Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 163

Thread: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Albany (a.k.a. Smallbany), NY
    Posts
    116

    Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

    Why did they get rid of the goal horn at Thompson Arena?

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    190

    Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

    The Big Green provided the mix bag this weekend at Robert Morris, it was like a Tale of Two Teams with each close to controlling the play in each game. They came out very flat the first game although stabilized and had good spurts in the second period. Two things led to their demise: juicy turnovers especially in D zone and inability to finish in the O zone. Buffalo was good in this game. In the second of a back to backer, the Big Green dominated and jumped on RMU early. Matter of fact, they scored on their first PP goal of the year, something like after 40 or so chances. And what do you know, pass from low to high with a shot and rebound for a put backer by Kalk. The Big Green would go on to score another PP goal. Hope this will jump start them as been noted plenty of times... 5 on 5 they are good but specialty units, especially PP has suffered. Kalk and Crema were a force.

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    190

    Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

    The Big Green travels to the North Country and take on Clarkson and St. Lawrence this weekend, two very good teams. We will see which Big Green team shows up, the sluggish and plodding one or the one that has jump and all over their opponent. We hope it is the latter! It seems as though the a few of the freshmen has drawn at least even if not moved ahead of some of the veterans. Buffalo has started all games save for the one he got pulled. Suffice to say, these conference games are huge 4-point games. Go Big Green! There has got be other Big Green fans! Where are you?

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    190

    Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

    A tough loss to Clarkson last night. Clarkson was the better team overall last night but the Big Green had impressive moments like the 3rd period. The last Clarkson goal was a killer; it was very fluky as the Big Green had complete possession and a harmless D to D pass behind the net must of hit a rut and hopped over the the D's stick leading to a turnover back to the point. The shot from the point missed everything however came off the end glass heavy and bounced just to the side in front of the net where a Clarkson F beat the Dartmouth D and slid it past Buffalo. I honestly believe if that goal did not happen the Big Green would have come back and at bare minimum tied the game. The Big Green had complete momentum at that time which Clarkson had trouble getting out of their zone. On a bright note, there was one 4 on 4 two minutes worth where I believe the Big Green probably played it's best hockey of the year as a cohesive unit. The four were Yau, Hartley, Ernsting, and Kalk which led to a beautiful goal on turnover by Clarkson at their O blue line. That led to a 3 on 2 counter with Yau trailing. Kalk hits him and Yau one times it back (give and go) to Kalk for the easy open net against a great goalie in Keily. The negative was again the specialty units; 2 goals given up on the PK and no goals on their PP. Let's get them at St. Lawrence!

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    190

    Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

    Another tough loss with the same theme: lack of fire-power to score in general especially on the PP as another goose-egg and the inability to prevent goals on the PK spells a recipe for disaster. Again 5 on 5 were OK. Buffalo is starting to reveal some leakiness as he got pulled last night. I believe that second goal given up should have been a routine save as it trickle in the net but he has been good overall. Another D to D turnover behind the goal line led to the first goal. Having Kalk and Jasiek out of the lineup certainly contributed to the drought but somebody (ies) have to step up and nobody did. Let's win one next week against a improved UNH team with a little home-cooking then get on a much needed break to re-group and re-charge. Am I the only Big Green fan? Where are you?

  6. #46

    Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by BIG Green View Post
    Another tough loss with the same theme: lack of fire-power to score in general especially on the PP as another goose-egg and the inability to prevent goals on the PK spells a recipe for disaster. Again 5 on 5 were OK. Buffalo is starting to reveal some leakiness as he got pulled last night. I believe that second goal given up should have been a routine save as it trickle in the net but he has been good overall. Another D to D turnover behind the goal line led to the first goal. Having Kalk and Jasiek out of the lineup certainly contributed to the drought but somebody (ies) have to step up and nobody did. Let's win one next week against a improved UNH team with a little home-cooking then get on a much needed break to re-group and re-charge. Am I the only Big Green fan? Where are you?
    Big Green,

    Love your enthusiasm. Most long time fans have become numb too much disappointment over the years.Bob Gaudet is a good man but new blood is needed the team has become like the movie" Ground Hog Day"

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    190

    Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

    eddieshack23,

    Thanks for your kind words! While Gaudet's time might have passed him by, I would like to think that more of the issue is an uneven playing field; as in no athletic scholarships for the Ivies. However, I am mindful that Harvard, Yale except for this year thus far), and Cornell are pretty good year after year abiding by the same rules. Regardless, you have play with what you have and develop them from recruits all the way to their senior year. I am ever the optimist or just plain drinking the kool-aid.

  8. #48

    Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by BIG Green View Post
    eddieshack23,

    Thanks for your kind words! While Gaudet's time might have passed him by, I would like to think that more of the issue is an uneven playing field; as in no athletic scholarships for the Ivies. However, I am mindful that Harvard, Yale except for this year thus far), and Cornell are pretty good year after year abiding by the same rules. Regardless, you have play with what you have and develop them from recruits all the way to their senior year. I am ever the optimist or just plain drinking the kool-aid.
    I think loss of Dave Peters has set the program back more than most people realize

  9. #49
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    11,844

    Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

    Mmm-mmm-mmm ... Ivy covered, Big Green cupcakes!! Get in my belly!!!
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    4,668

    Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

    I will be one of the Cats fans at Thompson this weekend. Hoping that the fish chowder is not as ice cold as my last visit; was not even lukewarm, whassup with dat?

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    3,437

    Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    I will be one of the Cats fans at Thompson this weekend. Hoping that the fish chowder is not as ice cold as my last visit; was not even lukewarm, whassup with dat?
    So bummed I will miss this one...hubby's Christmas party (ugh). Go to Molly's downtown...cheap margaritas! You won't notice the cold chowda...
    Let's Go 'Cats!

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    190

    Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

    HockeyRef,

    Just tell your hubby you will be there in spirit both physically (consumed from Molly's) and mentally (from the heart)! LOL!

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    190

    Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

    Snively65,

    Cannot speak about the chowda but sorry! HockeyRef is right try Molly's! Cannot go wrong with Canoe Club or Murphy's as well! Either way have a great time and good luck with your very good UNH team, just not that night. LOL!

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    190

    Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

    eddieshack23,

    Agreed 100%... Dave Peters was both a good man and good hockey mind!

  15. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    4,668
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG Green View Post
    Snively65,

    Cannot speak about the chowda but sorry! HockeyRef is right try Molly's! Cannot go wrong with Canoe Club or Murphy's as well! Either way have a great time and good luck with your very good UNH team, just not that night. LOL!
    Thanks for the culinary tips, BG and HR.

    I co-maintain the Glencliff Trail on Moosilauke for the DOC, so I have some affinity with Dartmouth. :-)

  16. #56
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    11,844

    Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Thanks for the culinary tips, BG and HR.

    I co-maintain the Glencliff Trail on Moosilauke for the DOC, so I have some affinity with Dartmouth. :-)
    No affinity allowed until these cupcakes have been devoured, and the sugar buzz is setting in afterwards.

    ((( hey - just wondering - is this season thread going to make it to the next round number by season's end? The boss was just asking ... )))
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    4,668

    Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    No affinity allowed until these cupcakes have been devoured, and the sugar buzz is setting in afterwards.

    ((( hey - just wondering - is this season thread going to make it to the next round number by season's end? The boss was just asking ... )))
    Any thread that has Eddie Shack as a poster is ok in my book.
    Last edited by Snively65; 12-06-2016 at 08:29 PM.

  18. #58
    Seasoned Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    NO SPIN ZONE!!! Kennebunkport, Me
    Posts
    3,622

    Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

    Skated on Occum Pond, Davis Rink and Thompson Arena and climed Moosilake. What other UNH or Dartmouth fan for that matter can top that?

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    4,668

    Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by e.cat View Post
    Skated on Occum Pond, Davis Rink and Thompson Arena and climed Moosilake. What other UNH or Dartmouth fan for that matter can top that?
    Excellent, e.cat! Climbed Moosilauke, right? Or, as some say, Moose Hillock.

    Was Davis Rink to Thompson Arena as Snively was to Lake Whitt?

    I have seen sediment cores taken from Occum Pond on a geology field trip, but not skated on it.

  20. #60
    Seasoned Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    NO SPIN ZONE!!! Kennebunkport, Me
    Posts
    3,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Excellent, e.cat! Climbed Moosilauke, right? Or, as some say, Moose Hillock.

    Was Davis Rink to Thompson Arena as Snively was to Lake Whitt?

    I have seen sediment cores taken from Occum Pond on a geology field trip, but not skated on it.
    Yes Davis Rink is to Dartmouth what Snively is to UNH. IIRC Davis had bench seating just on one side. Very minimalistic but functional. Thompson was a major upgrade to a storied program, kinda!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •