Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
    Who are the difference makers coming in during the next 4 years? Who are the Luke Kunin type snipers? Geoffrion's? Pavelski's? Who are the Ryan McDonut type defensemen? Schultz's? McBain's? (Gardiner, Suter, Smith, etc, the list goes on and on for past dmen).

Goaltending could be a giant question mark until Lebedeff arrives... Jurusik reminds me of a slightly bigger Shane Connelly. Jack Berry reminds me of Scotty Gudmandson. The "good but not elite" type. I'm not sure those are the goalies that can win championships unless we have game changers (see above). See 2010 as an example, Gudmandson couldn't win it all with the most stacked college hockey team I've seen in my lifetime (started watching from 04-present).
    I would not be overally surprised if Jurusik was to transfer. I remember seeing a tweet that Osiecki retweeted that said if the coaching staff deemed your year not good enough, you'll get axed.

Difference makers I believe would include Cruikshank, Ranta, all forwards committed for 2019 and beyond, and all defensemen committed. I don't think you all realize how stacked the D core will be in 2019 and 2020.
    WISCONSIN BADGERS
    NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
    B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
    Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Thinking back to the last game in 2010 makes me want to puke. It is unfathomable how that team lost.

I haven't seen enough of Berry to pass judgement. There is hope that as he and Jurusik get more experience that they can improve. I do think Cons was better than Jurusik as this point.
      Agreed - goaltending has been (at best) average with the Badgers. We need to bring back a real goalie coach - you know who - BILL HOWARD to help these guys improve.

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Bisquit View Post
        Agreed - goaltending has been (at best) average with the Badgers. We need to bring back a real goalie coach - you know who - BILL HOWARD to help these guys improve.
        I'm willing to wait on a goaltending decision until the defensive core settles down. Defensive play makes a good goalie great or a good goalie look bad depending on how they play.
        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
          I would not be overally surprised if Jurusik was to transfer. I remember seeing a tweet that Osiecki retweeted that said if the coaching staff deemed your year not good enough, you'll get axed.

Difference makers I believe would include Cruikshank, Ranta, all forwards committed for 2019 and beyond, and all defensemen committed. I don't think you all realize how stacked the D core will be in 2019 and 2020.
          Is this the quote to which you refer? "A couple things there: I don't know that everyone that's expected to arrive next season will actually do so. Some may get pushed back, some may go elsewhere. It seems like that's part of the process, especially with a new coaching staff. And there may be current Badgers players who decide to move on (or are told they're not part of the future plans). A lot of things up in the air there."

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
            There are a lot of forwards lined up around the time Engelkes would be arriving. There are 4 other 2000 commits and 5 2001 commits at forward. I would assume the staff likes those 9 forwards as much or more. I like having local kids who may have more of a passion connection with the program then a non local kid, but not all local kids want to go to school locally and the correct approach is to find and bring in the best players willing to come to UW regardless of where you find them.
            Good post and maybe Engelkes doesn't fit. Not to offend the Engelkes family (nor Miami), but it's not like he ended up at North Dakota, East Dakota or Boston College.
            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Another Recruiting Grounds is up, this time covering the NAHL, America's "other" junior hockey league. We breakdown all the goaltenders that the league has produced over the years and how useful this league has been for many college hockey teams:
              Recruiting Grounds: NAHL
              While this one might not touch on UW quite as much as the others, I thought you might enjoy.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Ben Almquist ‏@almauist 27m27 minutes ago
                Proud to announce my commitment to play hockey at the University of Wisconsin. Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way. #GoBadgers

'99 from Holy Family in Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by herbst20 View Post
                  Ben Almquist ‏@almauist 27m27 minutes ago
                  Proud to announce my commitment to play hockey at the University of Wisconsin. Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way. #GoBadgers

'99 from Holy Family in Minnesota
                  Gopher interest?

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

I've updated the sheet penciling Almquist in as a '19-'20 as that would seem to make the most sense right now.

Here's Milewski's article on him.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/c...de11be471.html

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                      Gopher interest?
                      Paging rodent fans for a report please.....
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                        I've updated the sheet penciling Almquist in as a '19-'20 as that would seem to make the most sense right now.

Here's Milewski's article on him.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/c...de11be471.html
                        When I first heard about Ben on the radio I thought, "Sweet, another Swede!" Swedish descent, however, is good enough for me!!

Comment

Former Wisconsin recruit Carson Vance just committed to Western Michigan.
                          WISCONSIN BADGERS
                          WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013

Comment

Former Wisconsin recruit Carson Vance just committed to Western Michigan.
                            Good for him. Best wishes.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                              I have a feeling that Wyatt Kalynuk will make a pledge to Wisconsin soon. Playing this season in Bloomington and was committed to Western Michigan.
                              As I said this a month ago, I was right. Kalynuk pledged to the Badgers today. Defenseman from Manitoba playing in Bloomington.

He'll be coming in in the fall.
                              Last edited by UWisco; 01-12-2017, 08:07 PM.
                              WISCONSIN BADGERS

Comment

As I said this a month ago, I was right. Kalynuk pledged to the Badgers today. Defenseman from Manitoba playing in Bloomington.
                                Was just going to post this. Man, you're quick.

Spreadsheet is updated with him playing next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X