Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Originally posted by herbst20 View Post
    Krygier twins are now committed to Michigan State and will be going this fall
    Saw that on Twitter a while ago while out on the town...interesting. I wonder what the story is? Simply the fact that there is a logjam, or were they possibly being asked to defer a season?

Comment

**** 'em. De-committing is one thing. But asking for a release from a NLI you signed 4 months ago, then go to a school in the same conference is another. **** 'em. I hope we beat the **** out of them everytime we play them.
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by herbst20 View Post
        Krygier twins are now committed to Michigan State and will be going this fall
        Were they going to crack the top 6? Not likely. Didn't they flip from someone else to UW? That gets UW down to 9 D next year with Peltonen assumed not to be coming either, assuming Sexton and Bunz return. 10 D the following year assuming no one leaves early.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Were they going to crack the top 6? Not likely. Didn't they flip from someone else to UW? That gets UW down to 9 D next year with Peltonen assumed not to be coming either, assuming Sexton and Bunz return. 10 D the following year assuming no one leaves early.
          Solid players so it hurts us because they were insurance against injury or if JD doesn't get it together or somebody else goes in the tank, but I'm not overly worried. Probably works better for everybody in the long run. (Until the Krygier boys beat the odds and become superstars elsewhere, that is.) Sounds like a family advisor deal to me as Sparty was barred from recruiting them. Somebody looked at the lineup and decided playing time at UW wasn't worth waiting a year for and then learned playing time could be had at Mi St right away.

Interesting development because there had to be some sort of scholarship $$ tied to their NLI. What will we do with it?

As for the next year, I'd say Peltonnen's a longshot yet to be a Badger and Brady Smith also has a lot of work to do to play for Oz. If anybody leaves early, we may very well be short.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            Solid players so it hurts us because they were insurance against injury or if JD doesn't get it together or somebody else goes in the tank, but I'm not overly worried. Probably works better for everybody in the long run. (Until the Krygier boys beat the odds and become superstars elsewhere, that is.) Sounds like a family advisor deal to me as Sparty was barred from recruiting them. Somebody looked at the lineup and decided playing time at UW wasn't worth waiting a year for and then learned playing time could be had at Mi St right away.

Interesting development because there had to be some sort of scholarship $$ tied to their NLI. What will we do with it?

As for the next year, I'd say Peltonnen's a longshot yet to be a Badger and Brady Smith also has a lot of work to do to play for Oz. If anybody leaves early, we may very well be short.
            I posted on the main thread. Todd M states their dad said they want to play right away and academics might be a problem. Follow him on Twitter, if anybody knows anything, it's him.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

In the big picture, if projected draft picks don't think they're good enough to play here... I don't see that as a bad thing, really.

A year ago these guys were big gets and important to the future, but with no one leaving and the way Ess played this year, and I'd say after a weak start, Inamoto lived up to his billing a lot more as the season wore on as well, there's a high, high likelihood the Krygiers were going to be sitting in the bleachers. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

EODS can add them to the list and we move on. Now let's spend that scholly $$ on somebody who'll play!
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Probably a win win win. Numbers on D made absolutely no sense both this year and going forward. Krygier's were not playing in front of any of last years frosh, Miller/Emberson, or Tischke\Greenway. Add in Peltonen for depth and a development guy/early departure insurance and I think it all works out for the best for UW, the Krygier's, and Peltonen.

Comment

I’ll stand by that this is still bad news, but it’s at least the understandable kind that can maybe be spun the right way on the recruiting trail.

In Oz we trust: so stacked at D that possible NHL draft picks might not have a spot on the roster.

(Okay, D was a weak point last year, but still…)
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Twins Christian, Cole Krygier granted releases from letters of intent with Wisconsin Badgers

"The boys felt like they wanted to get into a better position where they might have more opportunity to earn playing time elsewhere than not play at all for most of the first year," said Todd Krygier, an assistant coach at Western Michigan and former NHL forward.

"It was that simple. And then the other side of it is, academically, we were uncertain whether or not they would be able to get into Wisconsin. They both cleared the clearinghouse, but they weren't meeting the academic requirements to be admitted at this time to Wisconsin."
                    Wisconsin Badgers

National Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90 & 2006

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky! View Post
                      Twins Christian, Cole Krygier granted releases from letters of intent with Wisconsin Badgers

"The boys felt like they wanted to get into a better position where they might have more opportunity to earn playing time elsewhere than not play at all for most of the first year," said Todd Krygier, an assistant coach at Western Michigan and former NHL forward.

"It was that simple. And then the other side of it is, academically, we were uncertain whether or not they would be able to get into Wisconsin. They both cleared the clearinghouse, but they weren't meeting the academic requirements to be admitted at this time to Wisconsin."

The article sort of tacks on the fact they probably can't get into UW at the end, but everything else is irrelevant if you do not have the grades to gain admission.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky! View Post

I can just about bet if they had met the academic requirements they'd be wearing much more attractive colors next year.

I am super stoked about the impact on the scholarship pool. It isn't like UW needs any more players, but it gives them a lot of options. Maybe there's cash for a goalie now.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I have updated the spreadsheet with the Krygiers' moving on to Michigan State.

Have to figure it was an academic thing more than anything at this stage late in the game. Hope they have good careers either way.
                          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Direct quote from their Dad......

"The boys felt like they wanted to get into a better position where they might have more opportunity to earn playing time elsewhere than not play at all for most of the first year," said Todd Krygier, an assistant coach at Western Michigan and former NHL forward. "It was that simple. And then the other side of it is, academically, we were uncertain whether or not they would be able to get into Wisconsin. They both cleared the clearinghouse, but they weren't meeting the academic requirements to be admitted at this time to Wisconsin." Says a lot about Michigan State, but we knew that already, didn't we?

Obviously as fans we don't want anybody here that doesn't want to be here (signing a contract then backing out), but I think the family MIGHT be using academics as an excuse and the playing time is more of a factor, since that was mentioned first, just sayin'.

Anyway, we obviously we still have talented D coming in and next season let's score tons of goals against MSU.

By the way, gwhinwi; thanks for your work that you do and all you other guys, too!

Comment

I wonder if a big Ruskie goalie may become a more viable option with some freed up scholarship dollars. My working theory is still that there are academic hurdles there to play anywhere.

The downside of losing the Krygier's is we become vulnerable to early departures which on the backend seem like they may happen more frequently in the next couple of years. NHL teams are not all that anxious to see guys make it to their senior years (and risk losing an asset for nothing ala the Justin Schultz maneuver). Greenway would be a senior next year and the 3 about to be sophs were all drafted and would be headed toward their junior years next fall. Throw in Miller being a bottom of round one pick (or upper second) and Emberson being in the 2-3 round range and we suddenly have the pleasant problem of guys that won't make it to their senior year.

Comment

Ditto on the kudos to gwhinwi. It's just so great to have that reference so handy.

I don't think there's any hope for Peltonnen to be on the roster in the fall. Just doesn't make any sense. If they really wanted to add a D it would make more sense to bring in Vorlickey or Lamaster. Neither of which makes sense to me either. Bunz or Sexton can play 8 minutes competently if it really came down to it. Much better to add a goalie or a center. Super accelerate Turcotte or sign Rizzo. Or bring in an overage Canadian.

Also Caufield scores on a break out for USA to take a 1-0 lead over the Russians. USA! USA! USA!
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X