Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Well said gentlemen. Hockey recruiting these days isn't as simple as, we have 5 seniors leaving so we can only bring in 5 next year. Players on the current roster are being replaced also. It happens with coaching changes. There's going to be plenty of upperclassmen the next couple years that won't be seeing a lot of ice time if they stick around. Now with the addition of Joshua Ess next year does anyone think there's a chance that Davison (and maybe Bunz in 2018) goes the way of Jordan Hill and transfers out as a graduate? It also seems safe to say that the Mike Eaves 4 year cycle of unbalanced classes has been taken care of.

Comment

Originally posted by Great Day for Hockey View Post
      Well said gentlemen. Hockey recruiting these days isn't as simple as, we have 5 seniors leaving so we can only bring in 5 next year. Players on the current roster are being replaced also. It happens with coaching changes. There's going to be plenty of upperclassmen the next couple years that won't be seeing a lot of ice time if they stick around. Now with the addition of Joshua Ess next year does anyone think there's a chance that Davison (and maybe Bunz in 2018) goes the way of Jordan Hill and transfers out as a graduate? It also seems safe to say that the Mike Eaves 4 year cycle of unbalanced classes has been taken care of.
      Exactly. Eaves, 5-out-5-in strategy is what ended up hurting the program so much. When one or two left early, that next "cycle" was bound to be a poor one and they were left scrambling to fill the spots (which is not the ideal recruiting situation.)

What strikes me is how quickly the unbalanced classes seem to have been cleaned up. That is a tremendous testament to the work that G2O has done in their recruiting work to this point.
      Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

so wait....the sky isn't falling? Way to make "Lemonade" out of lemons. So in summary, year two of a transition to a new staff will likely see another guy or two on the current roster depart, a couple recruits committed to by the former staff will not end up on campus, guys like Bunz will go back to being walkon's that don't play unless there is an emergency, and we will no longer be scrambling for walk on level talent when a guy decides to leave after a year instead of the anticipated 2 years Leave it to Eaver thought was going to happen. Awesome. Now go get Rizzo so we can have some more howling over numbers and teeth gnashing!!!!

Oh and we are worked up over kids that are 15, 16, 17 years old that "might" be coming in 2 or 3 years. The vast majority of kids are not stepping into a D1 college program at 18, their first year post secondary education. While hopefully some will, it is a pretty good bet some of these kids will need a year or two of junior and not even arrive when they are tentatively projected at this point.
        Last edited by markwojo; 05-31-2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
          It is nice that you care, but why do you care?
          Why does someone who spends almost all of their time in BU and UNH threads care about UW recruiting? You jumped in a few months ago with the same comment and nobody seemed to care then

It looks like nobody seems to agree with you now.

Wisconsin is far from the only team with lots and lots of recruits on the books right now. Looking at the information from College Hockey Inc, there are 8 teams with 10 or less commits on the books.
          University of Alaska-Fairbanks Nanooks 7
          Ferris State University Bulldogs 7
          University of Alabama-Huntsville Chargers 8
          Robert Morris University Colonials 8
          Northern Michigan University Wildcats 9
          University of Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks 10
          College of the Holy Cross Crusaders 10
          Niagara University Purple Eagles 10

There are also 8 teams with more than 25
          Michigan Tech University Huskies 26
          Colorado College Tigers 26
          Quinnipiac University Bobcats 27
          University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish 27
          University of Maine Black Bears 28
          Harvard University Crimson 30
          Northeastern University Huskies 31
          University of Wisconsin Badgers 33

You can look at those teams and pretty clearly say that the second set of teams is better on the average than the first set of teams. Average winning % over the last 4 seasons for the first set (0.444) vs the second set (0.514) backs that up pretty clearly.

It has been said many times that there is a great deal of flux in the process of recruiting. Coaching staffs change and some players move around. Player development changes and players move around. Personal issues change and players move around. Good teams will attract good players, even (especially?) if they know that there is going to be competition.

Last time I checked this is a college hockey board not just a Wisconsin board. Recruiting and overrecruiting in particular are big topics in the college hockey world so its worth a discussion when one program has the most "commits" in the country at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
            Last time I checked this is a college hockey board not just a Wisconsin board. Recruiting and overrecruiting in particular are big topics in the college hockey world so its worth a discussion when one program has the most "commits" in the country at this point.
            start your own thread on the topic and quit trolling the Wisconsin thread.

I am pretty sure G2O know what they are doing. And I think others on here have answered your questions.
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
              Please stop the chicken little the sky is falling shtick....at least on the Wisconsin recruiting thread where most of us are going to get updates on actual Wisconsin recruiting news. If you want to discuss "over recruiting" on a "college hockey board" with the length and breath you seem to want to....start your own thread about Wisconsin "over recruiting"....or better yet "over recruiting" in general and discuss it to your hearts content.

If you can't or won't comprehend that kids that are currently in the program very likely are in the process of leaving (or at the very least will go back to a walk on role they came in as instead of actually having to play out of necessity), some of Eaves forward "commits" are never coming (and probably know full well at this point.....not really cool to put out a tweet that I won't be taking my services to Madison without actually having a destination already lined up), then this conversation is disingenuous. People here have tried to explain two or 3 recruits that likely never come (Abate, Bliss, and maybe even Mersch), guys that have played some (Bunz, Davidson) but likely won't be going forward (Bunz is a freaking walk on!!) and guys we have a pretty good idea won't be here through their senior year (Fredrick/Tischke) not even getting into there has definitely been an uptick with the new staff in the quality of recruits that likely leads to more frequent early departures.

Comment

Hey boys, go easy on him. After all boys, UNH has such a rich history, Lemoncurd must know what he's talking about.

They DO have (wait NO national championships and one time in the N/C game?) actually nuthin', boys.
                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  On Waubesa I caught a 24" whopper opening weekend that T-boned a shallow raider at boatside and my daughter got a 47" opening day with the help of her brothers on a pink and white beetle spin on a 5-6 rod with 8# test. That was quite the intense battle, but we got it in the boat.

I've been pounding a local lake here in Dodge County that I know they are in and I am very determined to pull one out of this lake this year. So far "only" nice pike and largemouth bass to show for the effort, still lots of fun to catch.

We've been reading books by Gelb, Heiting/Saric and doing lunar phase targeted periods as much as we can with work of course getting in the way, though local weather seems to be trumping lunar phase when we are out.

Have you been out on the hunt for the toothy critters?
                  One time (opener) in Vilas Co. where my bro' lives. Quick story, I slipped on some ice on a pier that weekend and, not knowing at the time, shredded my twice previously surgically repaired knee. Doc says it's time for a total knee replacement in July. I'm staying out of boats and taking it easy until the robot fixes my knee!!

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                    One time (opener) in Vilas Co. where my bro' lives. Quick story, I slipped on some ice on a pier that weekend and, not knowing at the time, shredded my twice previously surgically repaired knee. Doc says it's time for a total knee replacement in July. I'm staying out of boats and taking it easy until the robot fixes my knee!!
                    There goes your beer league career. Bummer

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                      There goes your beer league career. Bummer
                      That Zamboni has sailed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                        Oseicki is the best recruiter in the NCAA. His recruits got Wisconsin to two title games in 5 years (06 and 10). He's doing great. 34 recruits ina 4-year span sounds like they expect early departures or don't want to get caught out like Eaces did. Also some Eaves recruits will wash out or not arrive on campus.

Either way sounds like G2O have you all riled up. That means they're doing a great job. UW will be a perennial top 10 team sooner than we had hoped.
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                          Oseicki is the best recruiter in the NCAA. His recruits got Wisconsin to two title games in 5 years (06 and 10). He's doing great. 34 recruits ina 4-year span sounds like they expect early departures or don't want to get caught out like Eaces did. Also some Eaves recruits will wash out or not arrive on campus.

Either way sounds like G2O have you all riled up. That means they're doing a great job. UW will be a perennial top 10 team sooner than we had hoped.
                          Agreed. UW is all about getting the best players, expecting them to leave early and have their replacement already signed up. We're in for a fantastic ride boys and girls.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

A Wisconsin hockey fan’s guide to the NHL Entry Draft

Comment

I'm kinda happy with a 5th rounder and 3 7ths, could translate into some 3 to 4 year players. I love GO's philosophy of bring them in fast and furious, then get them out as soon as they are ready, but I personally bond as a fan with the guys who are there for longer.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

BREAKING NEWS: @MassimoRizzo28 has committed to the @bchllive Vees and will wear number 13 when the puck drops next season #veesnation #BCHL

Comment

Working...
                                X