LSSU Lakers 2016-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2016-17

I didn't like the hit, but 5 seemed like a stretch.

Comment

• Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
      LakerBaker= Fake News. We have improved over last season this rebuild takes time. Keep spewing your lies though.
      Enter exhibit A your honor of the latest Damon Whitten apologist.

If a 7th place finish and barely making the playoffs in a very weak league, winning 6 games of your last 30 played, and getting outshot by almost 40 in a playoff game is your idea of improvement, methinks you need loftier goals, or to pull your head out of the sand and look at reality, man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrum Bucket View Post
        I didn't like the hit, but 5 seemed like a stretch.
        I think Deman's view is right. It's a call that's gonna and should be called. At any rate, being called at 19:14 does it make much difference if it was 2 or 5 minutes?

Comment

After tonite's game and effort, methinks this team is getting better.

Let the Damon Whitten apologists begin the excuses for yet another off season and year, man.

Ringy Dingy!
          Last edited by LakerBaker; 03-04-2017, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerBaker View Post
            After tonite's game and effort, methinks this team is getting better.

Let the Damon Whitten apologists begin the excuses for yet another off season and year, man.

Ringy Dingy!
            2014-15- 28 losses
            2015-16- 22 losses
            2016-17- 18 losses

Yes the team has gotten better. Mel Pearson had 19 losses in his 3rd season at Tech which is more than Whitten's 18. Bergeron had 21 losses in his 3rd season at BGSU. Damon can't just wave a magic wand and speed up the rebuild. Look at the time it took Anzalone/Roque to go though the last rebuild.

Stating facts and not "fake news".
            Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 03-04-2017, 09:35 PM.
            LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

It's about that time to start the off-season thread.
              LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

• Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                2014-15- 28 losses
                2015-16- 22 losses
                2016-17- 18 losses

Yes the team has gotten better. Mel Pearson had 19 losses in his 3rd season at Tech which is more than Whitten's 18. Bergeron had 21 losses in his 3rd season at BGSU. Damon can't just wave a magic wand and speed up the rebuild. Look at the time it took Anzalone/Roque to go though the last rebuild.

Stating facts and not "fake news".
                Enter exhibit B your honor.

11-18-7 winning 6 of their final 31 games, getting embarrassed this weekend according to Bill Crawford. But hey that's getting better according to the coaches chums on here, and I'm sure next year will be much better.

Methinks the facts get in the way of your blind loyalty and devotion to Damon Whitten, man. The good news is you are now the #1 contender for the 2017-18 lead apologist for this administration. Should be quite the battle there.

On and off the ice, it will remain exactly the same if now worse for a head coach that is simply in over his head and has never been a part of a winning program with him behind the bench, ever.

Ringy Dingy!

Comment

Embarrassment . The problem was not that MI Tech was so good this weekend. The problem was that Lake State was so awful . After a year of playing together as a team ,the best this program could do was embarrass itself . Lose 4-2 or 5-3 or 2-1 but not 8-0 . Was the team even prepared to play or was that just a fantasy thinking they were .

Oh yea, there is always next year .

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                    Bergeron had 21 losses in his 3rd season at BGSU.
                    He made it to the CCHA quarterfinals that year as the #9 seed beating #8 LSSU in the first round in 3 games (2-0, 3-6, 0-7) before being swept by the eventual CCHA tourney champ ND (1-0, 4-3). In his 7 seasons at BG he has never failed to win a first round playoff series, even with those early "talent-challenged" teams.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerBaker View Post
                      Enter exhibit B your honor.

11-18-7 winning 6 of their final 31 games, getting embarrassed this weekend according to Bill Crawford. But hey that's getting better according to the coaches chums on here, and I'm sure next year will be much better.

Methinks the facts get in the way of your blind loyalty and devotion to Damon Whitten, man. The good news is you are now the #1 contender for the 2017-18 lead apologist for this administration. Should be quite the battle there.

On and off the ice, it will remain exactly the same if now worse for a head coach that is simply in over his head and has never been a part of a winning program with him behind the bench, ever.

Ringy Dingy!
                      There is no credible defense of the Lakers' 2nd half collapse but Randy, you have to admit that there has been some progress year over year. Next season will be the tell all year. The team will totally belong to Whitten and so will the results. I am sure we will see further improvement and this late season collapse will be thoroughly looked at and addressed. The real question though is what does the program and school do if there is no improvement and not a success? Do they cut Whitten lose and to what end? Can another coach do better? Does the lack of success in reality reflect on the lack of resources afflicting the program and if so (and I do believe that this is the case) what can be done about it?

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                        There is no credible defense of the Lakers' 2nd half collapse but Randy, you have to admit that there has been some progress year over year. Next season will be the tell all year. The team will totally belong to Whitten and so will the results. I am sure we will see further improvement and this late season collapse will be thoroughly looked at and addressed. The real question though is what does the program and school do if there is no improvement and not a success? Do they cut Whitten lose and to what end? Can another coach do better? Does the lack of success in reality reflect on the lack of resources afflicting the program and if so (and I do believe that this is the case) what can be done about it?
                        Strike "Damon Whitten" and replace "Mike Corbett" and you have nearly the exact same issues save changes in latitude and academic standing.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

The Whitten resume

'05-'06: 6-23-6
                          '06-'07: 13-21-3
                          '07-'08: 7-21-8
                          '10-'11: 4-30-4
                          '11-'12: 16-19-4
                          '12-'13: 8-16-4
                          '13-'14: 12-11-5
                          '14-'15: 8-28-2
                          '15-'16: 14-22-5
                          '16-'17: 11-18-7
                          Last edited by LakerBaker; 03-05-2017, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            Strike "Damon Whitten" and replace "Mike Corbett" and you have nearly the exact same issues save changes in latitude and academic standing.

GFM
                            Exactly, so what would changing coaches do to improve performance if the real culprit is lack of financing? I think Whitten is a good coach and I really enjoy the Lakers uptempo game compared to how they played under Jim Roque but the pudding is in the results and next year will be a pivotal year for both the coaching staff and the program.

Comment

You can't cut Whitten loose for at least 8-9 years of coaching under his belt there. Crawford talked all season long on how other teams were so much stronger than Lake State and that is easy to fix. Get into the weight room and put on muscle. It's not hard to build strength and muscle. It just takes time and a desire to . Recruit better speed as we all know, speed kills. The team didn't seem to play well together at times and that has to be figured out why. Do something with the defense . Go back to hockey 101 if you have to and re-teach the defense how to play a good solid defense and defend their zone better. The team has talent but it got lost for some reason and they have to figure that out as well .
                              Last edited by sm2pk; 03-05-2017, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                                Exactly, so what would changing coaches do to improve performance if the real culprit is lack of financing? I think Whitten is a good coach and I really enjoy the Lakers uptempo game compared to how they played under Jim Roque but the pudding is in the results and next year will be a pivotal year for both the coaching staff and the program.
                                LSSU was never as far down as UAH was (and you can be thankful for that), but the big problem is that jumping out of the bottom 6th of D-I is a tough task. People think that our weather and girls will help us recruit, but we aren't getting top-flight talent. It takes time and money, especially in recruiting budgets for your coaches to get eyes on more players and find a kid that's been overlooked (maybe on a bad team) or isn't getting much time on a good one — an undersized guy, a late-bloomer, what-have-you. I mean, the Kalble pickup looks like a great get for the Lakers, but he was the last Fargo player to get on a D-I commit list and will be 20 when the season starts. He's the second-highest D scorer on a team that gets all their points up front.

Please don't think that I'm dogging on your program, because right now, Lake Superior is better than Alabama-Huntsville. It's just a tough spot to be in. At least LSSU has the three national titles.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X