Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Quote Originally Posted by DPlaya View Post
    I was thinking with Mersch's brother having played at UW and Abate coming from Chicago Mission where an excellent relationship needs to be maintained those guys would end up at UW for sure but who knows?
    I doubt the current staff will feel beholden to Mersch as his brother was an Eaves era player. While I understand staying in good graces with the Mission, I would think giving potential players honest feedback of where they stand is the key. The Mission don't have much uncommitted in the next few years either. Mersch has not exactly dominated the USHL in his first 2 seasons there and Abate was good at Janesville, but played in the NAHL and not the highest level of junior A. Both player have a lot to prove in the USHL this season if they expect to actually get playing time at an upper level D1 school and I would expect the UW staff has made them well of aware of that. When it comes to these verbal commits, we don't really know what the commitment is from a financial standpoint. I doubt UW at any point told a player of the level of Abate/Mersch they are getting a full ride and it is more of a keep developing and we'll sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by markwojo View Post
    I doubt the current staff will feel beholden to Mersch as his brother was an Eaves era player. While I understand staying in good graces with the Mission, I would think giving potential players honest feedback of where they stand is the key. The Mission don't have much uncommitted in the next few years either. Mersch has not exactly dominated the USHL in his first 2 seasons there and Abate was good at Janesville, but played in the NAHL and not the highest level of junior A. Both player have a lot to prove in the USHL this season if they expect to actually get playing time at an upper level D1 school and I would expect the UW staff has made them well of aware of that. When it comes to these verbal commits, we don't really know what the commitment is from a financial standpoint. I doubt UW at any point told a player of the level of Abate/Mersch they are getting a full ride and it is more of a keep developing and we'll sort it out.
    Cruikshank is an Eaves forward recruit as well but he has put up points (albeit in the scoring-happy BCHL). I would think his skating ability is attractive to the new staff as well since they seem to be amassing guys that can really skate. Messner is an Eaves forward recruit as well but he seems to have fared pretty well in the USHL so far.

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators

Jeez,I'm getting old. About 15 years ago and beyond, I knew about every 1983 to 1988 kid; strengths, weaknesses, possible destinations, etc. Now we're looking at 2000's to 2002's.

Get off my lawn.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Jeez,I'm getting old. About 15 years ago and beyond, I knew about every 1983 to 1988 kid; strengths, weaknesses, possible destinations, etc. Now we're looking at 2000's to 2002's.

Get off my lawn.
    Once the grandkids get to a certain age playing hockey you'll be back in the know.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Once the grandkids get to a certain age playing hockey you'll be back in the know.
    Haha! I'm having too much fun just being a fan and not an analytical fan!
    The Rock - Kessel 2020.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi
    "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Registered College Hockey Addict

With the Caufields committing I think I have Wisconsin at 29 commits from 2018-2020 which is crazy. Something has to give.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    With the Caufields committing I think I have Wisconsin at 29 commits from 2018-2020 which is crazy. Something has to give.
    I don't know how much scholarship money would be committed to the older brother here based on I don't think he is a blue chip/full scholarship type of recruit and the in state tuition is another discount advantage for the home state school. Likewise, even for the younger Caufield an in state 75% paid tuition is probably similar to what any other out of state school's "full" (generally 90%) scholarship tuition would be. Further, we have no idea what percentage of a scholarship any of the committed kids have actually been promised.

My guess is something already has given and the people that need to know do and we'll find out in due time.

#1 Badger Fan

Jack Gorniak commits to Wisconsin.

Sad Panda
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by UWisco View Post
    Jack Gorniak commits to Wisconsin.
    Spreadsheet is updated. I have him listed as a '19-'20 at this point.

So you're bringing back JV teams then

Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    So you're bringing back JV teams then
    Won't end well. Seen this play out before. Only thing I can think of is that Granato isn't planning on being around a long time. Wants to win in short term regardless of consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by markwojo View Post
    I don't know how much scholarship money would be committed to the older brother here based on I don't think he is a blue chip/full scholarship type of recruit and the in state tuition is another discount advantage for the home state school. Likewise, even for the younger Caufield an in state 75% paid tuition is probably similar to what any other out of state school's "full" (generally 90%) scholarship tuition would be. Further, we have no idea what percentage of a scholarship any of the committed kids have actually been promised.

My guess is something already has given and the people that need to know do and we'll find out in due time.
    There is always fallout from pushing too many kids back and pulling offers. Always. I think they have some slack with the coaching change, but the number of recruits at this point is beyond obscene. Even if you anticipate one and done's, they'll still have to push a lot back or pull scholarships.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    There is no public information that the Caufields have committed to Wisconsin. If you have that information I'd appreciate a link.

Anyone know how many recruits are left from Eaves era and if some of them are not coming?

Sad Panda

Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    Anyone know how many recruits are left from Eaves era and if some of them are not coming?
    I have 5 previous Eaves recruits on the recruiting spreadsheet. Based on numbers, you would have to guess that at least 3 will not be coming next year.

Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    That would be great to know. As it stands now having 16+ Forwards and 10+ Defenseman is quite excessive.

Let's go RED!

Josh Bohlin commits.

Stop the madness! Not.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Sad Panda

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Josh Bohlin commits.

Stop the madness! Not.
    Spreadsheet updated again.

It's getting crazy right now. They have to be projecting a large number of Eaves recruits not coming and players leaving early.

Thread Information