit his stride during the last couple of months, and I'm ready to eat some crow about him. Those will be some big shoes to fill. Haag closed out well too.
                            I'm a little worried about the departures as well. Sure, we return some good sophomores but there will be very few seniors/juniors especially if Appleton and osburn leave. I'm not sure what the freshman will look like but matching the effectiveness of Cox, Ebbing, Haag etc as freshmen may be tough to pull off.

Next year will be very, very sophomore/freshman heavy. Moreso than I previously thought before this discussion.

Comment

That must be pure speculation. Probably due to the U-18 connection. I'm also not quite sure Cole has the resume to be seriously considered for that position. Has Red even announced his retirement yet?
                              Red was going to retire a year ago, but stayed on for the sake of the new AD. And while he's being coy about the whole thing, I just don't see him sticking around- he was quoted as telling recruits that he's not likely going to be their coach. Thus the increased talk in the last week or so.

Which bring me to why I'm here. It seems as if you guys are missing some key donors that support hockey. I'm not sure how else to read the program's support for such a bad coach as the commish has turned out to be. Very confusing.

While it's great that we still have competitive games (more about us sucking like you this year), I also know it's better for hockey that you are a strong program.

Anyway, it will be an interesting off season now that we are both done.

Comment

I'm amazed you guys want Hollis fired. That entire athletic department is a mess. Outside of baseball and the men's and women's basketball teams, every team there is bad to horrendous.

Maybe the recent stuff will inspire people to call for his head.

I mean, he's running a good ol boy network over there. Any sane AD in the country would not make that hockey hire, and if they did, they'd end it after year 3.

I'm enjoying it as a Michigan fan but I'm just really confused there is no outcry against him by MSU fans.
                                ---
                                National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                                Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                                19 Conference Championships
                                10 Conference Tournament Championships
                                2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X