Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DEAD!! All right, who died now?

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I don't really care any way, but IMO, most of the Cubans in Miami are Americans.
    I really don't care, either. If someone wants to celebrate a death, go ahead. It's their right.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Well, are we talking Cubans that are here as refugees, illegals, or Cuban-Americans that are legal citizens of USA? Furthermore, how about anti-Communist Americans?

Enquiring minds want to know!
      Are there any illegal Cubans in the US? All that had come to us up to a certain point had requested political asylum and eventually obtain citizenship. Have any Cubans made their way here since we've opened relations with Cuba? Technically, they're still under the same rule of the Castro regime, and some say Raul is even more ruthless than Fidel ever was. Would we still grant them political asylum now that relations have been reopened?
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Are there any illegal Cubans in the US? All that had come to us up to a certain point had requested political asylum and eventually obtain citizenship. Have any Cubans made their way here since we've opened relations with Cuba? Technically, they're still under the same rule of the Castro regime, and some say Raul is even more ruthless than Fidel ever was. Would we still grant them political asylum now that relations have been reopened?
        I honestly don't know for sure. I would take an educated guess that some arrived via boat and snuck in, just looking at it from an odds standpoint.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I honestly don't know for sure. I would take an educated guess that some arrived via boat and snuck in, just looking at it from an odds standpoint.
          But why sneak in when all were essentially welcomed and they clearly knew it? Of course, we had to put on a show while their rafts were still at sea, but once they made it to shore they were taken in without issue. Except for Elian Gonzalez, of course. We deported the kid.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            But why sneak in when all were essentially welcomed and they clearly knew it? Of course, we had to put on a show while their rafts were still at sea, but once they made it to shore they were taken in without issue. Except for Elian Gonzalez, of course. We deported the kid.
            They didn't know any better? Being serious, not mocking or sarcastic.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              So clear it up - who are you seeing that is celebrating? Cubans or Americans?

Big difference, IMO.
              I saw Americans in Miami celebrating, who may or may not have been former Cubans or are some generations removed from being off the boat. Either way, it doesn't matter.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                I saw Americans in Miami celebrating, who may or may not have been former Cubans or are some generations removed from being off the boat. Either way, it doesn't matter.
                Actually I think it does. If 'your' parents for instance suffered mightily under the rule of Castro, if your cousin disappeared, your sister was tortured, your grandfather wrongfully imprisoned....

There's a significant Cuban community in Miami (obviously you know that so not trying to condescend) and for many people like that I'm not sure I take issue. If it's just random Joe Public joining in than yeah, why are you celebrating?

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                  Ron Glass, aka Shepard Book from Firefly, 71
                  take my love
                  take my land
                  take me where I cannot stand
                  I don't care
                  I'm still free
                  you can't take the sky from me

take me out
                  to the black tell 'em I ain't coming back
                  burn the land
                  and boil the sea
                  you can't take the sky from me

have no place
                  I can be
                  since I found Serenity
                  but you can't take the sky from me
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Actually I think it does. If 'your' parents for instance suffered mightily under the rule of Castro, if your cousin disappeared, your sister was tortured, your grandfather wrongfully imprisoned....

There's a significant Cuban community in Miami (obviously you know that so not trying to condescend) and for many people like that I'm not sure I take issue. If it's just random Joe Public joining in than yeah, why are you celebrating?
                    I get that and it's fair enough. For me personally, I just couldn't celebrate another person's death. I would celebrate the end of a brutal regime, but that's not what's happening here. Not entirely. His brother is still in power and we're slowly normalizing relations.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      I get that and it's fair enough. For me personally, I just couldn't celebrate another person's death. I would celebrate the end of a brutal regime, but that's not what's happening here. Not entirely. His brother is still in power and we're slowly normalizing relations.
                      Keep in mind that Raul is 85 now, too. It's not going to be a long wait before he shows up in a DEAD!!! thread. I mean, I can't imagine that he's got more than 5-7 years left. It will be very interesting to see what happens in Cuba after he goes.
                      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• The twitter responses to Trudeau's moronic eulogy to Castro are hilarious.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          I've got to say, the actual celebrating I'm seeing makes me feel uncomfortable. The guy did some really awful things, and I can't really relate, but it's still weird to celebrate a death. Anyone else have issues with this?
                          I have no issue with people celebrating the death of the mass murderer Fidel Castro at all. My mom escaped Cuba in 1967 and went to Spain with nothing but the clothes in her back and one change of clothes. No pictures, no money, nothing but two dresses. The following year a cousin in Chicago sponsored my grandma, grandpa, aunt and uncle and they also escaped with nothing. Left all personal belongings because, well those items including pictures were all inventoried and considered state property.

When you abolish freedom of speech and assembly, abolish private property rights and then line people up up and mow them down by firing squad because they spoke out against Castro or Guevara or wrote dissident music or poetry or were gay, and imprisoned others for speaking out or for the fact the informer on the block notified government officials our cousin had a rifle and he was held for 5 years as a political prisoner and branded with a 7 digit number on his wrist like some animal.

When you do that and more you're a filthy disgusting pos and my . 02 is **** Castro and Guevara and I was not the least bit concerned this weekend with the appearance or impropriety or callousness when I had Cuba Libre's at Cubanitas to celebrate Castro's demise and toast my grandparents who unfortunately have passed on and couldn't enjoy the moment themselves and the thought that maybe someday, they could consider home again.
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Powerful post. Made me think. Thanks!

Comment

Heard a story on the radio about the Bay of Pigs veterans. Some are actually disheartened because Castro died without seeing his own government toppled and some wish they had been given another chance to overtake Cuba.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Actor Fritz Weaver has died. He was 90.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X