Babe Ruth?
    Ruth saved baseball
    Palmer saved golf

Looking ahead..
    Bill Russell?
    Wayne Gretzky???
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: DEAD!! All right, who died now?

And Arnold Palmer oddly gets a 30 second mention on The Simpsons tonight.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
        And Arnold Palmer oddly gets a 30 second mention on The Simpsons tonight.
        Talk about coincidence. I hardly ever watch The Simpsons anymore, tuned in randomly for about three minutes tonight, heard the reference, and within ten minutes heard about his death.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Ruth saved baseball
          Palmer saved golf

Looking ahead..
          Bill Russell?
          Wayne Gretzky???
          Well, Howe is still greater than Gretzky for the "face" of the sport, IMO. And that is NOT a knock on Wayne, not one bit.

For bouncyball.....Jordan, I think, will be the BIG one.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            John L. Sullivan?
            Jim Thorpe?
            Babe Ruth?
            Sullivan and Thorpe (in his prime) pre-dated radio sports, and Ruth pre-dated TV. I know, I was there.

Palmer was the first athlete who was appointment viewing on a regular basis. Timing was on his side, no doubt, but I can only think of Magic Johnson as another athlete since Palmer who radiated the same extroverted (but modest) charisma, the thrill of victory and agony of defeat, and captured the imagination of the masses with his style of play. Not surprisingly, both excelled off the course/court in their business and humanitarian endeavors.

Ali had the charisma, style, and the amazing humanitarian side probably above all, but in his prime he boxed 3-4 times a year tops, and sometimes you could only see him on closed circuit or replays weeks/months after the fact.

Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr are my hockey idols, but the sport never got the coverage golf did during their times, and both preferred to avoid the limelight. Jack Nicklaus and (arguably) Gary Player were technically better golfers who amassed more majors during the same era Palmer played, but they were not beloved by the masses. I'm not sure Palmer (or Ali) sought out the spotlight - it just happened to follow them, which really was their magic.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Ruth saved baseball
              Palmer saved golf

Looking ahead..
              Bill Russell?
              Wayne Gretzky???

Well, for "saved" read "transformed" or "ruined" depending on your values. The athletes who made their respective professional sports into national media cash cows were Sullivan, Ruth, Palmer, whoever did it for Canada in hockey (Rocket Richard maybe?), Wilt and... I dunno actually. Red Grange maybe?
              Last edited by Kepler; 09-26-2016, 10:20 AM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Country singer Jean Shepard.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/ente...d-82/76568704/
                A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  The first (and arguably most impactful) high profile sports athlete, and an amazing human being too.
                  I knew where you were going with this. The embodiment of "duende". Read "Arnie and Jack" to get an understanding of his impact, especially on televised sports.
                  Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                    I knew where you were going with this. The embodiment of "duende". Read "Arnie and Jack" to get an understanding of his impact, especially on televised sports.
                    Terrific book, fun read, lots of great little-known insights into how two of the greatest got that way.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Well, for "saved" read "transformed" or "ruined" depending on your values. The athletes who made their respective professional sports into national media cash cows were Sullivan, Ruth, Palmer, whoever did it for Canada in hockey (Rocket Richard maybe?), Wilt and... I dunno actually. Red Grange maybe?
                    Actually, yeah, you nailed it with Red Grange (and most of the rest too). I'd put Dempsey as the transformative boxer over Sullivan, only because the pre-1920's media consisted mainly of telegraphs and (mostly local) newspapers. But I can see both sides of that debate.

Hockey-wise, that's a tough call from the Canadian side, but I name I've heard a lot in that context before Richard was Howie Morenz. Otherwise, I'd suggest that while Bobby Orr didn't necessarily spawn the first round of NHL expansion, his arrival did see the NHL expand as a media presence in the US exponentially, and I think you can chalk up the subsequent expansions AND the arrival of the WHA to the boom that followed the Orr era.

I really don't think Wilt, Russell, or anyone of that era moved the needle for pro hoops. It's hard to think of the NBA being a distant 4th among the major North American sports leagues, but that's where they were for quite awhile. I think Dr. J started to grab the attention and scratch the surface of the potential growth of the sport - his presence pretty much drove the NBA-ABA merger - but then afterwards, it was the Magic/Bird era that finally got the NBA on prime time, and Jordan took things to the next level after that.

Tiger Woods is the only guy in the discussion with Palmer, but while his "duende" had left him before he turned 40 (sadly never to return) Palmer retained his through the rest of his life. And the last major he won was in 1964. That's some staying power, and that's amazing.
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      Terrific book, fun read, lots of great little-known insights into how two of the greatest got that way.

Actually, yeah, you nailed it with Red Grange (and most of the rest too). I'd put Dempsey as the transformative boxer over Sullivan, only because the pre-1920's media consisted mainly of telegraphs and (mostly local) newspapers. But I can see both sides of that debate.

Hockey-wise, that's a tough call from the Canadian side, but I name I've heard a lot in that context before Richard was Howie Morenz. Otherwise, I'd suggest that while Bobby Orr didn't necessarily spawn the first round of NHL expansion, his arrival did see the NHL expand as a media presence in the US exponentially, and I think you can chalk up the subsequent expansions AND the arrival of the WHA to the boom that followed the Orr era.

I really don't think Wilt, Russell, or anyone of that era moved the needle for pro hoops. It's hard to think of the NBA being a distant 4th among the major North American sports leagues, but that's where they were for quite awhile. I think Dr. J started to grab the attention and scratch the surface of the potential growth of the sport - his presence pretty much drove the NBA-ABA merger - but then afterwards, it was the Magic/Bird era that finally got the NBA on prime time, and Jordan took things to the next level after that.

Tiger Woods is the only guy in the discussion with Palmer, but while his "duende" had left him before he turned 40 (sadly never to return) Palmer retained his through the rest of his life. And the last major he won was in 1964. That's some staying power, and that's amazing.
                      I'd put Dempsey as the transformative boxer over Sullivan
                      I'd put Gentleman Jim Corbett over both of them. Changed boxing from a brawl to the sweet science.
                      A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                        I'd put Gentleman Jim Corbett over both of them. Changed boxing from a brawl to the sweet science.
                        Also portrayed by Errol Flynn, which is enough to put anybody into the Hotness HOF just by reflected glory.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 09-27-2016, 11:41 AM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Jack Kirrane, USA Captain for the original Miracle on Ice Olympic in 1960.
                          Last edited by theprofromdover; 09-27-2016, 01:50 PM.
                          Originally posted by mookie1995
                          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                            Jack Kirrane, USA goalie for the original Miracle on Ice Olympic in 1960.
                            I think he was the Captain, not the goalie.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Goalie was Jack McCartan. Kirrane sounds right for the captain.

Comment

Fixed. My bad.
                                Originally posted by mookie1995
                                bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                                Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                                Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Working...
                                X