Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers 2016-17

Shades of past glory .

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
      Shades of past glory .
      Congrats! Enjoy it...

Is this the worst MSU team in school history? What an egg, embarassing for a school so steeped in hockey history with the resources of a Big 14 school to just lay eggs on a consistent basis. The Lakers aren't mince meat but they're not exactly world beaters either.

Props to LSSU.
      CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
        Congrats! Enjoy it...

Is this the worst MSU team in school history? What an egg, embarassing for a school so steeped in hockey history with the resources of a Big 14 school to just lay eggs on a consistent basis. The Lakers aren't mince meat but they're not exactly world beaters either.

Props to LSSU.
        I was very surprised Michigan State didn't fire Anastos after last season. I think they are going to regret not firing him.

As for the Lakers, great game and great atmosphere inside Abel Arena tonight. Great to see three freshmen get their first collegiate goals right out of the gate and for the power-play to be as successful as it was.
        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
          I was very surprised Michigan State didn't fire Anastos after last season. I think they are going to regret not firing him.

As for the Lakers, great game and great atmosphere inside Abel Arena tonight. Great to see three freshmen get their first collegiate goals right out of the gate and for the power-play to be as successful as it was.
          Hockey doesn't rank high enough on Brian Hollis' priority list to justify paying two head coaching salaries. IIRC, they just reupped TA after last season. Talk about doubling down...

MSU is a disgrace. It's really important for the downstate Big 14 teams to make somewhat annual trips to the UP. Every other year, MSU and UM should take a trip to the UP. Every two years really isn't that bad. In fact, it would do UM and that country club atmosphere Red created there a lot of good. Those blue chippers can use the humbling.
          CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
            Hockey doesn't rank high enough on Brian Hollis' priority list to justify paying two head coaching salaries. IIRC, they just reupped TA after last season. Talk about doubling down...

MSU is a disgrace. It's really important for the downstate Big 14 teams to make somewhat annual trips to the UP. Every other year, MSU and UM should take a trip to the UP. Every two years really isn't that bad. In fact, it would do UM and that country club atmosphere Red created there a lot of good. Those blue chippers can use the humbling.
            I see the problem - it's Brian Hollis. I've been misspelling his first name for several months now. Is there anything going on upstairs with you or are things just sort of rattling around with you?

Comment

I really like the throwback jerseys the Lakers are wearing this weekend. A nice way to honor the earliest teams on the 50th anniversary celebration. I also love the new "Wall of Champions" at the north end of the the arena.
              LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

What a game, man. Lake Superior State's offense intended to make a statement after ranking 10th in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association in scoring last season.

The Lakers came through loud and clear with Friday's 6-1 non-conference victory over Michigan State in front of a Great Lake State Weekend crowd of nearly 2,800 fans. The Lakers enjoyed their best offensive production since edging Union 6-5 in overtime on Oct. 18, 2013.

LSSU (1-0) broke open a 1-1 game with five unanswered goals, including three in the third period. Six different players scored goals for the Lakers, and sophomore defenseman Owen Headrick led LSSU in points with one goal and three assists. Brayden Gelsinger (1-2—3), Mitch Hults (0-3—3) and Kris Bindulis (1-1—2) all had a multiple-point game.

LSSU goaltender Gordie Defiel played nearly 55 scoreless minutes after giving up a goal early in the first period. He finished with 19 saves, including only three in the second period. The Lakers out-shot Michigan State, 34-20.

Gage Torrel gave LSSU a 1-0 lead with an even-strength goal at 2:43 of the opening period, and MSU's Villiam Haag tied it, 1-1, with a power-play goal at 5:21. LSSU's J.T. Henke regained the Lakers' one-goal lead with an even-strength goal at 18:43 of the first period.

Laker Max Humitz scored a power-play goal at 13:45 of the second period, enabling the Lakers to carry a 3-1 lead into the third.

During the final period, Gelsinger made it 4-1 with a power-play goal at 3:43, and Bindulis followed with a 5-on-5 goal at 5:37. Headrick finished off the scoring with a power-play goal at 9:35.

The Lakers were 3-for-11 with the man advantage, while MSU was 1-for-6.

LSSU and MSU meet in Game 2 of the series at 6:07 p.m. Saturday at Taffy Abel Arena. MSU's Rhett Holland received a game disqualification in the third period and will not be eligible to play Saturday.

During first intermission Saturday, LSSU will recognize its LSSU Athletic Hall of Fame 2016 inductees: Kris Dunbar, Randy Sieler, Bruce Hoffort and the 1975-76 LSSU men's basketball team.

Ringy Dingy!

Comment

I have to say that that was one of the best Laker teams to watch in years. Yes, there were still mistakes and they will learn from those, but the fire they seemed to have was great. Shooting at the net every chance, finishing checks and getting to the puck were MUCH better than in years past. This team will continue to improve and I hope we see the excitement grow. It was also the best student crowd I have ever seen, they were loud and having fun. Nice to have that "7th man". Great idea moving the student section.
                  Hope we have the same type of game tonight!

Comment

I would like to see this Lakers team play without all the ticke tack calls from the officials. Neither team should be happy with way the game was called. The Lakers did survive though and the special teams got a ton of experience going forward.
                    BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                      I would like to see this Lakers team play without all the ticke tack calls from the officials. Neither team should be happy with way the game was called. The Lakers did survive though and the special teams got a ton of experience going forward.
                      Just wait until December.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

This isn't my first rodeo.
                        BLEED BLUE

Comment

Great job Lakers on the weekend sweep also kudos to the student section on bringing the noise.
                          BLEED BLUE

Comment

Great way to start the season, my brother was in the Soo and attended both games, said there was a great atmosphere in Taffy. I know Michigan State isn't supposed to be very good by their standards so I caution against running too wild with expectations based on this but still, any time you can beat a Big Ten school of 47,000 kids with comparatively endless means compared to our program's it is something to be proud of, and it's been quite a while since the Lakers put up 13 goals in a weekend. Great job Lakers, hope to see you build on this going forward!

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
                              Great way to start the season, my brother was in the Soo and attended both games, said there was a great atmosphere in Taffy. I know Michigan State isn't supposed to be very good by their standards so I caution against running too wild with expectations based on this but still, any time you can beat a Big Ten school of 47,000 kids with comparatively endless means compared to our program's it is something to be proud of, and it's been quite a while since the Lakers put up 13 goals in a weekend. Great job Lakers, hope to see you build on this going forward!
                              Someone made the same comment to me after the game. I.e. It's been a long time since the Lakers scored 13 goals on a weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                                Someone made the same comment to me after the game. I.e. It's been a long time since the Lakers scored 13 goals on a weekend.
                                From the LSSU post-game press release: Last 7 goal game: 1/2/09 vs Robert Morris. Last 12 goal or better series: 11/4-5/2005 vs WMU (10-0 and 3-1).
                                Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Working...
                                X