Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

A BIG Big Green win last night against Harvard. If you would have told me the Big Green would put up an 8 spot (albeit two EN) I would have said yeah and they would win the NCAA Championship. Those 8 goals are three games worth for the Big Green who has had trouble scoring. It was a very strange game the Big Green had the play early on only to have one slapper missing wide of the net and wrapping all the way around and leading to 1 on 1 situation which Harvard and scored on a breakaway. Then not more than a minute later the puck hits off a Big Green's D-men skate and goals in. All the sudden it 2-0 and game turned upside down. Then Crema scores a nice goal with speed to end the first down 2-1 Then all hell broke loose in the second as the both goalie's had trouble picking up the puck on shots on goal. Too many players to list who joined in on the goal parade. However, it was still a tight with the Big Green holding on in a prevent defense of puck-in and forwards back. In the end, two EN sealed the game. It is my hope that this propels the Big Green with confidence moving forward in the heart of the ECAC schedule where every game is a 4-pointer. Dont get comfortable Big Green and continue to improve!

Comment

A couple of other thoughts about last night's game vs Harvard. While Buffalo has been a stud for most of the season Clark has proven that he deserves more of a role as back-up instead of mop-up duty after Buffalo gets pulled. In the one game Clark did start he did OK vs Union. Also it looks like about 10 of the forward spots are set for the most part and 5 of the D. Additionally, I believe it is more than sheer coincidence that the overall team offense has picked-up lately due to the D men being more involved whether its activation or forwards going low to high with passes in the O zone leading to shots on goal and/or more dangerous passing opportunities to the forwards in the O zone

Comment

A another huge weekend among all weekends forthcoming...with this on the heels of a humongous victory over Harvard earlier in the week! Will this propel the Big Green or will they have tired legs or get overconfident? My bet is jet propulsion forward! Yale is not having a Yale-like season thus far so this is a perfect opportunity to cash in while Brown is struggling again so these are both winnable games. Go BIG GREEN!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
          A another huge weekend among all weekends forthcoming...with this on the heels of a humongous victory over Harvard earlier in the week! Will this propel the Big Green or will they have tired legs or get overconfident? My bet is jet propulsion forward! Yale is not having a Yale-like season thus far so this is a perfect opportunity to cash in while Brown is struggling again so these are both winnable games. Go BIG GREEN!
          We have good news and bad news! The bad: the Big Green was just awful as every single thing that could go wrong did go wrong.Please refer to my original post above and unfortunately the Big Green exhibited the tiredness. They lost board/puck battles, very little forecheck, if they tracked Corsi it would have been ugly, and so on. If there ever was a night where they needed their goalie to stand on their head (remember Grant last year against these same Bulldogs) unfortunately it did not happen as the floodgates opened early. However, good for Schatzer making his collegiate debut albeit in mop-up duty.
          Now the good news: this is the beauty of it all; in less than 24 short hours they can make amends and get back to their winning ways against Brown. This is where that focus and discipline and in this case short-term memory comes in. Leadership is critical here. Here's my Nostradamus headline for Sunday morning: The Big Green Rebounds in a Big Way vs Brown!

Comment

It was both a disappointing and bad loss last night to Brown. Disappointing from the standpoint from a rebound performance after getting spanked by Yale the night before and bad from the standpoint of dominating the first period and leading 2-0 at home (Brown couldn't get out of their zone and when they did very little O zone time). But that's why you play 60 minutes and in this case more in OT. However, everything changed in the second period as Brown dominated to tie it up. Did the Big Green get too comfortable, expend too much energy in the first, or Brown finally got their skating legs and act together....probably a combination of all three. Brown did a very good job of blocking shots from up top but also caving in as well; pucks just did not go through and when they did Nieto either made a nice save or the puck went harmlessly wide or over the net. Crema and Kalk continue to be dangerous together as they were along with Hartley and Yau were responsible with good puck movement with an extra attacker to tie the game late and send it into to OT. On the Brown's winning goal in OT, Graber (admirably filling in on D) stepped up and got beat leading to a loose puck stretch 2 on 1. Hartley comes all the way over to the boards instead of staying home. Put gets passed/centered leading to not only one but two chances the same player to bury it and win the game. Game over and let's re-group and head to NY state next weekend.

Comment

Big Green travels to NY state this weekend vs Colgate/Cornell. They are coming off a downer in losing two last weekend, one they were horrible against Yale while a bad period and a half against Brown did them in. Which Big Green team will we see as they have failed to establish consistency in overall play? The games vs Colgate has always been tight with either a one goal differential or an added EN. Cornell comes in as arguably the hottest team in the league with their trademark style of play giving the opponents fits with their big bodies and board play, coupled with stifling D and goaltending. Go BIG GREEN!!!!!

Comment

I know this sounds like a broken record, cause it is...another excruciating defeat! This was a very evenly matched games with not much flow. Very simply put, the difference in the game was Finn for Colgate...that save on Michalowski coming out of the box was just plain ridiculous; would be open net to high blocker save going left to his right. WOW! There is no doubt in my mind that if that was a goal then the Big Green comes back and win the game after starting off slow. After a wrister goal by Neily (welcome back) on a great draw from Ernsting, the Big Green controlled the play as they got their skating legs and confidence back. Again, the Big Green gives up a PP goal (early in the game) on a slapper from the mid point that must of had eyes. There's the difference; Big Green had those very same opportunities but either they were saved, blocked, or missed the net, although some of those were tippable as I believe that was their objective. Call it puck luck or whatever! Missing Hesler and Kalk certainly hurt but all teams have guys missing. Nobody stepped up although Shoup IMHO was the best player/skater on the ice last night (save for Finn). With a depleted D core, Graber was back on D paired with Hartley. Once everyone is healthy, I expect a major improvement in both the offense and team D (getting Yau and Shoup back together would help immensely but I understand the delicate balance for now). Now to Cornell who should be fighting mad after losing to Harvard. It has always been low-scoring between these two and I would expect no differently. Get back on that horse!

Comment

Well that broken record now has been revitalized...great improbable comeback victory, down 2-0 early against a solid Cornell team. And guess what led to the comeback, PP goals, all three of them plus a EN at the end, nothing fancy just pucks on the net with traffic. After not capitalizing on the early PP's with the Hartley/Graber and Kilistoff line who had extended zone time but few shots attempted, more around the world passing. Finally the unit of Yau/Roth with the line of Crema, Jasiek, and Blankenmier were responsible for all three of the PP goals; they seemed to work it more on the half board rather than up top, and also more on a zone entry than setting up. Either way it worked! Now I must say the call on Cornell in the neutral zone was sketchy at best leading to a 5 on 4 then subsequently and 5 on 3 which was a definite call. Regardless the calls were made and we are not giving the goals back. This call reminded me of the Union game where Yau gets called for a holding penalty while on the PP...that it definitely swung the game. Of interesting note, the freshmen class might have hit the "proverbial wall" as they are no where nearly as effective as they were earlier in the season but that's OK as the effort is still there as they hopefully learn from this. As they say, "It's a GRIND!" Although I will say Blankenmier looks good as he recovered from injury. Buffalo looked solid as his angles and coming out of the crease to take on the shooter looks positive and confident. Get em BIG GREEN!

Comment

Nice updates, it is good to keep tabs on the other ECAC teams.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

• Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                      Nice updates, it is good to keep tabs on the other ECAC teams.
                      Thanks LTsatch and likewise for your updates especially from a fan perspective (not a homer fan)! I just wished there are Big Green fans out there that can chime in but that's OK!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                        Thanks LTsatch and likewise for your updates especially from a fan perspective (not a homer fan)! I just wished there are Big Green fans out there that can chime in but that's OK!
                        Agee as to both of you. Big Green, I was high on your team after Union, and still am. I am looking forward to Dartmouth coming down to Meehan next month. Should be a good game.

Comment

• Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                          Our Yale thread is lacking in participation as well, Facebook groups seem to be more popular places rather than message boards these days. The Yale FB page is nice but it is really home centric, you can be a little more realistic on here, good luck the rest of the way.
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                            Agee as to both of you. Big Green, I was high on your team after Union, and still am. I am looking forward to Dartmouth coming down to Meehan next month. Should be a good game.
                            Thanks Mike Brown played very well last night, they kind of ran out of gas in the third, but dominated the first and second. The game winning goal was very weird, it skipped past Nieto like a stone.
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                              Hey Mike thanks for the nice words; I just wished they establish that consistency that good teams do. Hard to figure, how a team can beat a better Harvard team 8-4 and lose to (outright spanked )by Yale all in a week. That said, it is a crap-shoot in the league especially when you get down to the bottom half. Anyway your Brown team did look good especially from the second period on against us. Good luck the rest of the way!

Comment

A huge BIG GREEN congrats to Troy Crema and Alex Jasiek for being named the ECAC player of the month and week respectively! Well done boys and much deserved and earned! Now let's get some more wins so others came win those same awards as it is usually teams that win get these awards! Go Big Green!

Comment

Working...
                                X