LSSU Lakers 2016-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
    Power rankings are the key to getting into the nationals and there Lake State is ranked third and MI. Tech ranked 40th. It is a long season and you need to keep winning or this early success will become just a memory .
    Way to early in the season to put any value in the PairWise Rankings

Comment

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2016-17

*******http://i.imgur.com/2GoTaBz.jpg********

LSSU is auctioning off the vintage Soo Lakers jerseys on Saturday. I prefer the anchor on the crest, but these are still pretty cool. Wouldn't mind picking one up.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerBaker
        This entire subject has been addressed by Coach Whitten, AD Dunbar, and the NCAA, as Bill laid out ever so eloquently, man.
        Thanks to you and Bill both for addressing. I haven't seen anything in the paper or anything, which is why I posted here. Seems like an interesting precedent the NCAA is setting here.
        Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
          Thanks to you and Bill both for addressing. I haven't seen anything in the paper or anything, which is why I posted here. Seems like an interesting precedent the NCAA is setting here.
          I hope they're setting a precedent. The complete ban, or long-term suspensions for a few games in the Canadian leagues has always been ridiculously harsh. Too much of this has been about protecting "our" leagues (And obviously, the Canadians do it, too, with things like their idiotic AHL rule) and not about what's fair for the kids. I think the NCAA has acted sensibly with Gelsinger.

Comment

• Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
            Thanks, man. Methinks Damon Whitten is way ahead of the curve and setting quite the precedent with a CHL player being able to play college hockey in the states.

Comment

Another great article on the good ship Laker, and how third year head coach Damon Whitten is leading them back to prominence, after floundering for almost 10 years under the previous coach.

http://www.uscho.com/2016/10/26/dept...state-offense/

Hockey coaches want their teams to score.

This seems like a statement as obvious as “I want a million dollars” or “I want some chocolate cake.”

Of course coaches want their teams to score more goals.

But sometimes, when a team isn’t scoring — or is playing a certain defensive style — the outside perception is that coaches would just as soon not score any goals and leave it up to the defense.

Take, for example, Lake Superior State. For each of the past two seasons the Lakers have averaged under two goals per game — 1.80 and 1.58 in 2015-16 and 2014-15, respectively. In each instance, those numbers were good enough for second-to-last nationally.

It perhaps wasn’t a coincidence that the Lakers have struggled since then.

Obviously, that isn’t the goal.

“Our lack of offense wasn’t by design,” LSSU coach Damon Whitten said. “We didn’t come in here to build a team that is low scoring and try to win 1-0, 2-1. We were trying to build a team that could be high-end offensively, with the goal being top 10 offensively and defensively.”

Early in the season, those plans seem to be coming to fruition. The Lakers are currently 4-0-0 after sweeping both Michigan State and Alabama-Huntsville and currently lead the country with a six goals-per-game average.

And although Whitten knows it’s still early, it’s a big step for a team that has struggled to put the puck in the back of the net in recent seasons.

“I can’t tell you that I thought (the offense) would come this early on and I know it’s not sustainable to score at that level all season, but we have better depth,” Whitten said of this year’s Lakers. “We have better speed and better skill throughout our lineup. Right now, pucks are going in.”

With just one senior (Gus Correale) and one junior (JT Henke, one of four players with seven points) in the forward rotation, the young Lakers have, so far, lit the lamp 24 times this season. The scorelines thus far have read: 6-1, 7-3, 6-3 and 5-2.

Last season, the Lakers never scored more than four goals in any single game.

Five different players (Henke, sophomores Gage Torrel, Diego Cuglietta and Anthony Nelis and freshman Brayden Gelsinger) have three goals already, while Owen Headrick has a goal and six assists. Aside from Henke and Correale, all of LSSU’s forwards are either sophomores or freshmen.

“We’re very young,” Whitten said. “That sophomore class played huge minutes for us last year as freshmen and that was one of the challenges for us last year. We were relying on young kids to generate offense for us, and that made it tough, but it’s paying dividends now.”

The Lakers already have an outstanding goaltender (Gordon Defiel) who is only a junior, as well as a solid (and slightly more experienced) defensive core.

It’s just four games into their season, and a lot can happen between now and March, but the Lakers seem to have found a better balance offense and defense. Considering it’s the LSSU program’s 50th anniversary of existence, it’s at least a first step in the proper direction back to the more halcyon days of the early 1990s.

“I don’t think anybody thought we’d go from being one of the worst offensive teams in the country to leading the NCAA early on here, but it gives us confidence,” Whitten said. “I think we’ve shown an ability that we can create and we can score, and that’s going to give us a chance.

“We feel good about where we’re at and where we’re moving the program forward.”

Ringy Dingy!

Comment

Apparel for the 2016 Pink in the Rink is available for purchase at Barnes & Noble at LSSU.

Long-sleeve and short-sleeve t-shirts, hockey lace hoodies, regular hoodies and crew-neck sweatshirts, and women’s raglan t-shirts are for sale at Barnes & Noble while supplies last. Apparel will also be sold at Taffy Abel Arena during the hockey series.

Lake Superior State (4-0-0 overall, 2-0-0 Western Collegiate Hockey Association) plays host to Alaska at 7:37 p.m. Friday and 7:07 p.m. Saturday. The ninth annual Pink in the Rink is officially Saturday, but the Lakers will wear their 1970s throwback jerseys throughout the weekend. The jerseys, which include a Pink in the Rink patch, will be auctioned off during Saturday’s game.

A highlight of this year’s Pink in the Rink is the “Finding Dory” Halloween Party sponsored by War Memorial Hospital from 6-8 p.m. in Cooper Gymnasium. Admission to the Halloween party is free and includes games, face painting, trick or treating for kids and a costume contest. Fans can purchase tickets to win one of several high-dollar themed raffle baskets or bid on jerseys and silent auction items. Free soda refills are available with a purchase of an official Pink in the Rink cup. Special Pink in the Rink cupcakes will be sold.

Through eight years, more than $145,000 has been raised and donated back to local health and wellness organizations. Last year, $10,000 was donated to the WMH newly-opened Cancer Care Center. The remaining funds went to Community Health Access Coalition, Breastfeeding Education and Support Team, Pregnancy and Infant Loss, Diane Peppler Shelter, Girls on the Run and Hospice of the EUP.

To follow Pink in the Rink and make a donation, email pinkintherink@yahoo.com or go to Pink in the Rink LSSU on facebook and twitter.

Ringy Dingy!

Comment

Here is a preview of this weekend's series against Alaska Fairbanks, with head coach Damon Whitten.

http://www.lssulakers.com/sports/m-h..._Alaska_-PITR-

You can also hear the legendary Voice of the Lakers, Bill Crawford with head coach Damon Whitten on Laker Hockey Talk on ESPN Radio station 1400 http://lakers.sovcomm.net/Laker%20Hockey%20Talk/ and the Laker Hockey Show with Bill Crawford at http://lakers.sovcomm.net/Laker%20Hockey%20Show/ on your home of Laker Athletics Sovereign Communications.

Ringy Dingy!

Comment

I did not realize that Brian Mahoney-Wilson was now coaching at Notre Dame . Good to see him working with Jeff Jackson .

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                      I did not realize that Brian Mahoney-Wilson was now coaching at Notre Dame . Good to see him working with Jeff Jackson .
                      Brian is working with the Detroit Red Wings this season. He was at Notre Dame last year.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/201...elopment-coach

It's great to see some of the former Lakers getting roles in the coaching world! Troy Schwab is with the Greenville Swamp Rabbits and Matt Bruneteau with the Stevenson Mustangs.

Comment

Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
                        *******http://i.imgur.com/2GoTaBz.jpg********

LSSU is auctioning off the vintage Soo Lakers jerseys on Saturday. I prefer the anchor on the crest, but these are still pretty cool. Wouldn't mind picking one up.
                        I agree. I prefer the anchor on the crest, but they are definitely cool looking throwbacks. They should raise some pretty good money for Pink in the Rink this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
                          “The NCAA Eligibility Center is responsible for determining a student-athlete's initial eligibility status based on their pre-enrollment athletic history,” Jen Constantino, LSSU’s NCAA compliance officer and deputy Title IX co-ordinator,” told Taking Note via email. “Brayden and his family worked with the Eligibility Center prior to his enrolment at Lake Superior State University to answer the NCAA's questions and provide them with the information they needed to make their decision.

“The NCAA made the determination that Brayden Gelsinger would be immediately eligible for competition. Our athletic department has followed the direction given to us by the NCAA.”

Hope that helps...

Comment

Arizona State seems to be having a hard time finding a home league to join up with. There seems to be no talk on what league may be willing to allow them to join.

Comment

Owen Headrick is continuing to turn heads with his hockey skills.

The 19-year-old, who is from the Garden River First Nation near Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., is a sophomore defenceman with the Lake Superior State Lakers.

The Lakers, an NCAA Division 1 squad, are based in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, a mere 20-minute drive from his home community.

A year ago, Headrick earned rave reviews for nabbing a roster spot and having a regular shift with a club and in a league including players several years older. His play didn’t go unnoticed by pro talent seekers.

Officials from about 10 National Hockey League teams had discussions with him. But Headrick, who is Ojibwe, was not selected in the NHL Entry Draft this past June.

Headrick is still eligible to be chosen in the 2017 NHL draft. Even if he is not selected, he won’t be abandoning his pro aspirations.

“From college nowadays there’s a lot of guys signing on as free agents,” he said.

Though it remains to be seen what will happen the next few years, Headrick, who is studying Criminology at Lake Superior State, is planning to use up his four years of college eligibility.

“Education is a big part of my life and my family’s life,” said Headrick, who is the eldest of five children.

“Graduating with that degree would be huge because say I do get to play a couple of years of pro hockey, I would still have that degree to fall back on afterwards.”

Working towards a pro career, however, remains his main priority.

“That’s definitely my main goal once I get out of college,” he said. “Hockey is the biggest part of my life. I want to play hockey as long as I can.”

Headrick played a couple of seasons with the Sault Ste. Marie Thunderbirds of the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League before joining the Lakers. He helped the Thunderbirds win the league championships in 2015.

Headrick was also named the league’s playoff MVP that spring by racking up 20 points, including 12 goals, in 14 post-season matches.

As for this year, Headrick has collected seven points (one goal and six assists) in four contests. At this pace it won’t take him long to pass the 12 points he earned as a rookie with the Lakers in 39 games.

“At the start of the year my goal was to get 20 points,” he said. “If I continue to play well, I think I can surpass that.”

Despite his solid start, Headrick added he hasn’t adjusted the number of points he’d like to achieve by that much.

“I think if everything is going well, maybe I can get 25 points,” he said.

With his seven points this far, Headrick is tied for top spot in team scoring along with three forwards; junior J.T. Henke, sophomore Mitch Hults, and freshman Brayden Gelsinger.

Headrick collected six of his points in the Lakers’ season-opening weekend wins (6-1 and 7-3) over the Michigan State Spartans on Oct. 14 and Oct. 15. As a result, he was selected as the co-winner of the defensive player of the week in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association.

“That was a big honour,” said Headrick, who is a hair under 6-ft and weighs about 195 pounds.

“I was really pleased to find out I received that. For me it was a reward for all the hard work I’ve put in.

And it showed me I’m getting better.”

But Headrick is not about to rest upon his laurels. He realizes there’s plenty of room for improvement in his game. And he knows he has plenty of hard work ahead of him in order to get better.

“I think everyone can still get stronger and faster,” he said. “Those are my main goals as a player – to get stronger and faster and be more of a resource in my own end.”

The Lakers are sporting a perfect 4-0-0 record so far this season. The club registered a 14-22-5 mark last year and finished seventh in their nine-team league. They were then knocked out of the playoffs after losing their best-of-three quarterfinal series 2-1 against Minnesota State.

Headrick likes how his squad is shaping up now.

“We’re looking really good this year,” he said. “We’re still a fairly young team. We’ve got 10 or 11 sophomores and seven or eight freshmen. But we’re all excited to see what the season has in store for us.”

The Lakers return to action this week, hosting the Alaska Nanooks in a pair of games on Oct. 28 and Oct. 29.

Ringy Dingy!

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                                Arizona State seems to be having a hard time finding a home league to join up with. There seems to be no talk on what league may be willing to allow them to join.
                                The B1G said they wouldn't take them, same with the NCHC. But I think with Notre Dame joining the B1G, they may rethink that if the Devils get an arena.

And until they come up with a real arena, or something in writing with the Yotes to build a new arena, I can't imagine anyone allowing them to join their conference. I mean, I guess I could see the WCHA try (and they have), because of how large of a school they are, it could be some good exposure for our schools.

The biggest problem with that idea, however, are the road trips. Most teams travel twice to Alaska & down to Huntsville during the year. This also doesn't count some of the other long roadtrips, like Ferris/LSSU/NMU to Bemidji or MSU. I think by adding ASU it would put even more unneeded financial stress on a lot of teams.

Now, if either or both of the Alaskan teams fold it may not be as bad/open the door, but I would still imagine it would be based off of them having a real home arena to play in.

Edit: Just saw that it looks like both Alaskan teams are sticking around, pending NCAA approval to cut some other sports. But it sounds like the programs being cut are some of the more successful ones, so we'll see if they'll actually approve them.
                                Last edited by Deman; 10-28-2016, 01:05 PM.
                                LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X